Team Chevelle banner

"Wrong" cars in movies

3K views 32 replies 23 participants last post by  1966Chev 
#1 ·
Recently I was watching the movie "The sun also rises" which is a Hemingway story about life in Paris in 1922. There is a scene in which a couple is taking a cab ride and the camera is shooting from front to rear, which also looks out the rear window of the cab. The problem is all the cars following that cab of 1922 are American cars of the 1950's. Got a good laugh out of that. (The movie was made in 1957.)

Have you got other examples?

#2 ·
I seem to remember in the background a 1972 Cadillac in The Godfather when the scene was supposed to be in the late 1940s.

In the 1973 movie "The Seven Ups" during the chase scene between the '73 Grand Ville & the '73 Ventura it was the wrong sound emanating from the Ventura. It sounded hot and he kept it revving & shifting gears, but the car had a smogger 350 with a hydramatic. It would have been more realistic to flip the lid & hear it wail when the throttle was mashed. I mean the 1973 Pontiac 350s were all 2-barrels.

Why to they always seem to dub the sounds of a wailing musclecar when all that is happening is a smogged motor is being driven sedately? I mean 4000 rpm & climbing while driving with traffic. Oh, and then there is always the sound of burning rubber while on dirt. Producers must think we are all stupid.

#7 ·
In the 1973 movie "The Seven Ups" during the chase scene between the '73 Grand Ville & the '73 Ventura it was the wrong sound emanating from the Ventura. It sounded hot and he kept it revving & shifting gears, but the car had a smogger 350 with a hydramatic. It would have been more realistic to flip the lid & hear it wail when the throttle was mashed. I mean the 1973 Pontiac 350s were all 2-barrels.

I forgot all about that movie. That's on tough sounding Indian.

#3 ·
Am I the only one that thought Steve McQueen’s Mustang sounded
odd in the Bullett chase sequence ??

In the Cool Hand Luke movie, the inmates were working along a road....
There was a Farmall tractor in the background with a John Deere
"putt-putt" soundtrack.....

In movies that involve vehicles or farming, accuracy seems to be
unimportant, or the makers are just ignorant....

#6 ·
In Vanishing Point for the final crash scene where he crashed into the bulldozer the Cuda he was driving suddenly became a Camaro.

#12 ·
Just looked at that Cuda yesterday at the Floyd Garrett muscle car museum... Cool to see it 1st hand, but disappointed in the museum. It was dark, couldn't get close to the cars, hoods were closed, layout was bad and didn't have hardly any info on the cars.... Most just had a sheet of paper with year and model.

#9 ·
Recalling the crash scene at the end of American Graffiti where Harrison Ford's tunnel rammed, 4-speed, '55 Chevy rolled over in a farm field. As the car began to roll it all of a sudden became a different '55, one with cheesy silver painted wheels and a powerglide transmission plainly visible.

Reactions: shovelrick
#22 ·
At one time there was an article in Hot Rod Mag that referred to this.
There were 2 separate cars, and you can also see a single exhaust on the crash sequence car.
The article stated that the main car had a 427 BBC.

#11 ·
In the Cary Grant movie "North by Nothwest", when the Grant character is shot and wounded in the cafe at Mount Rushmore, he is loaded into the back of a '56 Chevy windowed sedan delivery (one rear door hinged at the top). A VERY rare car in it's own right. A few minutes later, he is taken out of a '56 Chevy 150 2-door wagon (rear liftgate and tailgate). Both cars are the same color, have the same lettering and red lights, but are different body styles.

I've watched that movie many times, and pay particular attention when that scene comes up....:)

#14 ·
:)....Yup

Wife says it's one of the first Transformer movies, where the Challenger transforms into a Camaro in the final scene.....:D

#17 ·
Pretty much every period set movie has things wrong with the cars.

There was a really bad made-for-TV miniseries on Bonnie & Clyde I saw that used a Shay replica Model A Ford roadster for a LOT of interior shots, showing the 80s era steering column and wheel, along with an AM/FM cassette player.

In "Walk the Line" when Johnny Cash walks out of the recording studio in 1955, the '55 Ford across the street has Torq-Thrust II wheels on it.

#18 ·
Some of my pet peeves with movies is how period pieces typically have only showroom fresh cars on the streets, as if they use restored cars from local car clubs.

Another is when there's a head on shot of someone driving a car, with steering wheel moving, superimposed street scene rolling by in side and back windows, and the column shifter is left in the "Park" position.

#19 ·
Near the end of " Shawshank Redemption" as Andy is driving down the road the voice of Morgan Freeman says " in the summer of 1966 Andy Duran escaped from Shawshank Prision" . They then show a shot of Andy driving a 69 GTO.

#20 ·
Near the end of " Shawshank Redemption" as Andy is driving down the road the voice of Morgan Freeman says " in the summer of 1966 Andy Dufresne escaped from Shawshank Prision" . They then show a shot of Andy driving a 69 GTO.

#21 ·
57 Chevy convertible in the James Bond movie Dr No.

On the interior shots they were showing a Ford style speedometer / dashboard. :clonk:

#23 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.