Team Chevelle banner

How does s miter saw work? (Pictures)

1K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  SFD 
#1 ·
My miter saw only goes to 45 degrees. How do I make these 67 degree cuts for the baseboard?

See less See more
#4 ·
Set saw at 33 1/2. I think. Might have to run out to the shop.>:) A square corner 90* saw sets at 45*
You are a long way from 90*. Think 180 degrees, subtract 133*, you got 67, 1/2 of 67 is 33 1/2
You are thinking too hard.
If corner was 45* the cuts would be 22 1/2*

#6 ·
I cant tell from the pic and probably am not the best teacher. What I would do is take some scrap wood and lay it seperatley against the wall and mark the angle as it crosses. Go the miter saw and match angle to pencil line. Then do the same on the other wall and fit the 2 pieces of scrap and adjust if needed. Sometimes angles in carpentry are not clear as day and take a bit of trial and error. That is how I would do it IF 22.5 or 33.5 didn't seem to work. Scrap wood and scribe lines will save good wood. Good luck, hope it makes sense as described.

#7 ·
I never looked at the second pic with close up numbers - 180* minus yer 133 is 47 so half dat, 23.5*, wall does look 45 ish. Start there, it’s wood, cut two 12” test fit pieces, left and right of the same degree miter and test fit..don’t forget a true craftsman copes the inside corners..

#8 ·
someone mentioned coping the inside corners, which way does the teeth cut on a coping saw, push or pull?. One of the 3 parts of a test I give new carpenter prospects.:D

Shat, 180 minus 133 ain't 67 it is 47. half of 47 is 23 1/2 is the cut. I have a photographic memory but the flash is burned out.

Shucks, just cut some scraps to you get it right.

#9 ·
someone mentioned coping the inside corners, which way does the teeth cut on a coping saw, push or pull?. One of the 3 parts of a test I give new carpenter prospects.:D
Since I'm self taught but good enough to get high end work I'll give the coping saw question an answer. I know I have tried both ways, but I find pulling to work better. It does seem to rip the finished wood a bit, so pushing is probably the correct answer as I think about the process. When in doubt, hope for paint and wood in a tube vs perfection and stain.....:D:D

#12 ·
Taking up an extension cord and building a set of saw horses is the other 2 parts of the test. Had one fellow that took a half day to build a set and another one put a set together in a room with a 32 inch door, he had to take them apart to get them out of the room.:D
Remember a carpenter marks once, half assed carpenter marks twice and and a d@^^ fool just keeps on marking.>:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.