kidney stone survivors ? - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 19, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

kidney stone survivors ?

had my 3rd one and worst one 2 days ago.

It started out as a cramp and within 30 minutes I was bent over vomiting . I called 911 and by the time I arrived at the hospital I was pretty much wasted. I offered the driver $100.00 to knock me out.

When I arrived they thought I had a twisted upper intestine but the x ray and cat scan showed the problem, a 2mm stone lodged above my bladder. They shot me up with morphine that did nothing, they they gave me a double does of something that finally knocked me out.

I woke an hour later. By then it had passed and I was on my way home.

On the way out the doctor had one last piece of bad news, during the cat scan they found another 2MM stone in my other kidney ready to drop.......errrrrrrr

15 years in Craft Brewing/ Distilling Industry
Lead Maintenance Mechanic
Submarine Service SSN 575 / SSN 683
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 19, 11:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
& Administrator

Re: kidney stone survivors ?

I've had 2.
One in 79 and one last October.
I feel for you.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 19, 12:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

Can't the Doc use ultrasonic to shatter the stones to smithereens and facilitate passing with less pain? Geez- I've heard about these stones and from what I've heard childbirth is a comparable discomfort. Either way hope you feel better soon!
BTK likes this.

1970-LS5, #28- Fathom Blue,TH400, original motor car.
1970- NOM, 496, M21, #48 Forest Green.
1972- Malibu, 350. TH350- original motor car, #43 Gulf Green.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 19, 12:18 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

It seems like everyone I've known that had one, they have had them more that once.
Thank God I've never had one.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/11-...ney-stone.html
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 19, 12:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

I could write a book on kidney stones, having been plagued with them for most of my adult life. My heart goes out to you, Mike. Hang in there, brother, and drink lots of water.

RonO: Lithotripsy can only be performed when the stone (or stones) are residing in a kidney. What Mike describes is almost without a doubt a stone moving through the ureter, the tube that runs from kidney to bladder. The pain from this can be unbearable. Lithotripsy does work, however, as about 20 years ago I had a stone in my kidney as large as a walnut, according to the urologist. He performed the lithotripsy procedure, which is placing a person into a tub of fluid, sedating them and bombasting the affected kidney with ultrasonic waves. The victim is then left to pee out the tiny particles that are left over.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 19, 12:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

BTDT. Got the T-shirt. First one had me in the hospital for three days all jacked up on morphine around 2003. I still get them, but not as bad. Drink lots of water to keep your kidneys flushed out. It sucks having to get up during the night to take a leak, but it beats the stones.
Saltherring likes this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 19, 2:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltherring View Post
I could write a book on kidney stones, having been plagued with them for most of my adult life. My heart goes out to you, Mike. Hang in there, brother, and drink lots of water.

RonO: Lithotripsy can only be performed when the stone (or stones) are residing in a kidney. What Mike describes is almost without a doubt a stone moving through the ureter, the tube that runs from kidney to bladder. The pain from this can be unbearable. Lithotripsy does work, however, as about 20 years ago I had a stone in my kidney as large as a walnut, according to the urologist. He performed the lithotripsy procedure, which is placing a person into a tub of fluid, sedating them and bombasting the affected kidney with ultrasonic waves. The victim is then left to pee out the tiny particles that are left over.
My wife went through one of those years ago. The doctor said to her if you didnt have the sedation, it would feel like someone was beating you with a bat! She was bruised and very weak after that. I felt so bad for her. Shes a tough girl. She usually gets some here and there and passes them.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 19, 2:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70SSTHUMPER View Post
Can't the Doc use ultrasonic to shatter the stones to smithereens and facilitate passing with less pain? Geez- I've heard about these stones and from what I've heard childbirth is a comparable discomfort. Either way hope you feel better soon!
Ya, they stick a combo flashlight, camera, and ultrasound emitter way up your ureatha. The first time they did it I was out. Not so the second time.

That sucked...
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 19, 2:14 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Passed a stone last spring while out riding my motorcycle, my friends and I still laugh about it, well I laugh now. I sure wasn’t when I was laying in a gas station parking lot in intense pain (we had just stopped for gas) waiting for the ambulance to take me to the hospital. I wouldn’t wish that amount of pain on my ex-wife!

The problem with designing something completely foolproof, is you underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 19, 3:03 PM
TKG
Tech Team
Terry

X4... Doc said they were the size of Virginia peanuts to big to pass. Three were blasted with lithotripsy, one with a laser.
You don't even want to know how they get the laser to the stone so they can blast.
Lots of water and lots of trips to the bathroom at night
NickeyChevelle likes this.

TKG
64 Malibu Coupe
283, Fitech
2004r, 4w discs
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 19, 3:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

A guy at work about 15-20 years ago got them a lot. He'd come back from the rest room & say caught it, here it is.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 19, 3:34 PM
Tech Team
Rick

Think of it as trying to piss out a sea urchin down through the ureter and out. I've had two bouts with these and they thought my last one was appendicitis but the MRI told the real story.

It is excruciating pain but the morphine takes care of it. They gave me Phenergan for the nausea. Thank goodness that I have two forms of excellent insurance because it would have otherwise been an over $6000 trip to the hospital that day. I was still on active duty for the first attack - no idea what that cost.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 19, 4:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

They always remind me of the jagged asteroid from the movie Armageddon. They feel like it too.
Saltherring likes this.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 19, 6:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

The first time I had stones, about 35 years ago, I laid in the hospital for almost a week loaded up on morphine, before they decided the stone wasn't going to pass so they would go up and retrieve it. There was no lithotripsy back then. As I recall they put me out to do it, but when I woke up from that, I had to take a leak and it hurt like hell and there was more blood than urine.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 19, 10:05 PM
Tech Team
Brad g.

This little bastard almost killed me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in