Don't EVER want to hear any gripes about changing valve cover gaskets - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 19, 6:31 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1
Re: Don't EVER want to hear any gripes about changing valve cover gask

Intentional factory "engineering" so people won't work on their own cars anymore.

Thus - the "service (bend over and pay up) position."
daveschevyparts likes this.

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 19, 7:14 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Ya, I can hear the jokes now about "assuming that position"....YIKES!
davewho1 likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 19, 7:54 PM
Tech Team

dave you are correct.they just make em so the average joe doesn't want to mess with em.not to mention they keep changing fasteners i saw a triangle fastener the other day.i was like what the hell.guess thats how you keep the service dept and snap-on in business
mino65 and davewho1 like this.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 19, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeepeople View Post
dave you are correct.they just make em so the average joe doesn't want to mess with em.not to mention they keep changing fasteners i saw a triangle fastener the other day.i was like what the hell.guess thats how you keep the service dept and snap-on in business
The VW is full of Torx and hex key head bolts. I don't think I ran across more than 4 normal hex head bolts all day on that job. Some screws around the items needing regular maintenance were phillips head but that was about it. I recall that the drain and fill plugs for the transmission were 12 point triple square socket heads, the kind with the pimple in the middle so it is also kind of a security fastener. I mean really, just to change the fluids in the trans? The axle half shafts had some kind of weirdo bolt head too that made me have to buy another set of sockets I've never had to use before.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 7:48 AM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Sounds like its almost worth it to trade the damn cars in when they need something fixed.
davewho1 likes this.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 2:35 PM
Tech Team
John

Garage

I think when they interview these design engineers that design cars like these, they make sure they aren't any sort of a mechanic, that way, the whole "how will a guy work on this" logic doesn't even get a consideration.
davewho1 likes this.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 19, 11:28 PM
Senior Tech Team
KeithD

Don't you know you're supposed to get rid of it and buy a new one well before 224k miles? It's not supposed to last that long!

I drive a 140k mile Nissan, son's Toyota has somewhere north of 250k on it now. Had to change an alternator on the Toyota last week. Took about an hour since I spent too much time finding tools. It was nice. Right there on top in the front

"You laugh because I am different. I laugh because you are all the same."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in