Thinking about selling the chevelle - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

120Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 66 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 6:30 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Re: Thinking about selling the chevelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperb View Post
Car runs great. has 3:31 gear. Last year I was working some crazy hours. Now im 8-5 no weekends. Once the weather breaks here I will take it to work to change the oil and maybe try to drive it more. Could be that I work on cars all day that could be why I lost interest in it.
Do something crazy , like drive it to work once in a while!

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 66 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 8:50 AM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

I was getting bored with mine and thinking about selling it about 15 years ago. Then I let some friends talk me into joining them at the drag strip one fall Saturday, and I've been dumping loads of money at it to make it faster ever since.
427L88 likes this.
post #48 of 66 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 9:52 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsCamino View Post
Ray,
GA 400...only the "slower" ones get caught.
Yeah I kinda got that feeling from the Cop. He did tell me that they had some loon in one of those foreign supercars going so fast they did not even go out after him. They radioed ahead and had a road block with LOTS of lights flashing set up further south toward Dunwoody. I am pretty sure the guy was ripping along even faster than 128 MPH. The tone of the officers voice when he described the event gave me the impression the cops have some sort of self imposed hot pursuit limit. He did say they got the guy somewhere down below Northridge, maybe near the MARTA station?

For me the damn lane changers darting in and out of lanes @ 25+ MPH above the speed the traffic is moving at gives me the creeps. The slot between two cars minding their own business is say 25 feet, here comes Mr. 40Something (high powered businessman / "suit" ) in an 18 foot car slicing between the aforementioned normal drivers moving along with 25 or 35 feet of separation. That stuff really took me off my bike in short order. "Im sorry" doesn't cut it when they have knocked ya off the bike.
427L88 likes this.
post #49 of 66 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 10:58 AM
Gold Member
Gene

What, aint no country roads in Georgia? And the reason I chose to NEVER commute on a motorbike. We seem to be multiplying dmbfcks on our highways.
BossHogg69 likes this.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #50 of 66 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 11:12 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
What, aint no country roads in Georgia? And the reason I chose to NEVER commute on a motorbike. We seem to be multiplying dmbfcks on our highways.
Gene

There are back roads in GA but once ya actually get onto them (After driving where the crazies are on the highways) there is nothing but nothing WAY WAY out there. If you need things one would associate with suburban living you gotta stay in suburbia and there in lies the rub. I live in a golf course community...after you leave the community within a half mile I am on a "secondary road" road that is 3 lanes both ways. One day I was sitting at the light waiting to get onto that secondary road and I decided to count the cars that went by during ONE cycle of the green light. ONE HUNDRED PLUS CARS WENT BY during the time the light was green for those folks out on the above mentioned secondary road. This did not happen during the usual rush hour traffic it was during what used to be called low traffic time. Maybe it still is low traffic time somewhere on this earth but not where I live. I am absolutely sure the next green cycle of that same light saw another 100+ cars past that same intersection. See why driving isn't fun here anymore and an automatic seems like a good idea (sometimes)?
427L88 likes this.
post #51 of 66 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 12:21 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Not a big deal around here to me...you adapt or you surrender.
Drove 36 miles each way to work...thru Atlanta...for 25+ years.
Motorcycle, Chevelle, truck, Vette, econo box...it's all the same.

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #52 of 66 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 4:31 PM
Gold Member
Gene

I hear ya Ray; I was stick in Columbus. Even back then, Atlanta was way too busy for me.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #53 of 66 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 5:31 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsCamino View Post
Not a big deal around here to me...you adapt or you surrender.
Drove 36 miles each way to work...thru Atlanta...for 25+ years.
Motorcycle, Chevelle, truck, Vette, econo box...it's all the same.
Agree on adapt or surrender...my adaptation strategy was to do what needed doing between the rush hours. Now there seems to be no "between the rush hours" anymore. I tell folks it is not so much where you are going in Atlanta that matters but when you are going wherever it is you are headed that matters. I want to drive the old buggy but the thought of getting in a traffic jam with no air and a stick shift gives me pause. I need to charge the air conditioner and maybe step up for some radiator work. I already went to a Center Force PP and heim joint clutch linkage pieces so my beat up arthritic left ankle doesn't revolt when I am in traffic.
post #54 of 66 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 7:48 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperb View Post
Last year I put a whole whopping 50 miles on the car during summer. Car sits in the garage most of the time. Maybe taken to the cruise night less then 2 miles away on a Saturday. Think I lost interest in it.
You do what you gotta do! I sold my 71 11 years ago. I'm sure more than a few here will tell you if you do sell it, you'll regret it two or three years down the road. There's no way to know that for a fact. Maybe you'll have some seller's remorse, maybe not. Maybe it needs to go to someone who can enjoy it more and drive it more than 50 miles a year. If you do decide to sell it, maybe you'll look at different projects or you might want to take a break from projects for a while.

In my case, since I sold my 71, I've been looking at 70s and 80s vintage Jeep Grand Wagoneers. I've even looked at some older Toyota land Cruisers. If you ever decide to shift your focus to something non-Chevelle, you'll still have a wealth of knowledge here since this might be the most diverse car site on the web. I've seen better advice given to Mopar and Ford guys here than on many Mopar and Ford sites. As long as non-Chevelle stuff stays in Bench racing, no one has a problem with it.
BillsCamino likes this.

A man with an experience will never be at the mercy of a man with an argument.
post #55 of 66 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 8:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
All I can say,I enjoy the heck out of all my cars. They are meant to be driven. I take my Chevelle out whenever I want. Go for a cruise,car show or drag race. And have no problem with smoking the tires and "using it" as intended. It never gets old for me....life is too short for regrets.
Thatís my attitude. I drive mine to work when I am sure itís not going to rain. If I do get caught in the rain, I always detail it before putting it up.

My car is never ďfinishedĒ, because I might just up and decide to change something.

Itís a toy. A toy I can do anything to I please, while still being my Chevelle.
oman, 427L88, busterwivell and 3 others like this.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.
https://www.chevelles.com/showroom/s.../22377/cat/604
post #56 of 66 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 7:37 PM
Jim

Easy way to solve the boredom is to buy a 4 speed car unless you are racing. I have owned a lot of muscle cars and some Corvettes and quickly tired of any automatic. A Chevelle Manual is a blast to drive. Upgraded the sound system and having air is great. Then driving only gets better.
427L88, HKalin, jrkrace and 1 others like this.
post #57 of 66 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 8:52 PM
Tech Team
Andy

Garage

Hey I get it, if its collecting dust and you are not that into it... selling it makes sense.

On the other hand, I agree with others on here, find or create reasons to drive it..... The more I drive mine, the more I want to drive mine.

But that may be because I like driving my cars. Living in the Northeast I dont get to drive them enough. I love when I get some days I can drive them to work, and neither has a working radio. My 69 GTO is a BBC 5 speed with 440Trq/440 HP to the rear wheels. It's a blast to drive. I look for reasons to drive it, and cant help myself but stick my foot into it. You cant get that feeling in a new car (without spending an awful lot more cash). Its loud, obnoxious and I love every minute of driving it.

My Pro Street Vega is just as much fun to drive, Like I said Neither have creature comforts, no radios, no AC, just some windows and vents that do a great job. And everywhere I go, people always are giving my cars second looks and talking to me about them. I never get that in my Volvo XC60.... When I get to some safe areas, I can let em rip.... I dont think I will ever tire of THAT, but everyone is different.
427L88 likes this.
post #58 of 66 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 10:50 AM
Team Member
Dan

I've become bored of mine on occasion,and even didn't drive it all summer 2 years ago. But, I know if I sell, I'm out of the hobby. it's too expensive to get into at the level I would want ( frame off restoration quality car ). Sometimes just a little tinkering will keep your interest up, like new wheels and tires, or maybe re-detailing some items that have shown some wear over the years. A couple of years ago I disassembled and re-detailed the front brakes, spindles & brackets. They weren't overly bad, but had lost their fresh appearance after a few years of summer driving. Was a nice easy project and made me feel good about the car again. Even though nobody has ever looked under my car, I know it's done nicely.

On the flip side, if it's time to move on, so be it. You need to be happy and get enjoyment out of whatever hobbies you may have.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

Dan
post #59 of 66 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 4:15 PM

I have a '66 convertible Chevelle SS. I hope I love this car after it is done with the restoration. I bought with the idea of repainting is all. Once the shop got into it it was a POS. Guy lied about everything, even put Dynamat and Rhino liner to cover up rust holes on the bottom floor pans. Had to replace all the pans, trunk and entire floor instead of piecing repairs. The guy I bought it off of has changed addresses about 5 times in 4 years. eBay has a warranty but it sat too long at the shop to do anything. Car is stunning so far, but it really pisses me off that someone is that dishonest. Said it had new upholstery, it did but was blue and red dyed black. Top was dyed as well.
post #60 of 66 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 19, 9:37 AM
Tech Team
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrylee86 View Post
I have a '66 convertible Chevelle SS. I hope I love this car after it is done with the restoration. I bought with the idea of repainting is all. Once the shop got into it it was a POS. Guy lied about everything, even put Dynamat and Rhino liner to cover up rust holes on the bottom floor pans. Had to replace all the pans, trunk and entire floor instead of piecing repairs. The guy I bought it off of has changed addresses about 5 times in 4 years. eBay has a warranty but it sat too long at the shop to do anything. Car is stunning so far, but it really pisses me off that someone is that dishonest. Said it had new upholstery, it did but was blue and red dyed black. Top was dyed as well.

Wow. I was reading this and at first I was thinking maybe the previous owner hadnít known because it was done before even him, but calling the dyed seats new.. nah, thatís just devious.

I for one will hold on to my 68 as long as possible. My 72 is another story.. the one I bought to repair, flip, and use the proceeds for the 68..and then on the ride home my wife started calling it her carwhuch canned that idea.. 5yrs later I still have it. Well, it used to go to cruises a lot and she would drive it, but it was a challenge for her to drive (4í10Ē) with a lumpy 350 and manual drum brakes all around. I added a 77 Vette to the collection and now she drives that everywhere.

1968 Chevelle Malibu 454, mild cam, 30 over, 12-bolt 3.73 rear
1972 Chevelle Malibu 350, radical cam, 30 over, 10-bolt 3.55 rear
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6L (281), Stock
There are no Ford vs. Chevy wars in my garage. It's all U.S. muscle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in