New Carburetor... - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 4:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
New Carburetor...

I got my shiny new carburetor today. Now I just have to get motivated to install it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190411_124742.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	591402  

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q61TTYXmIsc

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFm_ISn_UDA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 7:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage
Re: New Carburetor...

I can't wait to get my 'Bu out. My plan was to evict The Wife's 2015 Impala from "my" garage on April One. Then I would have installed my new Comfort Grip Steering Wheel (I finally got the backordered parts today) while working in my semi-warm garage. Instead, we got a blizzard with 10 inches of snow and I'm out snow-blowing my driveway.

In retrospect, I'm actually fortunate that The Wife's Impala had not evicted, because there'd be heck to pay if The Wife had to scrape snow off her car.

What's your excuse? My friend, get out the and install that carb! Drive that car.
Bow_Tied likes this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 9:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

I had to install the nipple on the back of the carburetor, so the sealant needs to setup overnight. But, I did get the dual feed fuel line installed. I need to tie the choke open (since I have not ever used a choke here that I can recall), as it won't stay open on its own (that is why I like the manual choke version better, but I ordered the electric choke version - I could have saved another $39 - such is life). Maybe I will get it installed tomorrow.
Kirk's67SS and shovelrick like this.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 2:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Well, it was overcast and cool this morning, so I decided to get it installed. I discovered, however, that I can't use the longer carb studs on one side (in anticipation of getting a better throttle cable/return spring bracket). So, I put the old studs back in. Then I discovered that the 90 AN fitting from the old fuel log was female (the adapter fitting that I got for the fuel pressure gauge is also female). So, off to O'Reilly I went (we have a location here that used to have a 'speed shop' section, but they took it out). Luckily, they had the union fitting that I needed.

I got it all put on, then discovered that the front return spring was catching on the idle speed screw, so off it came. I now have to find a return spring bracket for the front of the engine that I can attach to an intake bolt, so that the return spring will be straight in line with the throttle lever. If I can find a throttle stud that will fit into the smaller hole on the throttle lever, then I can utilize the large hole for the return spring in the same location I had it before. The threads on the throttle stud that I have are too big around to fit into the small hole and I don't want to drill anything on a brand new carburetor. I may try to see if I can locate a factory throttle stud, as they have smaller diameter threads.

I powered the fuel pump on - good pressure and no leaks. I started it up, warmed it up a bit, then made a couple of adjustments. I ended up putting the accelerator pump rod at the deepest setting and that took away the slight hesitation coming off of idle (you may recall the major issue I had with that with the Edelbrock 750 that I had).

I took it for a drive and it is definitely pulling harder than my Speed Demon was. I haven't noticed any bog when the secondary flap starts to open, so I am going to leave it alone for now. Depending on how it drives over the next several days, I might make another adjustment or two (step up rods/springs, or secondary air flap if necessary). But it is running pretty dang good for now.

P.S. Don't mock my engine compartment - it might make me call you mean names.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thunder AVS2 1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	591430  
LeoP, Kirk's67SS and shovelrick like this.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 12:39 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakkoWarner View Post
Well, it was overcast and cool this morning, so I decided to get it installed. I discovered, however, that I can't use the longer carb studs on one side (in anticipation of getting a better throttle cable/return spring bracket). So, I put the old studs back in. Then I discovered that the 90 AN fitting from the old fuel log was female (the adapter fitting that I got for the fuel pressure gauge is also female). So, off to O'Reilly I went (we have a location here that used to have a 'speed shop' section, but they took it out). Luckily, they had the union fitting that I needed.

I got it all put on, then discovered that the front return spring was catching on the idle speed screw, so off it came. I now have to find a return spring bracket for the front of the engine that I can attach to an intake bolt, so that the return spring will be straight in line with the throttle lever. If I can find a throttle stud that will fit into the smaller hole on the throttle lever, then I can utilize the large hole for the return spring in the same location I had it before. The threads on the throttle stud that I have are too big around to fit into the small hole and I don't want to drill anything on a brand new carburetor. I may try to see if I can locate a factory throttle stud, as they have smaller diameter threads.

I powered the fuel pump on - good pressure and no leaks. I started it up, warmed it up a bit, then made a couple of adjustments. I ended up putting the accelerator pump rod at the deepest setting and that took away the slight hesitation coming off of idle (you may recall the major issue I had with that with the Edelbrock 750 that I had).

I took it for a drive and it is definitely pulling harder than my Speed Demon was. I haven't noticed any bog when the secondary flap starts to open, so I am going to leave it alone for now. Depending on how it drives over the next several days, I might make another adjustment or two (step up rods/springs, or secondary air flap if necessary). But it is running pretty dang good for now.

P.S. Don't mock my engine compartment - it might make me call you mean names.
Nothing wrong with that engine compartment, looks ok to me. What speed demon did you have? they can be a little tricky to tune as I have found out. I know after I learned how to set them mine have run very good. The little 650 speed demon I have is a pretty good little carburetor. Let us know how the new Eddy you have works with the new Annular boosters in it.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 4:12 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Out of curiosity, did the car stall when you turned the first corner
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 8:48 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Garage

Quote:
I had to install the nipple on the back of the carburetor, so the sealant needs to setup overnight. But, I did get the dual feed fuel line installed. I need to tie the choke open (since I have not ever used a choke here that I can recall), as it won't stay open on its own (that is why I like the manual choke version better, but I ordered the electric choke version - I could have saved another $39 - such is life). Maybe I will get it installed tomorrow.

I'd remove all the choke parts.. I think the air might flow through the carb better. I noticed the old NASCAR race cars did this back in the sixties..
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 8:49 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent4 View Post
In 30+ years of playing with carbs, I never could get the cornering stumble out of the AFB.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Chevele View Post
Nothing wrong with that engine compartment, looks ok to me. What speed demon did you have? they can be a little tricky to tune as I have found out. I know after I learned how to set them mine have run very good. The little 650 speed demon I have is a pretty good little carburetor. Let us know how the new Eddy you have works with the new Annular boosters in it.
I have a Speed Demon 750 VS. There are times when I will put a kit in it and it runs fine. Other times, it just doesn't want to run like it should. This last time it just felt like it wasn't getting the secondaries opened up all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent4 View Post
I have not experienced that so far. I do, however, have the dual feed fuel line on it, so that should help to eliminate that scenario. So far it is running well. The only thing I have noticed is that I occasionally get a slight stumble from a stop. I have the accelerator pump in the bottom hole - now that I think about it, it may need to be in the top hole for a more 'aggressive' pump shot.

It is pulling harder than my Speed Demon was. I can push it to the floor on the freeway and there is no hesitation, like I was getting with the old carburetor. The Edelbrock was pretty much on the money out of the box. I may get my vacuum gauge out in the near future, just to see if the vacuum reading is the same as the Speed Demon.

On a plus note, I fueled up on Friday and my mileage went up again - all the way to 7.4 MPG. What I don't know is if we are on the summer blend yet. The current tank of fuel will let me see how this Edelbrock is going to do on mileage (it may actually go down, because this carburetor makes me want to get on it more). I am waiting on a throttle cable stud, so that I can relocate it - I need a second return spring.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 1:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

7.4 mpg ? that sure doesn't sound very good for a DD, or did I miss something? glad your new carb runs better though

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 5:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
7.4 mpg ? that sure doesn't sound very good for a DD, or did I miss something? glad your new carb runs better though
The highest I have ever gotten around town is 9. I usually average 8.3 or so in the summer, and 7.3 or so in the winter. It dropped a lot lower this past winter - averaging about 6.3. After I replaced the distributor, the first tank was 6.7 and this last tank was 7.4. If it is still the winter blend fuel, then that is acceptable. We'll see how the Edelbrock does.
shovelrick likes this.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 9:27 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro462 View Post
In 30+ years of playing with carbs, I never could get the cornering stumble out of the AFB.
You are not the first one for that complaint on the Eddy AFB carbs. I have never had a hesitation from the carter line of carbs ever, only the secondary bog which I do know how to fix after getting beat one night by a buddy. The next time we raced it was a different story and he was shocked when I told him it only cost me $5 to fit the problem.
hydro462 likes this.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 9:31 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
I have a Speed Demon 750 VS. There are times when I will put a kit in it and it runs fine. Other times, it just doesn't want to run like it should. This last time it just felt like it wasn't getting the secondaries opened up all the way.
The way to fix that is to s**t can the Demon secondary pod and use a Holley one with the replaceable cover or the QF adjustable one.
You may have to grind some area as the Holley one is not a direct fit but it's easy to do. I did one on a 650 Speed Demon for a guy and it opened the secondaries a lot faster. Seems the BG pod and spring setup just, well kinda sucks.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Chevele View Post
The way to fix that is to s**t can the Demon secondary pod and use a Holley one with the replaceable cover or the QF adjustable one.
You may have to grind some area as the Holley one is not a direct fit but it's easy to do. I did one on a 650 Speed Demon for a guy and it opened the secondaries a lot faster. Seems the BG pod and spring setup just, well kinda sucks.
That carburetor is sitting on a shelf in my shed and will probably be there for a very long time - especially if adjusting the accelerator pump rod on the Edelbrock cures the occasional off idle stumble. The Edelbrock is just more responsive everywhere.
LeoP and 68Chevele like this.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 12:15 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
That carburetor is sitting on a shelf in my shed and will probably be there for a very long time - especially if adjusting the accelerator pump rod on the Edelbrock cures the occasional off idle stumble. The Edelbrock is just more responsive everywhere.
Yup, when the Eddy carb works right the car is a treat to drive and goes very well. I had a 1405 that would just perform at WOT like no other 600 I have ever used, but the low rpm drivability was less than stellar. Tried to change a bunch of rods and jets with the springs but the engine still was bucking at low RPM and was really bad in 6th gear. Put my 750hp Holley VS on it and the car ran perfect. Funny thing is a few years ago when I modified it I had no trouble, so I suspect that a passage somewhere has fuel crud in it. Just don't have the time to play with it anymore as I just want to drive the car this year. If you still have that stumble try using or enlarge the squirter on the Eddy carb is cured mt 600's problem when I used the larger one from a 750 Eddy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in