Shipping charge for small parts - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 19, 6:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Garage
Re: Shipping charge for small parts

Thanks Rick at NPD,
I'm the original poster and I appreciate your explanation of shipping charges. While I understand why a $2.00 part costs more than three times that to ship it, it's still frustrating. Again I appeciate the time you spent to respond.
Don B likes this.

67 Chevelle Malibu, ZZ4 350 crate engine, TH350, FiTech EFI, Vintage Air, Dakota HDX dash, FlowMaster exhaust,
17" Rally style wheels, Redline tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 19, 11:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Wow, Rick. Said differently you get 95% gross margins on a part that weighs well under one pound, which you ship for the USPS rate of one pound at 6 bucks. I'll pay that. You charge $9 minimum shipping. Nearly $4 of gross profit ($.95 plus the $3 shipping delta.) And some how the guys that charge $4.95 for the same part you list for $1.95 plus 9 bucks to ship are mis-treating customers. I get the point you are going for with labor and overhead but it got lost in your rant.

Currently, I'm looking for window sweeps for my '64 and your prices do seem better.

Zeke

67 Chevelle
64 Chevelle
90 Corvette ZR1
TC# 3094 ACES# 7297
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 19, 2:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke67 View Post
Wow, Rick. Said differently you get 95% gross margins on a part that weighs well under one pound, which you ship for the USPS rate of one pound at 6 bucks. I'll pay that. You charge $9 minimum shipping. Nearly $4 of gross profit ($.95 plus the $3 shipping delta.) And some how the guys that charge $4.95 for the same part you list for $1.95 plus 9 bucks to ship are mis-treating customers. I get the point you are going for with labor and overhead but it got lost in your rant.

Currently, I'm looking for window sweeps for my '64 and your prices do seem better.
Yeah, It gets frustrating sometimes with shipping charges, and prices for the same/similar items all over the board...

But honestly, I have had the best experiences with NPD, and often their prices are near the lower-end compared to many other retail outlets...

And Thanks Rick, good explanation that isn't often considered...
von, [email protected] and Don B like this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 19, 8:08 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksky View Post
Thanks Rick at NPD,
I'm the original poster and I appreciate your explanation of shipping charges. While I understand why a $2.00 part costs more than three times that to ship it, it's still frustrating. Again I appeciate the time you spent to respond.
No worries!! Trust me, I wasn't trying to give you a hard time whatsoever, I was just taking the opportunity to illustrate all the dynamics involved, since there's so much gamesmanship and trickery and slight-of-hand going on with mail-order and web-based businesses these days.

Bottom-line, when your order totals less than $10 bucks, you're either going to pay just as much (or more) to get it to you, or, the company you're buying from is willing to just suck it up and take a bit of a loss to handle it.

Ordering low-value items online is a bit like taking a special trip to the convenience store just to buy a fountain soda. You're going to spend more in fuel then you spend on the drink. Especially if you run the errand in your Chevelle..
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 19, 8:21 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke67 View Post

You lost me right at "95% gross margins", which is the equivalent of buying a part for 50-cents, and selling it for $10. So call me confused.

I assure you, we make no money processing/shipping low-value (under $10) orders. I remember decades ago my father pondering the prospect of setting a "minimum order" policy, and I advised him against it. Better to serve your customer when they have a need, no matter how small, in the spirit of generating loyalty.

My point in bringing up the companies that inflate their prices on low-value goods (the $4.95 vs. $1.95 reference) to help cover labor and shipping, was to diplomatically warn everyone of how that practice can really swing around and bite you if you're assembling a large order full of smallish items, and not price-comparing, as people often tend not to price-shop the small stuff.

"Rant"?? Gosh, I hope I didn't come off that way! It certainly wasn't my intention!

Rick
NPD
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 19, 10:32 AM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

I thought it was a well written, well detailed, honest explanation of how your shipping costs are structured. Certainly not a rant. I for one appreciate your coming onto this site and answering questions about the business side of your industry. No other Chevelle parts vendors seem to want to do that.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 19, 2:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

I made my first NPD purchase a few weeks ago. I needed enough parts to hit the free-shipping threshold. And I still need enough parts so that it will be a very long time before I need something small enough to pay for extra shipping. Whatever the case, their prices are much better than that of other vendors and I liked being able to call them with a question on one of their parts before ordering. The guy who answered knew exactly what I was talking about and was able to save me from buying a few unneeded extras. I just wish I wasnít in CA so I could escape the sales tax. But even with that their prices were better than the competitors.

Thread drift, for sure, but Iím glad Rick took the time to explain it. I know zero about business and this helps me understand the situation.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 19, 2:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
...My point in bringing up the companies that inflate their prices on low-value goods... was to diplomatically warn everyone of how that practice can really swing around and bite you if you're assembling a large order full of smallish items, and not price-comparing, as people often tend not to price-shop the small stuff.
I still compile a list of stuff I need, and then price/compare from a few places I generally trust or have had good service... Honestly, if I know its the same product I will often look at the overall cost (purchase, shipping and taxes), but then it really depends on the order. And while it doesn't usually make a huge difference, location also plays a part. Most parts are not a critical "need", but its still nicer to get my order in a few days rather than sometime next week...

But often, certain parts are offered at some suppliers, but not at others. So sometimes its a matter of trying to win the "free shipping" game when I need something not offered by a preferred supplier...

One complaint I have against NPD; The newer website does not seem to be as easy to navigate as the older version. I really liked the version where I could virtually flip through the catalog, click on a part number and it would take me to the latest description/price/availability... I don't see that option any longer, and the search doesn't help much (brings up too many incompatible choices)... I also liked when NPD had the actual manufacturer and part number listed, but seeing less of that...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 19, 2:37 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
One complaint I have against NPD; The newer website does not seem to be as easy to navigate as the older version. I really liked the version where I could virtually flip through the catalog, click on a part number and it would take me to the latest description/price/availability... I don't see that option any longer, and the search doesn't help much (brings up too many incompatible choices)... I also liked when NPD had the actual manufacturer and part number listed, but seeing less of that...
The "Virtual Catalog" option on the old site was actually my idea, because I've always been of the opinion that a logically laid-out traditional print catalog is STILL superior for finding stuff quickly (and being able to find all related components and fasteners and whatnot) than search windows and drill-downs. The latter are limited by what terminology you might be using (we follow the original GM text, but often there's multiple terms to describe a single part), and with drill-downs there's often 3 or 4 different areas that could be deemed as "logical" to locate an item. It's TOUGH.

That said, as we tracked behavior and page visits on our website, the sad truth was that hardly ANYONE was using our Virtual Catalog feature. 98+% of customers were insisting on going the search-window/drill-down route. Rightly or wrongly, it's how people want to shop. And indeed, they miss a ton of content by shopping that way, because they only tend see what they're looking for. They do NOT see what they've forgotten, or are unaware of.

The amount of labor (expense) we had to invest in maintaining those virtual flip-catalogs was immense, because we're publishing 13 brand-new books per-year. It was almost a full-time job, for a section of our site that hardly anyone was using.

So it got the axe when we went to the new platform. And in the 1 1/2 years that we've been on the new platform, our percentage of internet sales has increased 10%, which is a considerable 20% swing from traditional phone/counter to the web.

To all who preferred our Virtual Catalogs, I would suggest simply using the paper, and then for ordering online, we have a "Quick-Order" feature where you can type NPD part #'s directly into a form, and bingo, your shopping cart is loaded.

We are constantly working on improving our search window. But it's 125,000 parts in there, so lots of alternative terms to load to anticipate all possible queries. It's a tall mountain of data-entry to climb.

Man do I miss the days when it was just print catalogs, clubs, and marketing meant placing an ad in Super Chevy! It was easier then!! LOL!
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 19, 3:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Try shipping anything to Canada, big or small. I was going to order a tailgate latch trim piece for my 06 Chevy. Rock Auto had them on clearance for $0.99. Shipping was $15.00. I bought the exact one from the local parts store for $12.00.

1969 Beaumont

1977 Bronco

The rest are boring responsible adult vehicles not worth mentioning.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 19, 3:23 PM
Tech Team
KEITH

I sent a 4 inch X 4 inch box they weighed less than a pound to Canada 2 weeks ago. It cost $10.00. I didn't think it was crazy when you think its going to anouther country, customs, and as many hands or trucks it had to go through.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 19, 5:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77keith View Post
I sent a 4 inch X 4 inch box they weighed less than a pound to Canada 2 weeks ago. It cost $10.00. I didn't think it was crazy when you think its going to anouther country, customs, and as many hands or trucks it had to go through.

It's just frustrating to have to pay way more for the same thing than our neighbors to the south. Fortunately my parents winter in Arizona and can bring things back for me. Shipping is usually not the worst part, it's the duty and brokerage fees that add up. I also run across lots of sellers on Amazon or Ebay that won't ship to Canada.

1969 Beaumont

1977 Bronco

The rest are boring responsible adult vehicles not worth mentioning.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 7:14 AM
Senior Tech Team
Anakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris27 View Post
It's just frustrating to have to pay way more for the same thing than our neighbors to the south. Fortunately my parents winter in Arizona and can bring things back for me. Shipping is usually not the worst part, it's the duty and brokerage fees that add up. I also run across lots of sellers on Amazon or Ebay that won't ship to Canada.
Trapped behind the Maple Leaf Curtain!!!!
Chris27 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 419 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.