restoring odd ball cars - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old May 16th, 18, 1:42 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage
Re: restoring odd ball cars

I've seen some oddball cars that were restored and modified to be realworks of art. That's what's nice about some of these cars they're not the everyday car someone would do over but done right they really stand out.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old May 16th, 18, 10:20 AM
Gold Founding Member
Ron

Yeah oddball cars can be difficult. I have been working on a 67 Vista Cruiser, I thought it would be just like a Chevelle since it is a GM "A" body, well not so much. Parts just aren't available. Parts suppliers are hard to find, parts are hard to find, if it wasn't for the Classic Oldsmobile forum I wouldn't have found half the parts I needed. Chevelles are so much easier.

70 Chevelle SS396 (496) Straub roller, 700r4
69 Malibu convertible (sold)
95 Z28 Convertible T56 6 speed
TC #54 Gold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old May 16th, 18, 10:23 AM
Senior Tech Team

x2 Skylark has never been a sought after car, you only buy it if you love it and buy it right.
Same with Caminos people love or hate them but will never drop a lot of money for one. Its not an SS Chevelle, Camaro, BB vette. get in that 20k range theres LOTS of nice stuff out there to settle for something not so popular.

CL is a horrible place to sell an expensive car. Bottom dwellers with no money at all.

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old May 16th, 18, 11:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Not a fan of the 68 Skylark or GS
69 much better IMHO and experience. $15K for a clean 68 drop top is about right.

Try restoring a 67 Toronado, this was mine a few years back..these cars are a goof. Not easy to find parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toro2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	554417   Click image for larger version

Name:	toro1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	554425  

post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old May 16th, 18, 11:46 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

I've been down the road of oddballs, most recently with a Chrysler Crossfire. I had no issues with it (really was a great car), but if I did, you are likely in for some fun since it is %100 mechanically a first gen Mercedes SLK without retractable roof no matter what numbers Daimler Chrysler says. And it is %100 german assembled. BUT most Chrysler garages forget how to service, and most Mercedes refuse to, so if you have an electrical problem that needs actual dealership equipment, you may be in for some fun.

Back until 10 years ago I was on a Turbo Dodge kick, and had a Dodge Rampage fully converted to Shelby Charger Turbo. Once the 80s stuff started disappearing from junkyards, and then the cash for clunkers hit, other then mechanical drivetrain/suspension parts, you were on your own. Nobody will ever make reproduction parts for those oddballs, heck talk about rare, 3 years only, (1 year for Plymouth Scamp version) and only 30,000-40,000 total built all years combined. Tons of room for 2, and decent payload, mainly since they were so light to begin with. Then I got rear-ended in it, and just sold everything I had, 2 Rampages, and another whole Shelby Charger Turbo worth of parts. I didn't want anything I couldn't get cheap parts for.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old May 16th, 18, 12:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Remember the "Dare to be different" movement in the late 80's/early 90's? I do...

First, did a 1962 Dodge Custom 880 2 door hardtop,, one of 1761 built. Was Dodge's version of the Chrysler 330. Mine, ,440, 727, 3:23 posi, A/C. Ps, Power disc brakes. Lost my butt on that car.

Then,

1956 Studebaker President Pinehurst 2 door wagon, one of 1522 built. 350/700R4/3:55 8 inch, Mustang II, Vintage Air, power windows, tilt, great road car.....sold it to someone who had to have it more than me.

I think I'll stay mainstream with Chevy's from now on............
Pioneer4x4 likes this.

66 Malibu

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old May 16th, 18, 2:03 PM
Tech Team
rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
as a person that seems to always have a el camino in the stable (sold my 68 last year, now i have a 66) I can make fun of myself as a el camino owner. of the 64-72 model years, I've had every year but the 65 and 69. Believe me, trying to find a buyer for a el camino is a lot harder than the same year chevelle. But i personally love el caminos so i dont mind fixing them up for myself, even though I'm trying to sell my 66 with no luck. jim
I can tell you from personal experience, I can not sell my 65 el camino with a 383 stroker despite it being pretty much mechanically brand new and un-driven after the restore. It still needs an interior so may be that's the main issue but I still have trouble accepting $6000 as my highest offer.

as for odd ball money pit, my next project is a 1972 Dodge D100 stepside. Grew up with the same truck so it means something to me. but I'll likely be into it well over $20,000 by the time I'm done, just so that I can get $5000 max if I ever sell it. oddly, I still feel it's so worth it.

67 Chevelle (current project)
72 D100 stepside (current side project)
73 D100 styleside (current side, side project)
65 el camino (sold)
95 GSXR750 (OEM restoration)
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old May 17th, 18, 8:10 AM
Tech Team
Mike

68/69 are about the same car, same body lines, few minor differences. I believe the GS came with the 400 in either year? We did a 69 GS clone back in the late 80's, and had to buy all performance stuff from POSTON enterprises? The only headers available for that buick 350 where chromed of all things! But, with a good intake, decent cam, carb, and headers, that little 350 sure woke up and ran strong! I like them, because you don't see many of them. The 70-72's are catching on pretty big these days, it's just a matter of time before those catch on as well.
mr 4 speed likes this.
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old May 17th, 18, 9:27 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

I like cars that are different, and I especially like the Buick/Olds/Pontiac 64-72 A-body cars. If I ever own another A-body, it will likely be a BOP variant. If I can get a similar driving experience for a fraction of the cost of buying a Chevy, that's a win from my perspective.

A couple of comments above suggest that the buyer "over paid" for the Skylark. Well, what would he have paid for a Chevelle rag top in similar condition? Twice that much? Looks like the guy has a sweet ride at a 50% discount to me.
mr 4 speed likes this.

Mike

69 Chevelle 496/TH400
ET/Speed - 11.371 @ 117.23 - SOLD JUNE 2017

1965 Chevy Impala 355/TH350 - NEW RIDE JUNE 2017

post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old May 17th, 18, 11:27 AM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
it's a good thing people restore stuff out of love for the car, not for the money.
Went to pick up some parts last weekend and in the guys garage is a nice 68 skylark convertable. it's a older body on restoration 22k on the motor, like new top really nice bench seat interior stock radio etc. paint isn't perfect, few little road chips but a solid convertable.
guy was at a car show with his vette, someone offered him enough for the vette, he sold it on the spot. While checking out the rest of the show his wife fell in love with the convertable. Since its not a chevelle or a gran sport he got it 4 years ago for 19k. Now it's time to move onto his new car he's letting the convertable go for 15k.
It's one of those cars you couldn't build on for that money yet he said he tried Craigslist in Phoenix and hadn't gotten a single call.
I guess a skylark is about as bad as a el camino. neat cars to see others spend their money on, but not something most would spend their own money on. If it was a chevelle I'm sure it would have sold quickly for more money. Some do restore cars out of appreciation of what the car is. Not what can be made on it. jim
I got $10k for my GS400 two years ago after trying to sell it for almost two years. It was nicely redone with original interior and numbers matching, all the docs including the window sticker and original bill of sale. IT wasn't a highly desirable model, with highway gears and a 3 speed auto, but still, that was all I could get for it.

I only paid $5300 for it though, which was a STEAL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old May 17th, 18, 11:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Try restoring one of these:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	amx.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	554745  
RAMBO, 71350SS and Diabel1969 like this.

post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old May 17th, 18, 11:38 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

or one of these:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	picture_php_pictureid_11348_0b7f0dc02ae44dfb0bedb5cc5045c523d8eff2e0.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	554761   Click image for larger version

Name:	picture_php_pictureid_11351_6d83bf24921e3e86f24f2d0d0ae43df29d87edff.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	554769   Click image for larger version

Name:	picture_php_pictureid_11349_26a047ba5a7c9051404fd9dac3a79b2e7073fb2e.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	554777  
mr 4 speed, RAMBO, 71350SS and 3 others like this.

You're just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old May 17th, 18, 11:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
Try restoring one of these:
I really like the 68-70 AMX's and Javelins. Don't know what it is but i really dig them. They are not really common over on this coast... every time I've been between cars they have been high on my list of possibilities, but they just are never available.

Ben R.

-

post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old May 17th, 18, 12:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Joe

Garage

My oddballs..

'67 is a 4 speed..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2710.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	554793   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016 (1).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	554809  
mr 4 speed, Georgia69 and GSMCGSMC like this.

'67 ElCamino - Pro touring
and a few Pontiacs..
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old May 17th, 18, 3:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

My 1st car was a 1971 Cutlass 'S'. Not exactly a hot rod with its 350 2bbl and 2.56 gears. I'd probably still have that car if it hadn't got wrecked. I was turning left off a secondary highway and a guy in a truck apparently didn't see me and rear ended the car hard. Pushed the trunk into the back seat and there was a 1" gap between the top of the door glass and the roof after the crash. Somehow didn't get hurt in that one.
I still love the styling of those cars they are much cheaper to buy than a Chevelle. If all you want is a cruiser, you can't go wrong with a BOP A body. If you want to make it fast, that's a different story.
mr 4 speed likes this.

1969 Beaumont

1977 Bronco

The rest are boring responsible adult vehicles not worth mentioning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 614 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.