any telescope people out there? - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac
any telescope people out there?

nice full moon out, decided to try out my new to my telescope. Pretty cool to see the craters on the moon. Got to read the manual I down loaded the other day. The scope is a meade etx60, I guess it sets to something, then zeros itself out and the controller let's you pick a star and the scope points to whatever star. At least I think its suppose to do that. jim
71350SS likes this.

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 6:18 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage
Re: any telescope people out there?

The full moon is cool to look at. A decent pair of binoculars is great as well for the moon. To really see the moon, look when it is NOT full, when it is maybe 1/3 visible, almost 1/2. Then the craters on the edge of the light really stand out.
I have 2 telescopes, to me, the only thing that really amazed me with a WOW! LOOK AT THAT! Was when I saw the ring around Saturn. I was stunned. It was tiny, white spot with a tiny white ring, but I knew what it was.
The better telescope I have was my in-laws. It is a 5" (130mm?) I have also seen Jupiter and can see faint bands on it.
BUT where I live, I don't have a dark back yard, and our sky is nothing like you probably can get out west.
When it is perfectly clear here it is also one of those nights when it is 30° below the night before, and I never feel like going out.
Here is a couple of crappy pictures I took through my scope. The moon picture is scaled down a lot from the original. The other 2 are severely cropped down to just see the planet. The actual image looked a lot sharper to your eye, and very small.
Another thing, with any scope or even binoculars, you can see the 4 big moons of Jupiter easily (unless they are directly in line with Jupiter).
Get an app on your phone/tablet to track what is visible when, read some magazines...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moon.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	591852  
Attached Images

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 7:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

te full moon definitely is so bright it bugs my eyes thru the scope. theres a cap I can remove and add a camera adapter I guess. jim

Jim

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 8:46 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
te full moon definitely is so bright it bugs my eyes thru the scope. theres a cap I can remove and add a camera adapter I guess. jim
They make a “moon filter” that screws to the back of whichever lens you are using. It has a slight tint which takes the harshness out of the light. Think miniature sunglasses.
71350SS likes this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 9:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

Jim, does your scope "track" or do you have to follow what is in view? Amazing how fast things move out of sight. We set up at a high mountain lake cabin with almost no light pollution to impede scope. It's stunning when you can actually see part of The Milky Way Galaxy we are in.

1970-LS5, #28- Fathom Blue,TH400, original motor car.
1970- NOM, 496, M21, #48 Forest Green.
1972- Malibu, 350. TH350- original motor car, #43 Gulf Green.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

yes it tracks and has something like 1700 clusters in the program.

Jim

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 10:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

I have a room full of scopes, and a couple of them are go-to scopes. I prefer just sweeping the sky with a manual mount though "discovering" stuff. It's a great hobby that really makes you ponder how small we really are in the scheme of things. I'm a member over on cloudynights.com, it's a lot like Chevelles.com for astronomy. Congrats on the scope, and be careful. Once you get a taste of it, aperture fever takes over. This pic of jupiter was taken with my phone through the eyepiece of a small 80mm refractor and processed with sharpcap photo stacking software. Easier done than said.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 12:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ69chevelle View Post
I have a room full of scopes, and a couple of them are go-to scopes. I prefer just sweeping the sky with a manual mount though "discovering" stuff. It's a great hobby that really makes you ponder how small we really are in the scheme of things. I'm a member over on cloudynights.com, it's a lot like Chevelles.com for astronomy. Congrats on the scope, and be careful. Once you get a taste of it, aperture fever takes over. This pic of jupiter was taken with my phone through the eyepiece of a small 80mm refractor and processed with sharpcap photo stacking software. Easier done than said.
I have a mount for my Nikon D5200 to put on my Celestron 5" and it has tracking, but not go-to. I would be proud to get a photo like that! I do have ability and time to do stacking, but never the desire. I need to bite the bullet and go for it. I REALLY want to get a nebula and/or galaxy next, then go back and try for better Jupiter and Saturn.
Also I want to re-create the study of Jupiter's 4 moons that got Galileo kicked out of the church! Should be easy now that home stuff is so advanced, and we already know what to expect. I want to do it without any study prep.
ZZ69chevelle likes this.

ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 3:10 PM
Tech Team
Mike

I have 10" light bucket that brings me lots of joy, I would love to do some amature astrophotgraphy but I would another set up and i cant justify another expensive hobby.
ZZ69chevelle likes this.

15 years in Craft Brewing/ Distilling Industry
Lead Maintenance Mechanic
Submarine Service SSN 575 / SSN 683
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 3:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

I almost got sucked into the automated setups and it is still in the back of my mind. I figure 8" minimum, and a solid mount, and custom/home made controllers, and then I would build a shelter to block neighbors lights, then I would sit out there looking at clouds getting eaten up by bugs while I shiver.
ZZ69chevelle and Stalkingbear like this.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 19, 2:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

took it to my kids house in sierra vista, dark skyscrapers full moon. focused in on the moon and showed it to the kids and grand kids...... all I got was "cool" and nobody took a second look. All well, found the tracking motors do work, will just put it on craigslist and see if theres a buyer, if not, it's getting nice out at night, I'll just figure out the control and keep it.
Been buying too much stuff lately and need to start selling some of this stuff, reloading set up and telescope last weekend, 2 old revolvers today (1897 colt new army) and a old .38 Hopkins and allen. a 1881 verterli rifle, couple weeks ago. jim

Jim

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 19, 8:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

I guess all of the telescopes i've had are too cheap. they only made a little white dot into a big one.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 19, 11:00 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Unfortunately, cheap department store telescopes have put more people off to amateur astronomy rather than kindling their interest. For anyone with a passing interest, I always recommend using some decent binoculars. It's amazing how much more you'll see through them.
Pioneer4x4 likes this.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 19, 1:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

I had one but sold it when the neighbor girl moved out. j.k.
Pioneer4x4 likes this.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 19, 1:03 AM
Tech Team
Ken

Garage

I started my astronomy hobby about 20 years ago when my wife surprised me with a Meade ETX-70 for Christmas. A few years later I upgraded to a Meade LX90 8" SCT which I enjoyed for about 10 years. I then sold it and purchased an Obsession 12.5 Dob, and added a Stellarvue 105 refractor. My wife and I attend the Golden State Star Party every year, and the Oregon Star Party every 3 or 4 years. I agree with what ZZ69chevelle said about cheap department store telescopes. In our astronomy club we refer to those as "hobby killers". With their cheap wobbly mounts they can be very frustrating to use. Starting with good binoculars is wise advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in