What is your opinion of "Street Outlaws" - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 4:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage
Re: What is your opinion of "Street Outlaws"

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty454 View Post
Nah, Ill stick with my Roadkill and Hot Rod Garage shows.
I would rather re-watch episodes of Roadkill, or Full Custom Garage, or Car Fix for no drama, plain old wrenching and car stuff.
To me the fake drama should have died out with American Chopper and Monster Garage. As for seeing racing, the few times I did watch it, every time there was some complaint/excuse, never just a damn, that is fast, you beat me.
von, 71350SS and Tophog like this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 6:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

I like the No-Prep Track series that Chuck runs. This is the closest thing to "street racing" in a safe and controlled environment you can come to.

Most of the 32 car field has a tough time with the no prep track. If it rains, they just dry it off and you run. You literally have to tune for what's there.

They also use an instant green start. Non of that stupid counting down the tree and going on yellow. Just my opinion, but Imthink that is the way all NHRA heads up classes should be run.
71350SS and Jerry Briggs like this.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 6:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
They also use an instant green start. Non of that stupid counting down the tree and going on yellow. Just my opinion, but Imthink that is the way all NHRA heads up classes should be run.
Jackie, I have the opposite view than yours on this and here's why: I prefer handicap-style racing by far because it gives everyone, fast or slow a fair chance at winning. Having raced in NHRA handicap-style Super Stock classes for over 15~20 years, I can tell you that the tree "countdown" you're referring to has a purpose not only in bracket racing but also in heads-up racing: It's there to give the guys who run turbos and superchargers time to build boost before launching. I personally, hate heads-up racing because it only favors the big guys who usually have deep pockets. The local, little guys have zero chance. When they have heads-up classes at my local track, I usually go to do time trials and tuning on my car but I load the car back on the trailer when the eliminations begin as I'm simply not interested. It doesn't matter how fast you're running, there'll always be someone faster than you out there… The winner will usually be the one who happens to be there on that particular day, the rest might as well stay home.

Claude.
Steve R likes this.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 8:54 PM
p40
Tech Team
butch

Garage

i like jackie like the no prep racing, have not seen no drama on there like these other car shows
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 9:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

Makes me long for the days of those bozos building bikes while screaming at each other throughout the whole episode, or Boyd Coddington throwing a hissy fit,...not. This too will pass...
post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 10:28 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
I like the No-Prep Track series that Chuck runs. This is the closest thing to "street racing" in a safe and controlled environment you can come to.

Most of the 32 car field has a tough time with the no prep track. If it rains, they just dry it off and you run. You literally have to tune for what's there.

“No prep” is actually prepped differently. A friend does track prep at several area tracks including NHRA divisional races and a local “grudge” series, for which he is paid very well. He said the tracks are scrapped and dragged for no prep races, they do everything but use chemicals the day if the race as they would do for bracket race. The events many tracks cut corners with are T&T’s and generic grudge nights.

Steve R
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 11:00 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

I wonder with the idea of getting the smaller, less well off guys involved. start a separate class with a tire limited to say a bfg radial t/a in a 275 60 15. no drag radials everyone is limited to a specific regular street tire, full on treads and everyone starts the day with a pair of brand new tires. jim
Nothingbut69 likes this.

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 11:36 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
I wonder with the idea of getting the smaller, less well off guys involved. start a separate class with a tire limited to say a bfg radial t/a in a 275 60 15. no drag radials everyone is limited to a specific regular street tire, full on treads and everyone starts the day with a pair of brand new tires. jim
I’ve raced Wednesday nights and weekend bracket races for years, I also help out the track when they are short handed. If someone wants to run their car, they will. All anyone needs to do is show up, pay your $25 and run. You don’t need a fast car, drag radials, slicks or even a helmet to make some passes. There are many more people that talk a big game than there are who actually willing to run their car. That’s never going to change, in fact it’s getting worse.

The big thing that keeps people from bringing their car from the track is they are afraid it’s not going to perform up to their expectations. Someone can make any claim they want, and often do, once they have a time slip in their hand those claims are either backed up, or come across as BS. For many, there is nothing but downside if they make a run.

Very few people on this site race, they like going to T&T’s and grudge night. Those aren’t races. The ones around here aren’t split up into classes and if someone beats you to the finish line, you can still make more runs. Those are the parts of the sport that is growing. A race is where two go down, one comes back.

Steve R
gnicholson and oliver69 like this.

Last edited by Steve R; Jan 17th, 19 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Grgfgffggfvddvfvfvfvfv
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 19, 1:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Daren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Thanks for all the replies so far....here is a video made by 1320 that you might find interesting.

True Life - I’m On STREET OUTLAWS! - YouTube
Interesting. I was wondering how old that was, Big Chief no tattoos, and his former wife in the background. It was 2016. Be kinda neat if 1320 did a 2019 version.

Daren

Everything is a hammer, some hammers are better than others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 19, 7:06 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren71 View Post
Interesting. I was wondering how old that was, Big Chief no tattoos, and his former wife in the background. It was 2016. Be kinda neat if 1320 did a 2019 version.

Daren
For sure Daren. I just happen to come across that on youtube. Amazing what a couple of years of fame will do to you....
Daren71 likes this.

67 chevelle malibu / SS/ custom

Currently undergoing a metal work to remove all rust, if I ever get there.

Cant decide on prostreet or cruiser with a 4 speed.
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 19, 1:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

Quote:
For sure Daren. I just happen to come across that on youtube. Amazing what a couple of years of fame will do to you....
In the last year or two, "Big Chief" has been acting like he is a "gangsta", with is mannerisms and probably stoned discourse.

Of course these guys are making money, how much is the only question.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 19, 2:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
I like some of the racing, and some of the car prep, but I can't stand the manufactured drama.. That goes for most shows on TV... The "negotiations" are okay, usually...

I hate the editing style, jumping back and forth between different views during a race, often making a 5-6 second race look like 10+ seconds...

One of the things I hate about all these reality shows, is showing a scene, and cutting for a commercial (understandable though), and then after the commercial, its the same 10-15 second lead in hype...

Memphis? Nah, reminds me of that "Honey Boo Boo" crap... It's like WWE wrestling, can't believe anyone over the age of 11 falls for that crap...
Wow, did you just admit on a World Wide Web Site that you watched "Honey Boo Boo".

(Just kidding).
Pioneer4x4 likes this.

post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 19, 9:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Well...I have been wondering about this.....came across this tidbit on youtube……its about five years old though.

Opinions?

post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 19, 10:21 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Well...I have been wondering about this.....came across this tidbit on youtube……its about five years old though.

STREET OUTLAWS Unfairly Targeted !!! vs NEWS MEDIA pt 2 - YouTube

Opinions?
That story was was a whole bunch of nothing.

Steve R
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 19, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
That story was was a whole bunch of nothing.

Steve R
Maybe so Steve, but when law enforcement is staking out your work site...sounds kind of scary to me...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 372 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.