Ford Question - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 18, 2:53 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Bob

Ford Question

Does anyone have an opinion relating to the Ford 3.5 V6 verses the 2.3 I4? Age and medical is forcing us to climb out of our Tahoe and Z71 Silverado and into something closer to the ground like an Explorer. No bashing please. I see the I4 needs premium fuel and does not offer increased mileage. It looks like the Explorer is better equipped than a comparable Cadillac at around the same price. Chevy and Buick also don't offer some of the same features.

TIA

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 SS (naw you don't want to see it yet)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 18, 3:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Re: Ford Question

I rented a 2016 Expedition with the 3.5 Ecoboost for a long road trip with my family year before last. Atlanta to New Hampshire. It was great. Very smooth, quiet and powerful. I would recommend it based on my experience.

Mike

69 Chevelle 496/TH400
ET/Speed - 11.371 @ 117.23 - SOLD JUNE 2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1965 Chevy Impala 355/TH350 - NEW RIDE JUNE 2017

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 18, 3:09 PM

Our daughter bought a new 2017 Explorer last year, with 3.5 V6. I'm impressed with the total package.
Why not buy a new Tahoe and have it lowered? That's another option.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 18, 3:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Have you looked at any Jeeps. We have a 2016 Grand Cherokee Limited that is one of the nicest SUVs we ever owned. The Cherokee is a little smaller and you can still get a V-6 in them.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 18, 6:00 PM
Team Member
Chris

I don't think you "need" premium with the 2.3. They might recommend it (for max power and mpg), but recommended is not the same as required.

I have the 2.0 turbo in my focus ST, and the manual recommends premium to get the full 252 hp. It also specifically states when using regular, you only get 243 hp. I'm fine with the 9 hp drop, to save 60 cents a gallon. The butt dyno can't tell the difference anyway.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 18, 7:09 PM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

I'll never buy a Ford but no whatever the brand I'd choose a V6 over a 4 cyl any day. I hate 4 bangers since they're inherently imbalanced, noisy and vibrate. IMO V6's are much smoother and quieter. A recent Car and Driver article compared a 4cyl turbo Mustang to a similar V6 Mustang and even though the the 4 cyl had more torque, the V6 out accelerated it because the 4 cyl peak torque was in a narrow range and the V6 had a wider torque band.
gspan1830 likes this.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 18, 7:14 PM
Senior Tech Team

Garage

^ this guy gets it. oh yeah, just lower your current taHOE and sliveradooo and call it a day. spend the savings on beer.
Hotwire likes this.

'69 Malibu
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 18, 8:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

You thought about a Traverse? Scaled down Tahoe and runs like a scalded dog. V-6 high HP version.
LeoP and Saltherring like this.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 18, 8:41 PM
Team Member

Been a GM fan for 50 years never bought anything else until a 2012 Explorer 6 cyl in 2014. I wanted 4 wheel drive capability in an suv and GM couldnt provide it. Did not want a pickup. No real issues, and fun to drive. still have it.

But then purchased a new Escape for the better half this year. 4 cyl, great on gas, and a real comfortable drive. NOT noisy, and just completed our first little tour of 2000 km's. More then enough pep at takeoff, and ticks along the highway at 120 kms and just over 2000 rpm's. A tank and a half (if that) of gas. Love it !
no regrets on that one.
fr8dog likes this.

Dunc

'You are what you are and you aint what you aint' - John Prine
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 18, 8:49 PM
Tech Team
autumngold

you cant go wrong with a v6 mitsubishi outlander.It will last longer than most hence the 10 year warranty.
fr8dog likes this.

1970 ls-5 numbers matching
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 18, 8:55 PM
Team Member

Sorry
I should have noted i have the 3.5 v6 in the Explorer. lots of power on reg gas.

Dunc

'You are what you are and you aint what you aint' - John Prine
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 18, 8:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFmTyler View Post
Does anyone have an opinion relating to the Ford 3.5 V6 verses the 2.3 I4? Age and medical is forcing us to climb out of our Tahoe and Z71 Silverado and into something closer to the ground like an Explorer. No bashing please. I see the I4 needs premium fuel and does not offer increased mileage. It looks like the Explorer is better equipped than a comparable Cadillac at around the same price. Chevy and Buick also don't offer some of the same features.

TIA
If you do not already have them, Step Bars(of your choice)really make getting in and out a lot easier. Also driver side grab handle (Factory) may be available, or you can get something from the aftermarket. Why go in debt for something that can be pretty easily resolved. As always, just my .02.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 18, 10:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcrose View Post
you cant go wrong with a v6 mitsubishi outlander.It will last longer than most hence the 10 year warranty.
I can attest to that statement. We bought an 07 Outlander XLS loaded with every option. Back in 07 this suv was ahead of the curve. Best car weve ever owned. Outside of normal maintenance, and one warranty issue where they replaced the entire driveshaft, its been trouble free with nearly 120k miles on it.

Jeff

64 El Camino Pro street, 496, T-400, 9" 3.73

Video:
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 18, 10:53 PM
Senior Tech Team

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I bought my wife a 2011 Toyota Sienna mini van just before we moved to Florida. I kick myself for my previous bias against mini vans. This thing's super nice and it gets great gas mileage. Something to consider.

A man with an experience will never be at the mercy of a man with an argument.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 18, 11:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

We have a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan and have been everywhere with it, it has the 3.8,6 spd trans and is loaded except leather and sunroof, good gas mileage and good power for whatever we put it through.
My son and daughter have a 2014 Explorer, Platinum Edition, 3.5, good power, runs smooth and rides very nice. 2WD.. Good luck!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 748 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.