Air Compressor Blues... - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 74 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 18, 8:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
Re: Air Compressor Blues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
Here you go is this what you are looking for ?

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/...729652479.html

sometimes you can find a gem on the local craigslist if you aren't in a hurry to buy one.Although this one is probably too far away for your needs.
I think that one may be even older than mine - either that, or someone put a completely different compressor on the tank. I have checked Craigslist locally and there are several setup like mine, but every single one of them has pinholes in the tank (several different brands).

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 74 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 18, 9:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

For $7 you can JB weld the pin holes worst thing that would happen is you will get another hole..You got that now.
Best thing that could happen is the fix gets you another year or more while you search for a tank.
I passed up 2 tanks at local auctions one was a portable 20 gallon and the other was a 5 gallon.

5 bucks each. I have portable tanks and have stuck them onto things like yours.
Maybe you can find a newer oil less compressor that is shot with a good tank. If you are not into Epoxy fixes.
shovelrick likes this.
post #18 of 74 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 18, 11:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
billy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff swisher View Post
My father-in-law has the same one as does a friend that sold me my 47 dodge truck. Both tanks leaked.
I have fixed leaking tanks with Original JB weld.
Sand the area with 80 grit sand paper and clean with acetone or lacquer thinner and paper towels.
Make sure no moisture or oil is present.

Now mix up the JB weld and let it set for a few minutes and then mix it again.
I may over kill on the 2X mixing but it is what I do.

Now spread it onto the place to be patched.
I have used masking tape to hold it in place or keep it from saging.
That may just save your tank.

I used it on fuel tanks also and never had a leak and I ran MTBE TEL toluene and other things in my tank never an issue.
DO NOT use JB quick

I have never seen an air tank come apart they always develop a leak and fizzle out like a dud firecracker. Path of least resistance.
i had a neighbor his 3 yr old son walked by a POS Craftsman Air Compressor very similar to the ops time bomb . The tank exploded maiming the child severely and I mean severely ! it amazes me so many are ignorant to the fact these things will explode and should be inspected , my guess its just something most people are really unaware of happening ! I change my tank every eight years and not with some old rotted tank or patch welding a rusted out tank . A decent new compressor is starting at what 400 bucks ! IMO the OP has escaped a bullet with that time bomb and better off going to the orange box a picking up a nice new compressor
post #19 of 74 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 6:33 AM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

Never seen it happen. But I suppose it does happen as you have stated.

Yep If it is a danger by all means spend now and avoid the above. Would be money well spent.
Mine is under the steel work bench with 3/4 plywood hiding it and only a hole in the plywood for the fan to get air.
Mine is not portable though.
b&b's69 likes this.
post #20 of 74 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 8:06 AM
Senior Tech Team
billy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff swisher View Post
Never seen it happen. But I suppose it does happen as you have stated.

Yep If it is a danger by all means spend now and avoid the above. Would be money well spent.
Mine is under the steel work bench with 3/4 plywood hiding it and only a hole in the plywood for the fan to get air.
Mine is not portable though.
the accident changed my thinking about air compressors and their safety ! it took years before the child was able to walk again ! iMO ts just not worth the slightest chance of something failing causing tragedy
post #21 of 74 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 8:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I've never seen or heard about one blowing up but I could imagine the metal pieces going like a grenade, I'd replace the tank with a new one, the motor & pump might last longer than a new one, they don't make them like that anymore, I bought an '87 CH 5 hp 60 gal for $125 a few years ago, take a chance on a used 1 or buy new

post #22 of 74 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 10:44 AM
Tech Team
Dwight

One of those self tapping sheet metal screws with a rubber washer fixed mine up the other day. It is in the far back corner of the shop so not really worried about it blowing up. I suppose it could happen though.
post #23 of 74 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Here are a couple that I am considering. The Porter Cable will be less than $400 with tax (2 year warranty) and the California Air Tools unit will be about $415 with tax (1 year warranty). Let me know what you think:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...r?cm_vc=-10005

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Californ...020C/205773204

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #24 of 74 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 11:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ron

https://www.about-air-compressors.co...mpressor-.html

Yep, they go boom!

You might contact these people:

https://www.compressorworld.com/air-tanks
b&b's69 likes this.

My car is here:

post #25 of 74 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 12:29 PM
Gold Member

Wow. That tank ripped open on a nearly perfect straight line. Makes me wonder if that was the welded seam in the tank. Depending on heat affected zones and such, a weld can corrode faster than the metal adjacent to it.
post #26 of 74 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 1:39 PM
Mike

Pressure vessels like these are not repairable. Do everyone a favor and do the right thing and get rid of it / destroy it.
I can't hardly express in words how dangerous it is to attempt a at home repair. Yes, these are made to fail in a predicable manner,but when you start modifying or repairing them you can create a potential bomb.
Please don't attempt repairs.
Mike
post #27 of 74 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 1:41 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
Wow. That tank ripped open on a nearly perfect straight line. Makes me wonder if that was the welded seam in the tank. Depending on heat affected zones and such, a weld can corrode faster than the metal adjacent to it.
I think it rip right down the seam. Wonder if the regulator/shut off valve was working properly or it just kept on pumping air until it burst?
post #28 of 74 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 1:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Im thinking its time to make a scatter shield blanket to wrap our tanks in!
The tanks should at least have some type rust proof applied to the bottom ,inside surfaces
71350SS and b&b's69 like this.
post #29 of 74 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 2:34 PM
Tech Team
Arno

Garage

Do not try to repair the tank.Buy a cheap china s??? compessor from a discounter,take the new tank and mount your compressor without the tank on top.It will be portable and the new tank should be good another 15 years...
Over here,they sell complete china compressors for under 150 $-the motor /switch and Valves are always junk-the tank is never the problem...

Arno
post #30 of 74 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 3:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Well if the inside was coated with something to stop the rust the compressor companies would make their product last longer and thus sell less products.
So someone needs to come up with a product that can be applied to the insides of a brand new compressor tank to stop the rust from starting at all cause we all know that a company's bottom line is worth more than our safety right ?

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in