Favorite decade? - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 19, 6:51 PM
p40
Tech Team
butch

Garage
Re: Favorite decade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_69_malibu View Post
Haven't read a truer post in quite a while!!!

I was born in '71, which makes my car older than I am. Got my license in '87.....so I'd have to say most of the 1980s to 1994, when I graduated from Ohio University. Then work and life got serious. Perhaps too serious at times.

I hadn't really lost a family member until my grandfather passed in 1987. When we look back at what time period we most enjoyed, it's often the period most surrounded by family and friends.....with little responsibility. The World was small....but in a good way.

As to what time period I enjoyed least, I would have to say any time period after: NAFTA, the "global economy", extreme partisan politics, political correctness, a massive U.S. Debt Load, most Millenials, people being glued to their cell phones, things being made out of Chinesium, call centers being offshored, college costing 30K per year (or more), Auto Zones replacing NAPA stores, new pick up trucks costing 50K or more, and some idiot billionaire destroying Sears, Craftsman, and Kenmore.
they made fun of ross pero when he was talking abought nafta and he said all u will hear is a giant sucking sound of our jobs going south , well who got the last laugh :
blue_69_malibu and shovelrick like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 19, 6:55 PM
p40
Tech Team
butch

Garage

Quote:
There were SO many quality factory jobs in Cleveland during this time that you could leave for lunch, get a new job at a different factory, and start that same afternoon. This would not last for long, unfortunately.

30K bought a nice house and 5K bought a nice car. Public schools were still good and private schools were affordable. It was VERY easy to live a comfortable, middle class lifestyle in any manufacturing town in the Midwest during this time.

If so much "Progress" has taken place since then, why is this lifestyle much more difficult for many to obtain these days?
GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDD
LeoP likes this.
post #33 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 19, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy

Personally, I think we are living in a debt nightmare ...most everyone in America owes tons of money, and the government owes tons of money to the criminal Rothschilds money printers that own most of the world. We have been suckered by the banksters! How many Trillions do we owe to the Rothschilds? Does anyone even know what a Trillion is...its an amount that is unfathomable. I seriously think we are living in some sort of bizarre simulation..cause it seems to unreal to be real!

1968 Lemans 350 H/O
1969 Chevelle
1970 GTO
post #34 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 19, 11:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300-D View Post
Personally, I think we are living in a debt nightmare ...most everyone in America owes tons of money, and the government owes tons of money to the criminal Rothschilds money printers that own most of the world. We have been suckered by the banksters! How many Trillions do we owe to the Rothschilds? Does anyone even know what a Trillion is...its an amount that is unfathomable. I seriously think we are living in some sort of bizarre simulation..cause it seems to unreal to be real!
There is a merger (of sorts) between the Rockefeller empire and Lord Rothschild’s investment trust, RIT Capital Partners. They are buying a 37 per cent stake in Rockefeller Financial Services.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...-fortunes.html
post #35 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 11:45 AM
Senior Tech Team

I would go back to the 60s for the music. I would attend as many concerts as possible and hopefully not fry my brain from partying too hard.
300-D and shovelrick like this.

Mike Smith
72 Chevelle, LS 6.0 LQ9 4l80e
post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 1:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

My best friend offered a free ticket to see Led Zep in Tampa and I passed, had something else to do I guess and didn't realize that would never be possible again, I'd like to relive/redo that dumb choice in the 80's, bought a '71 Cuda 383 & pistol grip 4 spd ICR $ but cheap around the same time

post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 1:40 PM
Senior Tech Team

I was born in 1972, so for me, the late-80s / early-90's (to about 1995) were my "best times".

Muscle cars were still affordable, and the "cruising" car culture was very much still happening. On any given summer night, you could visit a local hang-out and find like-minded people with Chevelles, Novas, Camaros, etc. The cars were still driven back then, and not just for car shows and organized cruise-ins,

Rock music still ruled the radio, with a a lot of great thrash metal, "hair bands", "alternative", etc. being released almost every week. Live music scene was good too, with lots of rock bands in the bars, and affordable concert tickets when the big tours came through.

~$1 / gallon gas, etc, etc, etc.

Seems like that all started to change in the later half of the 1990s.
post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 3:14 PM
Tech Team
Chris

I was born in 78' so for me the "good ol' days" were the mid 90's to early 2000's. Muscle era cars were still relatively affordable, bought my first car, a 1971 Cutlass 'S' for $3500 with a fresh paint job and nice interior. It was slow, but I fixed that. Cruising was still happening every weekend and people still daily drove old cars. I was dirt track racing modifieds and sprint cars with my dad as well as drag racing with my friends. Disposable income and limited responsibilities. Good times. As others have mentioned, for most it will be the time when you were in your early 20's that you will look back on and smile.

1969 Beaumont
1977 Bronco
The rest are boring responsible adult vehicles not worth mentioning.
post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 6:00 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude View Post
I was born in 1972, so for me, the late-80s / early-90's (to about 1995) were my "best times".

Muscle cars were still affordable, and the "cruising" car culture was very much still happening. On any given summer night, you could visit a local hang-out and find like-minded people with Chevelles, Novas, Camaros, etc. The cars were still driven back then, and not just for car shows and organized cruise-ins,

Rock music still ruled the radio, with a a lot of great thrash metal, "hair bands", "alternative", etc. being released almost every week. Live music scene was good too, with lots of rock bands in the bars, and affordable concert tickets when the big tours came through.

~$1 / gallon gas, etc, etc, etc.

Seems like that all started to change in the later half of the 1990s.
Wish I could give this post ten likes. SO TRUE!!!

Reading your post, I could almost hear the music coming out of the Pioneer 6x9s from the back of my first Chevelle. Hot summer night, sticky vinyl seats, slightly too long hair blowing in the wind with the windows open....wondering how far I'd get with my date that night. Also wondering how bad the Cleveland Indians lost that night and if they'd ever be good again. (1995 was a long way away.)

Somebody around smoking Marlboro Lights or cheap Camels, cold Miller Genuine Draft (if I could afford it) and a 350-370 HP 350 running through glass packs that I didn't yet realize....sucked. But it was more fun than my father's Accord or my girlfriends Chevette.

What I miss about those days is the feeling that I could do whatever I wanted, personally and professionally....with no sense of time. I made $6-$8 an hour and was content. The Universe had order and balance to it.
novadude, 300-D and shovelrick like this.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 6:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Life has been one great adventure since 1947. Few dull moments.

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.315 60'
post #41 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 6:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage

Gotta be the 60s. My first Friday night cruise was in 65 with my Aunt who was four years older than I. I sat in the the back seat between two of her girlfriends. At age 13 I thought I died and gone to heaven. Found out years later that the only reason she brought me was to start her Rambler with a pair of pliers across the starter relay LOL.
But I had fun later on before Uncle Sam came calling. Missed most of the 70s with 5 years at sea.
blue_69_malibu likes this.

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX
post #42 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 8:47 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Wish I could give this post ten likes. SO TRUE!!!
Another memory for you (as I was growing up not to far away in Pittsburgh)….

Late May / Early June in the late-80s / early-90s... Hot Rod Super Nationals in Canfield, OH! Also the cruising at the A&W in Boardman, OH afterwards. Being as you were as close (or closer) to Canfield, I figure you were probably there too.
blue_69_malibu likes this.
post #43 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 9:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Music was pretty darned good early on.

300-D and boyd66k20 like this.

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.315 60'
post #44 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 19, 6:45 AM
Senior Tech Team
Brian

We had a lot of fun in the 80s, but the cars sucked.
lucifershammer likes this.
post #45 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 19, 6:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ69chevelle View Post
The past sucked. The future, now that's where it's all gonna happen!
Life is good for a Starship Captain

Mike

My 69 Chevelle Convertible

AACA Senior Grand National Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist
Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts 2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award
NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest 6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class
MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award" 2015 OPGI Original Restored Award
MCACN Gold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in