Hunter Killer - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 18, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Hunter Killer

Pretty damned good movie.

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.315 60'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 12:11 PM
Team Member
Tom

Re: Hunter Killer

Never heard of it. What's a Hunter Killer?

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 1:50 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZAUTO View Post
Never heard of it. What's a Hunter Killer?
A 688 attack sub, or similar (subs that hunt other subs, not missile subs), and the name of a new movie.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 2:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Garage

This is what I think of when I hear HK.

Hunter-Killer | Terminator Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia
Pioneer4x4 likes this.

-Joe
Team Chevelle #2680
'69 Malibu Convertible
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 3:21 PM
Senior Tech Team

I saw the trailer for it on YouTube. Itís a B movie staring Gerard Butler, his house burned down last weekend, which sucks. I hope he had a deal to get a cut of any profits, which will help cover any losses above what insurance pays.

Steve R
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 4:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Not just Hunt for Red October(great movie, excellent book), I've been a fan of all of the Tom Clancy books, and there were several that featured good submarine action. Plus I always like any sub movies for the most part. Run Silent, Run Deep, Das Boot (superb!), The Enemy Below, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea...
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 4:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
I saw the trailer for it on YouTube. Itís a B movie staring Gerard Butler, his house burned down last weekend, which sucks. I hope he had a deal to get a cut of any profits, which will help cover any losses above what insurance pays.

Steve R
B movie likely because it was not a top paid actor etc.
It is an excellent movie. Likely because they had real actors who acted.
ZZ69chevelle likes this.

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.315 60'
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 5:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
Not just Hunt for Red October(great movie, excellent book), I've been a fan of all of the Tom Clancy books, and there were several that featured good submarine action. Plus I always like any sub movies for the most part. Run Silent, Run Deep, Das Boot (superb!), The Enemy Below, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea...
Crimson Tide?

Operation Petticoat?

Gray Lady Down

VttBotS was one of my favorite TV shows as a kid. It's contemporary - Seaquest wasn't bad early on... but eventually sank.
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 6:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Don't forget Down Periscope: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116130/

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 18, 10:01 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR71 View Post
Crimson Tide?
Nope
Quote:
Operation Petticoat?
Yep
Quote:
Gray Lady Down
Yep
U571 maybe, but probably not
1941 has funny sub scene

I always wanted to sign up for submarine service, thought it would be amazing. I ended up knowing 1 guy younger than me that did, and 1 guy older than me that did (he was drafted back in the day). Both told me it was as boring and as confined and unprivate as could be, then some. Neither say any kind of combat but said it would have been absolutely terrifying. So, maybe a tech on a modern missile sub would be tolerable, but not as cool as I always imagined it. After touring about 4 older subs, they were probably right. But hey, still love the movies and books.

And I really appreciate the guys that did/do serve in them!

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 18, 10:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage

I read that the movie crew and actors actually went to sea for several days on a similar submarine. They then went back to the studio and built an almost identical set that operated on hydraulics to give the necessary diving and maneuvering angles.
US Navy was fully cooperative which has been pretty rare since the Cher battleship incident and one of the SEAL movies. (Can't remember which one but the SEAL commander who gave the initial OK, said "Never Again".

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 18, 11:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

I saw it and also liked it. It was kind of like Hunt for Red October, and I really liked that movie, also.

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 18, 3:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

A question about Submarine Movies.

In the movies, when a sub is subjected to a depth charge attack, or in more recent movies torpedoes from a plane or another Sub, you will see violent shaking and the obligatory flange blow and water start coming in. Then, someone will turn a valve and it stops.

Well, what the heck did that part do in the first place if you could just turn it off and solve the problem.

The same goes for rivets and bolts popping. What the heck are they holding in the first place?

That being said, I enjoy these movies. Das Boot probably the best. I think it gave a pretty realistic depiction of hoe unglorious, and pure hell that service was.
shovelrick likes this.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 18, 5:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage

Although I wasn't a sub sailor I can give you a general idea until a real submariner steps up and corrects me.
Submarines rely on the transfer of air and water to be able to move up and down. There are also water lines for the crew and cooling of components. With the older Diesel subs pipes ran everywhere and were often connected with flanges and nuts and bolts. They were designed to dive no more than 300 feet so the pressure wasn't that great. There always a valve to turn the water on and off in case of battle damage. This is true of all Naval ships. With modern submarines flanges are few and far between. Dive depth is much deeper and the pressure requires welded pipes.
Several years go the USS San Francisco collided with an undersea mount and severely damaged the bow. She managed to surface and was brought back to port. The shipyard grafted a used bow from a decommissioned sub and the San Francisco returned to service but only as a training boat. They didn't believe the hull was as strong as originally built and diving depth was restricted.
joeyv69ragtop likes this.

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 18, 6:35 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage
If i couldnt have an old chevelle, camaro, or monte carlo, i would drive a sub. Submarines amaze me. I can spend hours online reading about subs. As a really young kid, my father drug me around to all kinds of navy ships. I was just really to young and had the attention of a gnat to appreciate them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in