Garage Build Out - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 19, 11:15 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Re: Garage Build Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNova View Post
I'll never be without a floor drain again. Spent 6 years at the previous house without a drain.
Current house's shop has a floor drain but no water. Well is 1/4 mile away, thru the woods and across a creek.
I don't think trenching a water line will work. It's not legal to pull form the creek.
No floor drains allowed in garages in my city.
I had it all piped up for three, one in each bay and the inspector said "take um out".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 19, 12:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill Wente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I had it all piped up for three, one in each bay and the inspector said "take um out".
This separator box was installed 3 years ago as part of the build. It was in the $600-$800 range as I recall. Since the DD garage and shop are attached to the house the box is in the basement mechanical room, tucked under a shelf unit. Otherwise it would have to be below grade. The top cover can be removed for cleanout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture0319190943_1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	589512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture0319190952_1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	589514  

A few '67s and a '66
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 19, 12:08 PM
Tech Team
Tim

Quote:
Yep ! Either that or the EPA or state's environmental dept will/may want to be involved, they all hate garage drains and for good reason !

The garage doors need to be polyurethane type (injected foam), to be energy efficient, and without glass. R3 - 10, compared to R13 - 18+, comparing polystyrene to urethane. Avoid the largest brand name for garage doors also unless you prefer high prices with low quality and the highest repair parts. Also their operators are just Genie with a color and name change. 90% of door dealers do not carry/install that brand and parts aren't everywhere like the Chamberlain/Liftmaster brand (which is ultra reliable, and the only brand we'll install).

2 x 6 walls can use R-19 insulation batts which installs @ R-18 in a 5-1/2" cavity, vs. R-13 or R-11 in 2x4's, or you can use high density R-15 for a 2 x 4 wall - but it's price increase may or may not be justifiable. It is also extremely difficult to install correctly (R15HD) (it has to be cut either perfect or 1/4" over - NO EXCEPTIONS. It has absolutely no give to it).
Always use a minimum of R-38 in a ceiling and without a vapor barrier (which will hold moisture. Walls - definitely yes use a vapor barrier, ceilings - absolutely not). Pure white fiberglass is the highest quality product for ceiling insulation, pink cubes are 2nd but very glassy & dusty, and cellulose is the cheap alternative - but has major drawbacks to its use, then there's also Rockwool which is very dirty and a bitch to work in if need be.
Ceiling batts are the most expensive way to insulate - by far (and more difficult too), and you cannot use kraft faced batts - use unfaced only.
Make sure you have above code min. of attic ventilation too.

Decades of experience in these fields, (and wood or gas fireplaces & ventilation),and construction in general, 35+ yrs and counting.
davewho1 likes this.

T K
post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 19, 12:36 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

I told the inspector "I've been doing plumbing, cleaning garage floor drains and their lines in this city for years, all older house have one in the garage.
He said yes but they are no longer allowed unless you bury a separator outside the garage.

I got a bid of $1,200.00 for one (from the picture above, it looks like maybe I could have gotten a smaller-more simple one a lot cheaper) and I decided to just move the three P-traps about 3/4" under the concrete with coffee cans upside down hiding them and broke out the thin layer of concrete and added the floor drains later.
They aren't really much good though because the floor couldn't be pitched enough without it being obvious to the inspector.

Another thing I wish I had done different.

post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 19, 1:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
I did put in a toilet, laundry sink, a couple of water heaters, a 200 amp electrical service with many 120 volt and a few 240 volt outlets, two natural gas fired unit heaters, and a 4 ton central air-conditioner but I sure wish that I would have thought about some anchors in the floor, especially near the back wall for dragging non running vehicles in.
You can still add the anchors/bolts quite easily. You just need a roto-hammer and some of these (just pick a length that will work for your application):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Red-Head...2017/308278461
augy and shovelrick like this.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 19, 3:01 PM
TKG
Tech Team
Terry

I've used these before, once installed they are flush with the floor so no tripping. I use a big Allen set screw to keep the junk out when not in use.

TKG
64 Malibu Coupe
283, Fitech
2004r, 4w discs
post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 19, 10:29 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

Quote:
required here, if I lived in town, but they cant go in city sewer.

71 Malibu
Asst Novas
post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 8:58 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Anyone have pics of who they kind of pre-ran the untility lines out to their slab? OR kind of the stages of developement if you will?? Love to get some visual ideas to steal from!!!
post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 9:07 AM
Tech Team
Glen

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxracer View Post
Anyone have pics of who they kind of pre-ran the untility lines out to their slab? OR kind of the stages of developement if you will?? Love to get some visual ideas to steal from!!!
Go to garagejournal.com

Everything you need to know about garages and more! Prepare to spend a lot of time over there.
90lxracer likes this.

1968 Chevelle
468 Big Block
Muncie M20 4 Speed
12 Bolt Posi 3.31:1 Gears
post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 12:00 PM
Tech Team
John

Garage

I like my floor drain in my shop. It's in the first bay right inside the overhead door. Between me, the wife, and the kids, I have quiet a few cars to keep clean and maintained. I can pull a car in, out of the sun, and wash it on a hot day. Washing cars with the sun baking on them is a pain, leaves spots, ect...After wash I can squeegee excess water towards the drain. Done. then I can wipe it all down, vacuum the inside, polish wheels...all inside, out of the sun, in the shade of my shop. Fans going, radio or TV on, actually is pretty good, IMO. Also, if you have the means and the space, make a room for your air compressor. I don't have in the shop I have now, but in my last shop, I had a shed next to my shop that I put my compressor in. Made my main shop nice and quiet.
I have toilet and sink. Good and bad about it. I don't heat my shop thru the winter cuz it just destroys my elec bill, so I drain everything and turn off my water to my shop in the winter. I don't spend large amounts of time in my shop like I did back when I was younger, so heating it during the winter isn't justified. The toilet is nice, but I could live without it, as I'm close to my house. The water for washing hands, and cars, is what I like the most.
Mine has a nice attic with a fold up stair set. Not tall enough peaks to walk around up there, but can be on ur hands and knees. I keep some stuff up there but not a lot. Be nice to have it high enough to walk up there with some shelving for storage.
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 2:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend123 View Post
Go to garagejournal.com

Everything you need to know about garages and more! Prepare to spend a lot of time over there.
Surprised no one had suggested garagejournal forum yet. Tons of great info. Some incredible builds have been posted in the projects section.
post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 8:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ron

An interesting issue on Electrical... the NEC does not apply equally all over the US:

https://www.nema.org/Technical/Field...option-Map.pdf

My car is here:

post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 12:20 AM
Senior Tech Team
KeithD

Friend of mine put a urinal in the restroom in his garage build. That's most of the going anyways.

I just bought a house with 4 baths. I don't need any more toilets to clean on chore day

"You laugh because I am different. I laugh because you are all the same."

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 2:01 AM
Tech Team
rick

if your original plan is 30x30 garage on 40x40 slab, make sure the 30x30 section is raised a few inches compared to the rest of the slab. otherwise, when it rains, you'll have a moisture problem on a one piece slab where the slab is bigger than the structure.

I think a lot of the posts have hit the major points. I built my own 26 x26 shop additions a few years back. I used a ridge beam construction for the roof to allow for a 15 foot center height with a 4/12 roof and approx. 10 foot walls. the rest of my shop is 10 ft max ceiling height which made trying to use my 4 post lift interesting. I have doors on both ends and an eyelet in the floor for a winch as mentioned previously. best fore thought I've ever had in my life!

few things that can be incorporated into the build that might be helpful.

- frame in some powerful exhaust fans on the leeward side gable. I have 2, will clear my shop of fumes in minutes.
-consider doing a bigger front slab so you have more than 10 ft to work with. I have mine covered with a canopy so I can leave my bench grinder and vice mounted out there. and I can still do dirty work when it rains.
-consider putting an overbuilt header on one of the doors, I incorporated a custom welded frame hooked over the header before the wall was finished and over sized the door height so I can use it as a gantry crane. of course, I didn't use conventional garage doors so the header is easily available.
- add a $300 compact washer so wife doesn't yell about putting oily clothes in the home washer
- put 110 outlets everywhere and 2 220 at either end.
- if you go vaulted ceiling, consider ridge venting in the roof so when you insulate your roof, the hot air will easily escape the enclosed air space.
davewho1 likes this.

67 Chevelle (current project)
72 D100 stepside (current side project)
73 D100 styleside (current side, side project)
65 el camino (sold)
95 GSXR750 (OEM restoration)
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 19, 8:29 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
I told the inspector "I've been doing plumbing, cleaning garage floor drains and their lines in this city for years, all older house have one in the garage.
He said yes but they are no longer allowed unless you bury a separator outside the garage.

I got a bid of $1,200.00 for one (from the picture above, it looks like maybe I could have gotten a smaller-more simple one a lot cheaper) and I decided to just move the three P-traps about 3/4" under the concrete with coffee cans upside down hiding them and broke out the thin layer of concrete and added the floor drains later.
They aren't really much good though because the floor couldn't be pitched enough without it being obvious to the inspector.

Another thing I wish I had done different.
But at least you got them. Screw the inspector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in