What spare parts & tools do you have in the trunk? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 2:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage
Re: What spare parts & tools do you have in the trunk?

In my 67 I have a full socket set with some wrenches. In the center console I have various amperage glass fuses. 2 screw drivers. I also have a small spool of 16-18 awg wire.

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 2:52 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

In the good weather months i will drive my Camaro or the Monte about 200 miles round trip up to my place upstate. Like most here, both cars are maintained well, but ***** can happen.
Each car has a spare that fits and holds air, as well as a jack. I like to carry a roll of duct tape, and a pair of gloves in all my vehicles. I keep at least a quart of engine and trans oil in both, there is a fire ext. in each car. I have some more stuff like antifreeze in the Monte, since you can fit a few dead hookers in the trunk. Trunk space in the Camaro is at a premium.
Depending on whatever car i am taking that weekend, i will put my mediocre tool set, my cordless impact, and my Noco Genius jump starter. Having some tools, and the jumpstarter thing always come in handy since i have all the toys upstate, golf cart, 4 wheelers, etc.
There is always an led flashlight in all of my vehicles.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 3:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

It varies greatly, I always keep a spare new and a spare used serpentine belt, and a hose, and a 5/8" wrench behind the seat. I had a pulley alignment issue that is MUCH better now, but still not perfect. I had to trim the width of the belt by 1 groove... Never had a problem, but so easy to swap out and fix with just a wrench on the tensioner. Plus my upper hose is routed like a drunken sailor meandering around the alternator and is 2 hoses joined by pipe.
Other than that embarrassment, the only time I carry tools and spares is when I go to Detroit for the Woodward Dream Cruise and put about 1,000 miles on that weekend. Still only hand tools, a normal wheel/tire instead of the behind the seat ancient spare, coolers, chairs, rolls of paper towels and duct tape. I figure what ever is actually needed won't be what I brought, so just drive it, if something isn't reliable fix it first.
But with an El Camino, it is easy to just keep tossing stuff in the bed under the cover, and next thing you know you need to pump up the air shocks to keep the headlights on the road.
When me and my dad drove it from Las Vegas to Pittsburgh, I brought everything he had for it, and the bed was full, plus our 2 small bags for clothes. Only issue we had over the whole 2289 mile trip was 1 quart of oil, 1 low tire at a morning check, and an exhaust hanger cracked last day.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 3:43 PM
Team Member
Tom

Oh ya, I forgot, for out of town trips, I take along a "spare" trunk---------------------with the kitchen sink.

And the spare trunk has a spare tire.

marc1 and shovelrick like this.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 3:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd66k20 View Post
I have a jack that fits into the hole on the chevy frame. It is a horizontal jack and wont mess up a bumper. Cant remember what it came out of, 80/90's GM.
Here's a link to the jack on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Capri...BvKa:rk:1:pf:0

I also bought one of those jacks on Ebay. Mine cost a LOT more than the one in the link, but mine looks like brand new. Haven't had to use it yet, hope I never do.

67 Chevelle Malibu, ZZ4 350 crate engine, TH350, FiTech EFI, Vintage Air, Dakota HDX dash, FlowMaster exhaust,
17" Rally style wheels, Redline tires
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 5:57 PM
Tech Team
Marc

Garage

I have:

1) Spare Pertronix module.
2) Spare Pertronix coil.
3) One new unopened quart of current engine oil flavor, car doesn't use oil between changes, but for some reason I can't kill this habit.
4) Spare alternator belt.
5) Full spare with BFG Radial TA and factory jack... not sure I would use the jack unless absolutely necessary.
6) Basic tool kit (3/8" drive sockets, ratchet, extension, pliers, vise grips etc.).
7) Glass fuse pack.

This has been a really good car so far in the many years I have owned it, only one road side wrench incident (coil crapped out... not sure why that happened, hence my spare now).

I'll be honest, in nearly 40 years of driving GM muscle cars (they were my daily drivers in the beginning like everyone else before they became collectables) these cars have served me well. I had a set of points go bad in Utah once on a road trip in my Buick GS400, I didn't have to stop, it just started missing like crazy and I replaced them at the next town. After that trip I started packing my dwell meter. I damaged an engine once driving my car like a you know what, not really the car's fault. I got home but the motor needed a complete rebuild, most of the rod big ends were oval... but they stayed attached at least. My wife's 72 Monte Carlo (pseudo muscle car) had the timing chain fail on her at work at well over 100,000 on the clock, not really unreasonable. These were generally reliable cars in stock form.

1970 Chevelle SS454 19/19 LS6 M22 ZL2 3.31
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 7:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Garage

Since I'm the one who started this thread here's my list.
Spare tire, jack, lug wrench, jumper cables, basic socket & tool kit, screwdrivers, test light, fuses, shop rags, plastic tarp, 2 orange cones, quart of trans fluid & funnel, 2 camp chairs, detail spray, microfiber cloths, window cleaner, paper towels, fire extinguisher, blanket.

I think I'll add a spare alternator belt and power steering belt, even though the engine belts are new.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 7:26 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Garage

Just a Channellock so I can get the damn Muncie shifter out of 2nd gear!
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 19, 8:32 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZAUTO View Post

And the spare trunk has a spare tire...

Great idea. One while driving my father-in-laws Envoy towing his Formula Vee SCCA race car back after a crash (he was too sore to drive) and my first time ever driving with a trailer, one of the tires blew out on the Ohio Turnpike, in a construction zone with barriers on the sides, kept going till I could pull over, and we found out, the trailer spare wasn't packed for that trip. Ended up being a looonnnggg day.
(the tire took out the trailer fender, but luckily, nobody or nothing else was hurt/damaged)

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 19, 8:48 AM
Senior Tech Team

I have a spare Chevelle in my trunk.

I am getting better, though. I just did a purging and removed about 20 lbs of tools that I use to haul everywhere. I now just haul bare essentials for tools. I still have pretty much a spare of most things that could come in handy. It's been carried over from when I had a '72 Cutlass convertible that I road tripped across the country for more than a decade and I everything I owned fit into that trunk. I'm trying to cut things down, but there's still a lot of stuff in there like extra fluids, hoses, belts, HEI parts, light switches, spare with the jack and jackstand, headlight, coolant, water, hiking backpack, folding spade, emergency triangles, first aid kit -- still a lot of stuff.

The greatest thing I recently bought and carry in the trunk is a portable jump starter. I've had it for about two years, recharged it only once, and used it recently for the first time on a battery that suddenly died. The charger is only about the size of a paper back book and cost about $60. It saved me several hours of having to wait for a tow truck then get another car to buy a battery to bring back to the Chevelle. I just jumped the car once to get where I was going, then jumped it again to get to the auto parts store for the battery. Best money I've spent in a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in