"Car Guy" vacation ideas - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 18, 6:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Daren

Re: "Car Guy" vacation ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris27 View Post
I am leaning pretty hard towards the World of Outlaws finals in NC.
You certainly wonít be disappointed. Going to see some of the Cup shops is worth it too.

Daren
Chris27 likes this.

Everything is a hammer, some hammers are better than others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 18, 1:54 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Plus, your dad has been to SEMA.

Not being into circle track, I like the LA trip as well. Ponoma. Peterson's, etc.

NC is a COMPLETELY different flavor. And truly a nice place to "set a spell". You could line up some other car guy things to do.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 18, 2:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

If I knew a way to get me and my dad into SEMA, I'd love it. Last 2 attempts failed.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 18, 12:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

What a great gift!

My son and I take off 2-3 times a year for a "day event," anywhere from 4-6 hours away. It's leave at 6 am and get home between 10 and midnight, but we always have a good time. Sometimes it's a car show, sometimes it's drags, sometimes a swap meet.

If I had your offer, I would participate in Drag Week. Period. I don't care what it would take to get a car together or make it to the starting line, I would do it.

Devin
Chris27 likes this.

Just an El Camino
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 18, 1:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Verle

I have been to several Calisle, PA events. Very large, lots of cars, lots of parts, three days are not enough time.
Carlisle Events

Pebble Beach Concurs D'Elegance. High end restored antique cars in a stunning setting on the beach. You will see cars you never heard of.
https://www.pebblebeachconcours.net/

Laguna Seca sports car track is nearby.
WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca

Tulsa Raceway Park, Tulsa, OK
Tulsa Raceway Park

National Street Rod National Convention
https://www.nsra-usa.com/

I think someone already mentioned the Chili Bowl sprint car race in Tulsa, OK. It may already be sold out.
https://www.chilibowl.com/news/?i=56266

Verle
Tulsa, Ok
65 Chevelle L79 since Feb 1965

post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 18, 1:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Iíd go to Pomona, to this day, there is nothing like a pair of top fuel cars leaving the line together on a full pass. You canít describe it and the best and biggest TV in the world wonít come close to duplicating. There are also plenty of other things to do in LA, both car related and not. There is the NHRA museum, Petersen automotive museum, more than a few shops and manufacturers, Mulholland drive, that doesnít even get to driving around older neighborhoods looking at what cars are parked on the streets and in driveways. Then you get to the typical tourist stuff like Disneyland, universal studios, Getty museum, a basket ball of hockey game, some of the old iconic diners or drive ins that still exist. The weather is almost always good, traffic sucks and things can be expensive, but the broad array of things to do may outweigh everything else.

The problem of something like power tour is, what if you donít enjoy it? Where else can you turn, not everyone likes car shows, especially after one or two days. Would you really have a good time following it in a rental car.

Steve R
If you head this way, make your route down the Pacific Coast. Nothing beats that drive. Scenery, nature, and hydrocarbons. I made that trip in a Z28 carrying a small tent and staying in campgrounds and motels. I'll never forget it.
Steve R likes this.
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 18, 9:08 PM
rkd
Team Member
Ron

Suggest Crusin the Coast in South Mississippi, the first full week of Oct every year. Saturday, all week to the next Sat, five or six towns, 4000 cars. Great swap meet/vendor setup.

Or if you want to go over the top, Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach, SC, just got back.

Make sure to include the Don Garlits Museum in Ocala, FL!

66 Malibu Coupe, home rebuilt 350. Took me 39 years to get her!
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 18, 1:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblack View Post
Hot Rod Power Tour! Seven cities in seven days. Thousands of cars, back road America.

We traveled about 2600 miles and a blast, met a lot of great car folks as well.
That would top my list, although I would prefer to stop over in moderately-sized towns, (up to 75,000 population) rather than cities. Problem is, these tours all take place back east. It would be cool to organize a power tour of the northwest, (WA, OR, ID, WY, MT and BC) where we have it all; huge mountains, tall trees, unspoiled coastline, farmlands, orchards and high, dry deserts. I can think of some great back roads, scenic stopovers and and towns to consider. I would prefer keeping a NW event much smaller than the "thousands" they draw back east, perhaps only a few hundred.

Potential Stopovers: Port Angeles WA, Astoria/Lincoln City/Newport, OR; Grants Pass/Ashland, OR; Bend, OR; Pendleton/Baker City, OR; Idaho Falls, ID; Jackson, WY; Bozeman/Livingston, MT; Anaconda, MT; Missoula, MT; Couer d' Alene, ID; Walla Walla, WA; Wenatchee, WA; Penticton, BC; Harrison Hot Springs, BC; Whistler, BC and Victoria, BC. This would be a sampler of some of the best scenery in the NW, while avoiding the larger population centers along the I-5, I-84 and I-90 corridors.
Pete 67, Chris27 and Thumpin'66 like this.
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 18, 12:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansk View Post
More of a road trip but my wife and I drove route 66 and it was great. We took 2 weeks to do it and there was something new to see every day. We stayed in vintage hotels and saw a part of America and americana that we hadn't seen before. Maybe not what the original poster was looking for but I highly recommend it.
True. The Route 66 Drive is a summer outing due to the fact that too many attractions are closed during the winter. So, if you're intending to drive your classic car/collector car it had better have A/C and no over heating issues. Finding the "real" Historic Route 66 takes some research effort (many of the route sign markers are posted under the "close enough for government work" ethic).

Our You Tube Vids:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 494 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.