What spare parts & tools do you have in the trunk? - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 19, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Garage
What spare parts & tools do you have in the trunk?

What spare parts & tools do you keep in the trunk of your classic car? Fan belts? Radiator hoses? Fuses? Extra oil, trans fluid? Tools? Do you have a spare tire and jack?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 19, 10:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
steve

Re: What spare parts & tools do you have in the trunk?

none . I'm 54 and fortunately have never broken down in any of my classic rides . I put jumper cables in my daily (and help those who need it). Got a flat once and had no spare so AAA towed me home. But I don't venture too far from home usually (less than 50 miles or so) and now have a LS1-4L60e combo that I drive a lot (super dependable). What I always carry in the ashtray is money however (usually less than $30 for gas or whatever/food etc.)
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 12:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

It completely depends on the trip for me. Taking the Camino to work? 50 mile round trip. Nothing. Long trip? 500 miles+? Usually some water, oil, full set of wrenches, spare belt, some wiring bits and any specialty tools I may need for that car.

Devin
MidLife72 likes this.

Just an El Camino
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Son's build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My never-ending project:
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 1:12 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksky View Post
What spare parts & tools do you keep in the trunk of your classic car? Fan belts? Radiator hoses? Fuses? Extra oil, trans fluid? Tools? Do you have a spare tire and jack?
All the above except trans fluid and radiator hoses. My hoses are new.

Add fire extinguisher x 2. Electrical tape, cheap ohm meter, Some drinking water, towels, a jacket and cleaning supplies for touch ups. Extra fan/alt belt. All secured, so they won't fly about in the trunk.
roadster601 likes this.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 4:11 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

I keep an assortment of hand tools, a small hydraulic jack (the bumper jacks suck), jumper cables, 1 qt of oil. Long trips I carry an old set of points and condenser or HEI module.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 9:26 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Bet we all carry an assortment of what we might need. Oil, belts, jack, sockets and screwdrivers.
I have a jack that fits into the hole on the chevy frame. It is a horizontal jack and wont mess up a bumper. Cant remember what it came out of, 80/90's GM.
No need to buy an original bumper jack with this little gem. Can find on craigs list or the junk yard pic a part. I was psyched when I found this.
Another thing is to consider the lug nuts on your aftermarket wheels and how you are going to get them off when you have a flat. If your spare (LIKE MINE) is still a GM spare with original lugnuts, you may need a special socket to remove one or the other. Just saying, and a spare set of lug nuts as well, cause the aftermarket ones will not work on the oem wheels.
Then there is the blaster 2 coil that can give it up at times.
Here's a link to the jack on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Capri...BvKa:rk:1:pf:0
roadster601 likes this.

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 10:01 AM
Tech Team
Don

I put my electricians tool pouch and jumper cables in the trunk of each car I drive. Every one of my cars has a fire extinguisher, a four way lug nut wrench and small box with hose clamps, a set of points, a rotor, a piece of gas line, rags, ect. Not only for my car, but to help any other cruise night/ car show owner. Mostly, the hose clamps save the day.
roadster601 likes this.

Don S
69 SS396
68 Impala SS427 x4
68 Impala L-72
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 10:23 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksky View Post
None. The holes in the floor right now won't keep much in..
427L88 likes this.

Ray

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 11:45 AM
Gold Member
Gene

I lost tools out of a 66 Biscayne one day when I was at speed and downshifted the 396. Had to pull over , walk back, and collect some tools. My buds called it the Batmobile, as it spread it "wings" at speed. ( rear quarters started getting lift! )

Basic tools incl feeler gauges and plug socket, on head spring compressor with extra springs/retainers/locks, VOM, coil and spare HEI module, to name a few.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 11:49 AM
Gold Member
Gene

I lost tools out of a 66 Biscayne one day when I was at speed and downshifted the 396. Had to pull over , walk back, and collect some tools.

Basic tools incl feeler gauges and plug socket, on head spring compressor with extra springs/retainers/locks, VOM, coil and spare HEI module, to name a few.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 11:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Fire extinguisher,spare Crane XRi module (like an HEI module but for a points distributor) a distributor gear,fuel pump,a few clamps and some 3/8 rubber fuel line.
427L88 and roadster601 like this.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 12:20 PM
Gold Member
Gene

I forgot fuel line, + one rigged specifically so I can run the tripower on center carb only. ( they call it "valet mode" in fancy sports cars!)
mr 4 speed and roadster601 like this.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 12:56 PM
Tech Team
lou

Send a message via AIM to roadster601

for me i used to say why do i need to take that no more, i had some issues at a show on a sunday didnt have anying to get me home that was 25 yrs ago. this is what i take with me anywhere.

i take all cleaning products in a seperate bag, fire extingusher most shows require it its a good saftey item just dont forget to take it out when you get home it could set itself off what a mess, i have a battery car jack kit 12 volts picks up 4 ton rubber pads best investment i have made i take water/ antifreeze, take fuel line and some hose clamps, spare belt alt to waterpump,the stores sell a hose repair kit heater hose radiator hose repair kits cut hose slide this plastic piece in clamp go home, also silicone a thermostat gasket, a 6 lb radiator cap, teflon tape , 1 qt oil, jumper cables, tool bag wire striper, spark plug tool, screw drivers,breaker bar with sockets for tires, pliers, vice grips test light, fuses,a spark plug wire, plug, a spare dist cap, rotor, 14 gauge wire with aligator ends, wire connector ends eletrical tape roll,paper towels, bulbs 1 each for different applications, most tools i take are standard hand tools nothing crazy stand back look what tools do you need 1/2 thru maybe 7/8, most are combo so not to many to carry maybe a fuel line wrench, if your going to a judged show or road trip this is what i take dont forget a chair because it will be along day all this fits in a small bag 2 foot long good luck enjoy your ride and remember HAPPY MOTORING

lou
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 1:33 PM
Team Member
Tom

Fire extinguisher
Spare tire
ORIGINAL jack + 4-way lug wrench
A few towels
Umbrella
1qt oil
The rest of the trunk is reserved for the ice chest and adult beverages.
mr 4 speed likes this.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 2:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

A few years ago, I started packing the "road trip supplies" in some of those Rubber-Made tubs... It helps keep things organized, and easy to remove if need be... I pack the usually wrenches, sockets and a breaker bar ( I haven't used a stock or cross "lug wrench" in years), screw drivers, some wire (red and black, 12 or 24 gauge for temp repairs), electrical and teflon tape, multimeter, temp wiring leads (with alligator clips). Parts: I used to carry a spare distributor (HEI, as it was easy to swap), spark plugs (most of my trips were to a higher altitude, and sometimes plugs would foul), radiator hoses, belts. I also carry water, oil and trans fluid. No anti-freeze, etc, as I just need stuff for temporary repairs (I don't run anti-freeze anyway). I also include a jack (smaller aluminum floor jack), but usually limit myself to a single jackstand for safety (I used to carry two)... I used to carry a few spare rocker arms, valve cover gasket, and extra plugwire and a spare tire...

Just strictly the stuff I would need to limp it home or to the next big town...

I also have cleaning stuff, polish, towels/rags, some spray cleaners... hand cleaner... Not a "show car", but I do try an make it look nice at my destination...

I also carry a pack of baby wipes, usually an ice chest (my friends were pretty thankfully when I added that), sunscreen, an extra hat (I have a history of losing hats).

Of course, I have a few fire extinguishers and a set of jumper cables...

Another thing I have been adding for years, is a large piece of cardboard (3 foot by 3 foot?). Its nice to "protect" your clothes (and therefore your interior) IF you need to crawl under the car for some repair...

I also have a couple of King size pillows. Old and used, no pillow cases. I found these give some more protection to the quarter panels in the trunk, plus its nicer when working under the car...

A few years ago, by buddy was driving his 1971 Dodge Demon (original 340/4-speed car), and as he passed us on the freeway, his passenger front tire blew out... He maintained control, but minor paint damage to the fender lip... Scared the crap out of us, because we were right next to it (thankfully, I was the passenger in the other car, my driver almost had to change his shorts)...

Anyway, his tires were BFG T/A radials that he put on in the mid 1980's... He only had the stock bumper jack and the original spare (from 1971)... It seemed scary, but he drove that spare at probably 75 MPH for an hour... Bought a new tire later that day. He avoided buying 4 new tires, because he was getting ready to upgrade wheels and tires anyway...
roadster601 likes this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in