Hurricane Florence... - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 7:14 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Re: Hurricane Florence...

If you are in the direct path then GTFO. Houses can be replaced. You and your loved ones cannot. Those that stay behind are not heros. Only lucky if they are still around to tell their tale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 7:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Be safe over there on the Coast. This storm doesn't look like any joke.

'66 SS Chevelle
91 octane special
first day out
[email protected]
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 8:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

My brother lives in NC 30 miles from the coast. He is in the direct line of this storm. Hes back here now. Stay safe. This storm looks like a bad one.

64 Chevelle 496
64 F100 Street Rod with BBC /Chevy trapped in a ford body
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 8:06 PM
Team Member

Looks like a nasty one and hope everyone can ride it out safely.
Not many times I would take our weather patterns over the Carolina's but this is one of them.
Good Luck

Dunc

'You are what you are and you aint what you aint' - John Prine
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 8:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg1969 View Post
I have a brother that lives in NC, near the shore line just 200 feet north of RT 24 in Newport not far from Morehead city. He is boarding up his home and ride it out. THAT IS NUTS! I pray to God for him and his wife's safety.
Hope things go OK for him, but what is he thinking? If I were the wife, Id say see ya later.
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 9:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Hope you can ride out the storm in peace and safety..
that being said, Dibs on your Chevelle...
Hotwire likes this.

Auto Upholstery Trimmer since 1977
Palo Alto Upholstery 650 326 6414
1967 Chevelle Super Sport 4sp.
1953 Chevy Bel Air 4 door.
1957 Chevy Bel Air 2 dr Hard Top.
1968 Chevy C20 CST Longbed.
1967 Malibu 396 Powerglide.
post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 9:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

I live in Houston, (Gulf Coast my entire life), so I have seen countless Storms.

I'm fascinated at the amount of panic shown by the News Media and the Polititians. "Biggest Storm Ever" . Come on, while it's not a small Storm, it's kinda middle of the road as far as hurricanes go.

We went through Hurricane Ike 10 years so. It was, size wise, twice as big as this storm. Lots of damage. But we cleaned up, and got on with life.

We had Harvey come in last year. Not much of a Hurricane. But it decided to park its self on the coast and dump close to 60 inches of rain n 36 hours. Houston was under water.

The "category" number really doesn't mean that much. They all dissipate quickly upon land fall. The big thing is the rain. If it stalls, and keeps picking up moisture out of the Atlantic, you could be in for a major disaster.

As bad as Ike was, Harvey was much worse in the misery it inflicted.

Shelter from wind, run from water. That is the motto on the Gulf Coast. I would say it's the same for the long time residents of the East Coast.
Steve R and LeoP like this.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 10:21 PM
Tech Team
Deon

Garage

Here in Charleston it is pretty calm. I am golfing tomorrow off until Monday. Looks to be a wet weekend.

72 Chevelle, 454, TH400, 3:73's

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 10:53 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

I always figured stuff like that happens on the east coast. Driving inland from Outer Banks, N.C. in 2003 I saw Emergency Evacuation Route signs for a good 50 miles inland. Also driving up the Carolina coast in May '90 well after Hurricane Hugo I just couldn't believe the destruction. For 70 miles I saw forests flattened, and dumpsters in place all the way to Virginia for roof replacement.

Hopefully it is nothing more than a lot of noise & wind but quickly dies out. Hang onto your hats. I'll be praying for you all.
Steve R and Hotwire like this.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 11:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Yeah, all those Hurricane Evacuation route signs are a real joke, never gonna happen on those roads. Stay off the interstates and learn and use the back roads, you'll do a lot better on time!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 18, 5:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SS454Chevelle View Post
Here in Charleston it is pretty calm. I am golfing tomorrow off until Monday. Looks to be a wet weekend.
It is always calm before the storm. In Florida, we just don't care. We generally just stay prepared. As of August, we stocked up. Hoarding 200 gallons of REC90. Tractor has a full tank of farm grade diesel. Twelve cases of Costco bottled water. Two generators, five cases of oil. Enough food to last the four of us. Both the chainsaws are tuned up and full. All the hurricane shutters are organized with fasteners. At least twenty LED LiPo flashlights. Spare ac unit.

Floyd, Jean, Irma, Charlie, Andrew, Katrina (Hit Mike Merlos stomping grounds four days before New Orleans) taught us alot.

Board up, live through it, chop up the trees, wait for power.

What complicates our situation is my 74 year old mother in law lives with us as of January. She has breast cancer and is on oxygen. Trying to stay over prepare.
Hotwire likes this.

Couple of junkers and a few clunkers.
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 18, 6:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy's Auto Repair View Post
It is always calm before the storm. In Florida, we just don't care. We generally just stay prepared. As of August, we stocked up. Hoarding 200 gallons of REC90. Tractor has a full tank of farm grade diesel. Twelve cases of Costco bottled water. Two generators, five cases of oil. Enough food to last the four of us. Both the chainsaws are tuned up and full. All the hurricane shutters are organized with fasteners. At least twenty LED LiPo flashlights. Spare ac unit.

Floyd, Jean, Irma, Charlie, Andrew, Katrina (Hit Mike Merlos stomping grounds four days before New Orleans) taught us alot.

Board up, live through it, chop up the trees, wait for power.

What complicates our situation is my 74 year old mother in law lives with us as of January. She has breast cancer and is on oxygen. Trying to stay over prepare.
Don't forget about the critters.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 18, 7:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR71 View Post
You'd think people would have a lot of stuff already from all those other cataclysmic events that either passed without issue or never happened. I can understand gas running short as you simply can't store it for long periods of time anyway. But generators, batteries, etc. you should already have on-hand if you really expect things to get that bad. What's sad is how many of those generators find their way up on Craigslist after the storm - frequently unused. Then the cycle repeats again for the next major storm!

And just how much bread, milk, toilet paper, peanut butter does one need for 2 to 3 days anyway?
I'll be on craigslist next week finding a nice generator. My wife has been showing me stuff on facebook for the past couple days, there are some good comedians out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg1969 View Post
I have a brother that lives in NC, near the shore line just 200 feet north of RT 24 in Newport not far from Morehead city. He is boarding up his home and ride it out. THAT IS NUTS! I pray to God for him and his wife's safety.
Even if it turns down to a Cat1, it's still going 17 mph. The Governor warned everyone to get out, if you don't go, send all your info to your next of kin. Pretty serious stuff. Might send this to your brother, he still has time.

https://youtu.be/S7Fu-v490-c

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71'bu View Post
Ill be more than happy to adopt anyone's car while they ride out the storm!
Thanks, now I have to clean up coffee. Not sure you'd want mine, it's a pile of parts and rust on wheels.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 18, 7:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Alex

Garage

My parents house from Floyd. We lost pretty much everything. They had to get my parents and sister out in a boat. Waist deep in the house and up to my shoulders at the end of the driveway.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1969 Chevelle SS --- 468 FTI Level 4 TH400 AFR 290cc's
1997 S10 SS ---LQ9/4l65e
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 18, 11:46 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That's no joke there.
If a storm like this were marginalized by government or the media there would be a tremendous loss of life if it actually met the early predictions. Much better to be safe than dead. Perhaps a real pita but life can be a pita. At least there is a way out of that mess.
When the "big one" (earthquake) hits the LA area nobody is going anywhere and it will be catastrophic.

'66 SS Chevelle
91 octane special
first day out
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 661 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.