summers fading fast and nothing got done to the car - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac
summers fading fast and nothing got done to the car

I usually try to do 1 thing to the car each summer and here it is almost August and nothing much was accomplished except a new distributor and swapping the bucket seats to a bench seat (seems weird right?)
AC, engine swap, cylinder head swap, new grill kit etc was sort of in the plans but nothing came of it. At least they run so that's a plus, but I keep wanting to do a upgrade. Just can't figure it out yet.
anyone else get stuck in a rut? jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed 3.31 12 bolt posi
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 454-th400 3.07 12 bolt
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt and a newly added 142 wieand blower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 11:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hunter

Re: summers fading fast and nothing got done to the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
I usually try to do 1 thing to the car each summer and here it is almost August and nothing much was accomplished except a new distributor and swapping the bucket seats to a bench seat (seems weird right?)
AC, engine swap, cylinder head swap, new grill kit etc was sort of in the plans but nothing came of it. At least they run so that's a plus, but I keep wanting to do a upgrade. Just can't figure it out yet.
anyone else get stuck in a rut? jim
Yep. I feel the same way. I sit at the office all week telling myself I am going to get up early on Saturday and work on the car. Then Saturday comes and I find that watching Jay Leno's Garage is more than enough for me for that day. I've got a few boxes of parts I ordered from Summit that I haven't even opened yet, and it's been too long for me to return them. If that's not a rut, I don't know what is...

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
70CHEVELLE396 likes this.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 18, 12:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

I'm stuck in a rut. To much work, too damn hot to work and hiding in front of the a/c or swamp cooler all day. Can't wait for winter. I'm tired of melting.
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 18, 12:58 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

stuck in a rut also

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 18, 1:06 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

If the stuff I did was just bolt on, perhaps it would go quicker. But it seems everything I do is custom and requires me to learn it, design/engineer it, source it, build it, and then install it. Then something goes wrong afterwards, and the process starts again.

That just takes the fun out of things and thus my motivation gets pretty dwindled down.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 18, 1:56 AM
Tech Team
rick

I'm kinda in a rut. my goal this summer was to get the Malibu painted. So far, still not even epoxy primer on it yet. I think it's mostly I just don't want to paint because, I've dismantled 3 old trucks, prepped 2 frames, rebuilt both steering and suspension, and in the process of rebuilding 2 rear ends. still, I sit and dread stripping and painting the trucks as well. So as far as I can tell, all that busy work is just to avoid painting the Malibu.

67 Chevelle (current project)
72 D100 stepside (current side project)
73 D100 styleside (current side, side project)
65 el camino (sold)
95 GSXR750 (OEM restoration)
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 18, 3:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Nope.......been making steady progress on my 56 Chevy. Philip has been a big help. Got the Vintage Air in it, new Dakota Digital gauges, new 3 point seat belts........ tomorrow we're starting on the power windows and door locks. Got rolls of insulation and the carpet to do.
I retired a month ago, and starting to get in the groove. It's amazing what you can accomplish with a week full of Saturdays.

66 Malibu

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 18, 3:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Maybe spend less time walking the dogs, buying stuff you don't need and avoiding your projects
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 18, 6:07 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Yup. Trans took a dump on me, and while waiting for a new one to arrive I've been ignoring my car... lots of things to do to it, but lots of other things to do too so I am doing those other things instead.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 18, 6:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

I'm not in a rut on this car but have been in the past. When that happens I just think "baby steps" and try to do something no matter how small each day. If you need a short nap when you get home from work, do it and then get out there. I watched my father in law succumb to excuses. He couldn't do this or that because it may rain or it's hot or whatever. Don't be a pitiful old man! You can do it!
70CHEVELLE396 likes this.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 18, 6:27 AM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Ive been in that rut for a few years! At least most of those who commented live where winter really isnt winter, like it is in the Northeast. But, if I retire in October, Ill have some time to get things done. Right now, the regular 8 hr work day drains my fuel tank.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 18, 7:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

Awhile back I was like that for a long time, work stress was affecting me much more than I thought it would or could. Put on some pounds and more or less stopped enjoying my hobbies.

One day I said that enough was enough. Changed my diet enough to drop some weight and forced myself to work in the shop a couple of evenings a week and some on weekends. Can't believe the difference it has made in my attitude and outlook on life. Yes, projects still get frustrating at times (don't ask how the EFI conversion has been fighting me) but I'm back to making progress and really enjoying the work.

Work is still stressful but I'm coping by finding enjoyment and progress in my projects. Need a self induced swift kick in my butt to turn things around.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 18, 7:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I am starting to get into a rut. Two weeks ago new pads on the front of the wagon, Then remove and clean the 4 row rad. and reinstall. Three weeks ago I blasted and painted a 3-R driveshaft ( 5 Colors & stripes) and got parts from Dennys.
Put the tires and wheels back on the wagon last night. Cleaning the bottom for the Ohio show. Today, Polish and do the interior.
this Wed. throw some stuff inside for the show.
Thursday Morn. head for the T-Pike and Ohio. I do not work the long hours like I use to. Yes, I have slowed down a bit, WHY?
My Alligator mind is overloading my Canary Azz ! I hit 78 this July !.................
Bob
P.S.:
I am not as good as I once was, BUT, I am good once as I ever was.
427L88, LeoP and shovelrick like this.

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 18, 8:31 AM
Tech Team
Troy

My son and I put a headliner in his 1968 Cutlass last weekend...one more thing checked off my "to do summer list". I have to add on to a horse fence yet, and I have cedar siding on my house that needs to be scraped, sanded and painted...I have the south side done and half of the east side. I can't spend too much more money on the Chevelle this year because we are getting more asphalt "tar" done this fall. Last fall we had some done between our house and the building out back...fairly good size area....now we are going to get the main driveway done...its gravel now...its about 240 feet long by 12 foot wide. Can't wait to have that done....the gravel will be gone! Chevelle agenda next year will be front end rebuild, rebuild brakes, 4 speed conversion, posi install, finish interior swap from green to black...dash area is done already.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 18, 9:33 AM
Senior Tech Team
billy

Garage

ive been grounded since early june due to my health taking a unexpected turn ! good news being stuck at home i have been able to finally install the new headliner , restore the sunvisors and detailed out the interior , restored the trunk ! now preparing for the new carpet , rubber weather stripping and dash pad ! its been a very slow process but i am thankful i am able to get some of the these things checked off my long over due list ! also possibly preparing for my next car project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 702 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.