restoring odd ball cars - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old May 17th, 18, 5:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Re: restoring odd ball cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris27 View Post
My 1st car was a 1971 Cutlass 'S'. Not exactly a hot rod with its 350 2bbl and 2.56 gears. I'd probably still have that car if it hadn't got wrecked. I was turning left off a secondary highway and a guy in a truck apparently didn't see me and rear ended the car hard. Pushed the trunk into the back seat and there was a 1" gap between the top of the door glass and the roof after the crash. Somehow didn't get hurt in that one.
I still love the styling of those cars they are much cheaper to buy than a Chevelle. If all you want is a cruiser, you can't go wrong with a BOP A body. If you want to make it fast, that's a different story.
Chris, I liked the 71 Cutlass, too..........back in 71. The 72's had just come out, and I was trying to upsize from a 68 Mustang. I was negotiating on a holdover, a car that was technically a year old new car now that the 72's were out. I had gone back and forth with the salesman, and finally gave him my final offer. No go.
Two nights later, he called to accept my final offer. I told him I had just gotten home with my 72 Roadrunner. He wasn't happy.
71350SS and Chris27 like this.

66 Malibu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old May 17th, 18, 7:27 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
I guess a skylark is about as bad as a el camino. neat cars to see others spend their money on, but not something most would spend their own money on. If it was a chevelle I'm sure it would have sold quickly for more money. Some do restore cars out of appreciation of what the car is. Not what can be made on it. jim
Strangely enough, I've never had a problem selling an El Camino. Call me weird but I've never owned a Chevelle. I like them but have no desire to own one.

Probably the only oddball car I've ever built, was a 1953 Stude. My brother and I swapped the 383 engine, Torqueflite trans, and 3.23 rear w/SureGrip out of a low-mile 1968 Roadrunner into the Stude, over a Summer back in 1970. That car was a serious sleeper and I blew off a lot of iron, before folks got wise to it. Often wonder where that thing ended up as it was well-built.

Clint Hooper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old May 18th, 18, 3:00 PM
Team Member
John

Garage

I'm all about oddball cars, I enjoy having something that everyone else doesn't have. Here is my advice:

1. Research parts availability
2. Research resale values
3. Buy the best, most complete car available.
4. Most importantly, have fun! , and I believe if you do the above, you will have fun!
Cam likes this.

70 El Camino SS 396/TH400
67 Cutlass Supreme convert LS3/4LE85
65 GTO convert Tri Power 4 speed
65 Corvair Corsa Crown Conversion (Mid engine 350)
05 Silverado 2500 Duramax/Allison
06 GTO 6 speed
11 Honda Accord 6 speed coupe
14 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited
post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old May 18th, 18, 4:16 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
Try restoring one of these:
AMC was always the underdog, but the Javelin & AMX, plus a few selected Ambassadors, Rebels & Matadors were actually pretty cool. Rebel Machines were a bit over the top, but that is just what the Doctor ordered. I always thought that AMC did a nice job on '67 Ambassador convertibles & the last Marlins, yet buyers stayed away in droves.
Dad used to say that the only people that bought AMCs were professors & retired folks. Based on observations at the time he may have been mostly right (as usual). Except for Shirley Shahan, Wally Booth & Mark Donahue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
or one of these:
That '63 Fury looks like it has a 426 wedge. Is it a 413 though? Or a well disguised 440?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70RAIII View Post
My oddballs..

'67 is a 4 speed..
Ah, Pontiac! I love many of them. The Grand Prix was art in motion from 1962-72 (68s excepted as they looked like trussed turkeys). I have a special love for the unique Canadian Pontiacs as they are all oddballs according to Pontiac fans and restoration supply places. I love the Canadian Grande Parisiennes & 2+2s. I can never bring myself to actually call a Beaumont a Pontiac. That argument will never be resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterwivell View Post
Remember the "Dare to be different" movement in the late 80's/early 90's? I do...

First, did a 1962 Dodge Custom 880 2 door hardtop,, one of 1761 built. Was Dodge's version of the Chrysler 330. Mine, ,440, 727, 3:23 posi, A/C. Ps, Power disc brakes. Lost my butt on that car.

Then,

1956 Studebaker President Pinehurst 2 door wagon, one of 1522 built. 350/700R4/3:55 8 inch, Mustang II, Vintage Air, power windows, tilt, great road car.....sold it to someone who had to have it more than me.

I think I'll stay mainstream with Chevy's from now on............
That Stude sounds really cool! Those Dodge 880s weren't sold in Canada. Chrysler was kinda funny in Canada back then, they sold the mid-size Polara through '64 but never the 880, then in '65 they dropped the mid-size Coronet from the Canadian lineup and started selling the Big Polaras & Monacos, then in '66 they sold the whole range. Still some years they sold the Valiant, then both the Dart & Valiant both sold as Valiants. Simultaneously! Mopar had some extremely quirky styling back then courtesy of Virgil Exner. Dare to be different indeed!

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old May 18th, 18, 6:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post

That '63 Fury looks like it has a 426 wedge. Is it a 413 though? Or a well disguised 440?

Well disguised 440, it was still running the push button torqueflite.
Cam likes this.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 18, 12:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

All, and I mean all odd ball cars have a home these days. It is called the Hot Rod Power Tour. We have "long hauled" ten years in a row now & seen everything you could imagine. And lots of things that you never could imagine. Including most of what has been already named here. Now as far as getting your money back..............

When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe. - Thomas Jefferson

ABO!
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 18, 2:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Krister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToocoolZ28 View Post
. Chevelles are so much easier.
My Dad has Nash's and Packard's, so my brother bought a '51 Packard and my sister a '29 Nash. Years ago we were at a National Nash show and being an hour away my sister was going to drive their car to the show. They had on going fuel pump, carb, fuel tank issues and were unable to show it. I told them sorry it didn't workout for them and my Brother-in-Law became unglued and went off saying "we'll I just can't open a catalog and order parts like you can do". I said nothing, but appreciate the amount of resources we have for our cars.

Krister
'66 SS, L34, 4spd (M21), 3.73 posi, #'s Matching, G 5C
- like I would have ordered, but I was 2

post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 18, 2:56 PM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
That curved body crease that sweeps the side of the '68 just obliterates the look of the car.
This^ and the skirted rear wheel openings also... works on some cars, but not a 68-69 Skylark

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's

-
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 18, 7:07 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by L79Fan View Post
All, and I mean all odd ball cars have a home these days. It is called the Hot Rod Power Tour. We have "long hauled" ten years in a row now & seen everything you could imagine. And lots of things that you never could imagine. Including most of what has been already named here. Now as far as getting your money back..............
Amen.
Most old cars are oddballs if you think about it. Outside of the standard catalog car, that is.
There really aren't that many cars you can find every part for in a catalog outside of the usual suspects, Tri-fives, Chevelle, early Camaro, 65-70 Mustang etc.
Even the some of the big dollar Mopars still don't have a lot of repro stuff available.

Oddballs are easier (and probably more "in") than ever with ebay, FB and other online sources.
Besides, with the rat (rods and muscle) and traditional hot rod movement and Roadkill-ish builds, there are fewer people restoring cars to OEM now.

There's a lot of "just get it running and drive the heck out if it" going on now.
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 18, 12:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcaptain S3 View Post
Amen.
Most old cars are oddballs if you think about it. Outside of the standard catalog car, that is.
There really aren't that many cars you can find every part for in a catalog outside of the usual suspects, Tri-fives, Chevelle, early Camaro, 65-70 Mustang etc.
Even the some of the big dollar Mopars still don't have a lot of repro stuff available.

Oddballs are easier (and probably more "in") than ever with ebay, FB and other online sources.
Besides, with the rat (rods and muscle) and traditional hot rod movement and Roadkill-ish builds, there are fewer people restoring cars to OEM now.

There's a lot of "just get it running and drive the heck out if it" going on now.
The latest trend is definitely towards getting the most complete car that you can & doing exactly that with it. Every now & then I will come across a complete (just parked that way years ago) interesting car & I have to slap myself a few times to emphasize the NO!!! in the back of my mind.
Roadcaptain S3 likes this.

When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe. - Thomas Jefferson

ABO!
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 18, 2:34 AM
Tech Team
rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcaptain S3 View Post
Amen.
Even the some of the big dollar Mopars still don't have a lot of repro stuff available....
recently started a frame off 72 Dodge D100 stepside. talk about NO support. No OEM stuff and very little repro. I've had to buy 3 additional parts trucks. luckily no one wants these trucks so with 4 trucks, I'm in $3000 with that alone. I'll be fab-ing most of the dash/interior and HVAC. All in the name of fun...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180625_152101.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	570826  

67 Chevelle (current project)
72 D100 stepside (current side project)
73 D100 styleside (current side, side project)
65 el camino (sold)
95 GSXR750 (OEM restoration)
post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 18, 8:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

there's a 63 comet for sale in sierra vista for 1300 obo, looks complete minus some trim. Almost tempted to call on it just because it's different. jim
Roadcaptain S3 likes this.

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 18, 9:55 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by reek View Post
recently started a frame off 72 Dodge D100 stepside. talk about NO support. No OEM stuff and very little repro. I've had to buy 3 additional parts trucks. luckily no one wants these trucks so with 4 trucks, I'm in $3000 with that alone. I'll be fab-ing most of the dash/interior and HVAC. All in the name of fun...
Pics?
Have you seen the Roadkill "Mopar Muscle Truck"?

http://www.roadkill.com/wp-content/u...hevy-Dodge.jpg
post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 18, 10:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

`With a little imagination and work they can look pretty cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1969-buick-skylark-gsstage-1-tribute-big-block-air-ride-restored-pro-touring-4.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	570874   Click image for larger version

Name:	68skylark_left.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	570876  
Roadcaptain S3 and reek like this.
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 18, 4:12 PM
Tech Team
rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
`With a little imagination and work they can look pretty cool.
call me odd but I actually liked the rear wheel skirts that were on some of these cars.

67 Chevelle (current project)
72 D100 stepside (current side project)
73 D100 styleside (current side, side project)
65 el camino (sold)
95 GSXR750 (OEM restoration)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 573 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.