USS Forrestal, 1967 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 19, 8:05 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage
USS Forrestal, 1967

This is a documented account of what happened. Scroll down the page to "zuni Rocket launched." I guess they were known for electrical problems.
I hadn't read this before. Now we know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_USS_Forrestal_fire

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 19, 10:06 AM
Tech Team
John

Re: USS Forrestal, 1967

I worked with a guy who was on the USS Forest Fire when that went down. Barely escaped with his life. Terrible tragedy.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 19, 12:51 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Someone posted about Senator John McCain;

"over 130 men died due to his smart-ass-ness and then was the only man helicoptered off because the other men wanted his hide"

What was that all about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLong1 View Post
I don't post much but had to reply to this..........What elevated McCain to hero status???.....Was it that he graduated annapolis fifth from the bottom of 400 cadets...or was it he trashed three planes due to incompentence before he his stint on the Forrestal in July 67 where over 130 men died due to his smart-ass-ness and then was the only man helicoptered off because the other men wanted his hide (he said he "wanted to get right back in the fight" was why he left. Then maybe it was being shot down over North Vietnam, again hot-dogging and flying at a lower altitude than he was supposed to be. Then, in the Hanoi Hilton there are questionable reports as to his status there. Maybe he was a hero because he wanted to be Pres. so bad in the late '80s that he sold his soul to Charles Keating as part of a bunch of Senators who defrauded the savings & loan institutions and cost the taxpayers millions known as the" Keating Five" scandel. There is one other reason he could be a hero............Daddy and GrandPa were both 4 star Admirals' who had a bunch of power in Washington and could formulate a white-washed government report to enhance his career.

Thank God for Trump, C.M. DeLong Sgt. USMC 1969-1973 Vietnam Vet
1966 Chevelle 427

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 19, 12:53 PM
Gold Member
Gene

https://youtu.be/tIE2QfDzmGc

Required viewing by any sailor during my time of service.

68 SS396
Team Chevelle Gold #14
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 19, 3:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post

"over 130 men died due to his smart-ass-ness and then was the only man helicoptered off because the other men wanted his hide"

What was that all about?
I had to see for myself what caused the accident and who the blame was placed on. Not too much there on McCain from what I read. Zuni rocket fired from an electrical surge when shifting power buses from the plane to the ship.
Any TCers on board this ship when it happened?

USN-SSBN 645-G
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 19, 5:00 PM
Tech Team
Gary

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene McGill View Post
https://youtu.be/tIE2QfDzmGc

Required viewing by any sailor during my time of service.
Yep, required to see when I was in also. Most people don't realize that the one thing we trained more hours for than anything else in the Navy was firefighting. I was on a Destroyer, and it was only 563 ft. long...either put the damn fire out or start swimming!
LeoP and boyd66k20 like this.

Gary

(oo_____oo)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 19, 6:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage

Not to defend, but only to explain what I experienced in my 25 years in the Navy. I too saw the film clip about the Forrestal, attended Navy firefighting school and fought my share of shipboard fires. None as big as the Forrestal Thank God.
I didn't serve on the Forrestal but did serve on another carrier for two cruises off Vietnam, working the flight deck as a catapult electrician. I got to know a lot of pilots during the time I was onboard.

Imagine you are 23-25 years old. Someone just gave you a plane with your name on it that's faster than the speed of sound and can kick almost any other planes butt. You're a better pilot than the Air Force since you can land on a pitching carrier deck, at night, in a storm. And you are a cocky smart-azz. (Think Top Gun) So the fact that McCain was a smart azz isn't surprising. Most young pilots were.

After any incident involving a death or a major $$$ accident the Navy convenes a Board of Review to determine the cause of the accident. This may take months to reach a conclusion. Until then the cause is subject to rumor and speculation.
More than likely people thought McCain hit the firing switch launching the missile. In this instance it was determined by the Board to be a power surge as mentioned above.
Dean, LeoP, boyd66k20 and 2 others like this.

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 19, 7:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post

What was that all about?

I found the comments in that post to be totally unfounded after conducting a thorough google search of each sentence. A lot of the accusations were found word for word on ...lets just say - far less than non-partisan websites.

One more thing. The Forrestal investigation revealed than a zuni rocket misfired from an F-4 Phantom. McCain flew the A-4 therefore no culpability on his part.

For a more thorough and BTW quite informative documentary of the Forrestal incident can be found here for anyone interested in the FACTS:

Steve R and Don B like this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 19, 10:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

My Brother in Law was aboard during that time, he said it was like being in Hell!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 19, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quite the video and informative. Sure changed the Navy's way of thinking on damage control. I cant imagine sleeping below decks and having aviation fuel pouring in, let alone being topside with those old bombs.
RIP fellow swabbies.

USN-SSBN 645-G
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 19, 5:00 AM
Tech Team
Mike

that's why she had the nickname " USS FORESTFIRE". i remember watching some films in boot camp about her in the early 80s
boyd66k20 likes this.

15 years in Craft Brewing/ Distilling Industry
Lead Maintenance Mechanic
Submarine Service SSN 575 / SSN 683

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 19, 8:53 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by novass View Post
that's why she had the nickname " USS FORESTFIRE". i remember watching some films in boot camp about her in the early 80s
We learned allot of damage control fighting fires at the New London sub base in the 60's. Think they tried to prepare us for the worse case scenario.
LeoP likes this.

USN-SSBN 645-G
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 19, 8:39 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd66k20 View Post
We learned allot of damage control fighting fires at the New London sub base in the 60's. Think they tried to prepare us for the worse case scenario.
as you would know, a fire on a sub is a submariners worst fear.

15 years in Craft Brewing/ Distilling Industry
Lead Maintenance Mechanic
Submarine Service SSN 575 / SSN 683

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 19, 10:11 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

Garage

I would like to know how many time this surge has happened? I call bull

https://
href="http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/gregs_photo/" target="_blank">http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/gregs_photo/
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 19, 10:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cool View Post
I would like to know how many time this surge has happened? I call bull

How many years of aviation experience do you have that qualifies you to make that call?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in