Tile installers? - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

5Likes
  • 3 Post By 55Redneck
  • 1 Post By no1dc
  • 1 Post By 55Redneck

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Pete

Tile installers?

I have a bathroom in my B-I-L house that is plaster. Never had anything installed over it and was not used. I need to make the bathtub/shower functional. Can I just install subway tile right to the plaster walls? The walls were redone in this house years ago and are in good shape. There is a little scaling around the tube pipe spout. I think he used the tub and some water may have splashed onto this area. Best way to repair if need prior to tile install. The house will be sold but I also do not want to hide anything or do the job improperly. TIA Pete

Member# 1097
1970 Chevelle 350cu w/ th350, 750 edel carb, perform intake and lopey cam of unknown specs which produces low vacuum 7-9", otherwise stock motor.
67 std Camaro conv, 1978 Corvette, 03 Silverado, 13 Sonata Hybrid

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 12:49 PM
Tech Team
Red

Re: Tile installers?

30+year tile installer here (retired). I would not tile over plaster in a moisture area EVER! I would install cement board or hardibacker or some similar product for piece of mind. If your BIL is selling and doesn't care about problems for the next owner then go over the plaster but the job WILL fail probably sooner than later.
blm, BTK and 68-13427 like this.

Sometimes a man's got to do what a woman would never consider.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 3:23 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Redneck View Post
30+year tile installer here (retired). I would not tile over plaster in a moisture area EVER! I would install cement board or hardibacker or some similar product for piece of mind. If your BIL is selling and doesn't care about problems for the next owner then go over the plaster but the job WILL fail probably sooner than later.
I was afraid you were going to say that. No I do not want to cause an issue for the next homeowner. Looks like I'll be removing some plaster and installing cement board. B-I-L passed and left the house to my daughter and we are trying to fix(properly) what needs to be fixed. Thanks for the advice.
LeoP likes this.

Member# 1097
1970 Chevelle 350cu w/ th350, 750 edel carb, perform intake and lopey cam of unknown specs which produces low vacuum 7-9", otherwise stock motor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 4:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I 100% agree with the " Redneck ". When we had the bathroom " 100% 're done, The wife wanted tile. First on the agenda was--- Remove the 4 walls and the floor & ceiling and install the Cement board.
My friend the construction guy said you can dang near power wash the bathroom when you have the cement board.
I guess the plaster & sheetrock board is the old style and not being used today.
Bob

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 4:15 PM
Tech Team
Red

The biggest problem I've found with plaster is unless it has a seal coat over it, it's like chalk and your tile will just fall off as the plaster lets go. If it's sealed the mortar or glue has no way to stick to it as the surface needs to absorb a bit of moisture from the adhesive and sealed plaster will not do that. It doesn't sound like a fun project your about to tackle but you'll be ok if you take your time and do a little research. Try a site called the Floor pro,some good people in the know there. I don't have the link handy but I'll see if I can find it for you.

Edit for the link
https://thefloorpro.com/
shovelrick likes this.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 4:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinls5 View Post
I 100% agree with the " Redneck ". When we had the bathroom " 100% 're done, The wife wanted tile. First on the agenda was--- Remove the 4 walls and the floor & ceiling and install the Cement board.
My friend the construction guy said you can dang near power wash the bathroom when you have the cement board.
I guess the plaster & sheetrock board is the old style and not being used today.
Bob
House was built in 1917 and the plaster was redone in the whole house sometime in the late 70's early 80's. What about a tub surround vs tile?

Member# 1097

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 5:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

I agree, 100% cement board or Hardi backer.

If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 7:09 PM
Senior Tech Team

Consider using Schluter Kerdi membrane over the plaster if you don't want to remove the plaster, then tile over that. Compare that to the price of having a tub surround installed and decide what you like best.

ak
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 7:39 PM
Tech Team
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak 67SD View Post
Consider using Schluter Kerdi membrane over the plaster if you don't want to remove the plaster, then tile over that. Compare that to the price of having a tub surround installed and decide what you like best.

ak
That thought crossed my mind too because it's a very good product but I wouldn't be confident Kerdi would continue to stick to the plaster long term.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 8:58 PM
Senior Tech Team

Schluter will likely provide customer support on the substrate. I'd likely only be concerned if it's glossy oil based paint which is pretty likely in an old house. Likely a primer would be needed, and maybe a heavy grit paper over the surface. Heck I'd prime and tile over the plaster and seal the grout after, it'll likely last decades... it's not like it's just tile over gypsum wall board.

ak
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 10:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

My tiler used the Schulter membrane right over the sheet rock, no tiles have fallen off yet.

https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/en_US/

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 18, 8:14 AM
Tech Team
Red

Quote:
Heck I'd prime and tile over the plaster and seal the grout after, it'll likely last decades... it's not like it's just tile over gypsum wall board.

ak
What's more likely is someone like myself will have to come along in a few years and do a complete tearout and do it right. You would have a better chance of a lasting job if you went over plain old drywall.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 18, 8:18 AM
Tech Team
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 cruiser View Post
My tiler used the Schulter membrane right over the sheet rock, no tiles have fallen off yet.

https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/en_US/
That install will probably last decades without a problem. My concern about using Kerdi over plaster is will the kerdi stay adhered to the plaster and I have my doubts there and would NOT do it.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 18, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Pete

Quote:
Schluter will likely provide customer support on the substrate. I'd likely only be concerned if it's glossy oil based paint which is pretty likely in an old house. Likely a primer would be needed, and maybe a heavy grit paper over the surface. Heck I'd prime and tile over the plaster and seal the grout after, it'll likely last decades... it's not like it's just tile over gypsum wall board.

ak
There has been no paint, primer or anything applied to the plaster since it was redone.

The quandary I'm in is I strongly believe the person who buys this house will want to personalize it to there liking. They will most likely remodel the bathroom. The appraiser suggested that the bathroom needs to be functional, which at present it isn't and especially if whoever buys it wants to take out a loan/mortgage to buy it.

Member# 1097

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 18, 3:32 PM
Tech Team
Will

I am not a pro tile installer. I do mostly exterior stone work and brick pavers. Most of the work around pools. I have done 4 standard bathtubs and two built in showers over the last 8-10 years. All still in good working order and no leaks. From what I remember researching it for the first one I did, the advantage to the kerdi/schluter type system was time savings. I think the materials were actually more expensive. If YOU are the one installing it, I would probably just replace it all with the cement/hardi board like others suggested. Its not that much more work, and you don't have to worry about selling someone a shotty house. Also, there are some really good water proofings on the market such as red guard. If you decide to use those, you want to bypass any vapor barrier behind the cement board. It can basically trap moisture between the water proofing and vapor barrier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in