Mystery Cars - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 18, 9:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dwayne

Mystery Cars

Back in the day we would always hang out and cruise/race at the same place in our city. Every so often, there would be a mystery car and driver no one had ever seen before. The memorable cars were always ridiculous, like a Gremlin that came through and cleaned everybody's clock! Head scratch...? What the heck just happened......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 18, 9:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: Mystery Cars

Looked like this??

Auto Upholstery Trimmer since 1977
Palo Alto Upholstery 650 326 6414
1967 Chevelle Super Sport 4sp.
1953 Chevy Bel Air 4 door.
1957 Chevy Bel Air 2 dr Hard Top.
1968 Chevy C20 CST Longbed.
1967 Malibu 396 Powerglide.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 18, 10:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Was it a little Nash Rambler ?

Beep Beep ! his horn it went beep beep

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 18, 12:46 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintbreath View Post
Back in the day we would always hang out and cruise/race at the same place in our city. Every so often, there would be a mystery car and driver no one had ever seen before. The memorable cars were always ridiculous, like a Gremlin that came through and cleaned everybody's clock! Head scratch...? What the heck just happened......
Where?

Seen it happen a few times... I wasn't a consistent "regular" but there were a few memorable races I remember...
Paintbreath likes this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 18, 2:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 18, 3:06 AM
Tech Team
John

Back in the early '90s, people in the know knew where to find some nighttime street action in north Phoenix. A couple of buddies and I would go watch and just wander through the crowd when a plain white '68 - '72 Nova rolled up, but parked on the opposite side of the street and nobody got out of it. It just sat there for about a good hour, watching we guessed. There was a good dozen runs that went by, when the Nova fired up, slowwwwly pulled out in the road and lit the tires through all 4 gears and went out of sight.
Crowd went quiet and kinda stunned-like.. what was that?
Never saw that Nova again.
Was cool though.
Oldcarsnbikes and Saltherring like this.

First car was a 1969 El Camino. .....I miss it, great car.

Currently: 1967 Royal Plum Camaro
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 18, 7:33 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Closest thing to an odd car that I knew of in the Monroeville are was some guy with a ratty Pinto (this was early 80s) that would show up in parking lots where people were just hanging out. He had a line lock and would sit in place doing a burnout for minutes until a tire would blow, then everyone would point and laugh.
UNTIL, he would open the hatch, mount a spare, THEN DO IT AGAIN! Mount another spare, then drive off without a word...
He was older back then, I never knew any more details about the guy.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 18, 9:13 AM
Tech Team
Red

Back in the late 70's when Canada was phasing out leaded gas the last place you could buy leaded premium was Chevron. I was there putting gas in my 69 Chevelle and the next island over was a neon pink VW wagon with dark tinted back windows filling up with premium. A guy a few pumps away was filling up his mid 70's low HP Vette. The Vette guy says to the VW guy, "I'll bet that's really fast to have to run premium". The guy in the VW says, "I would waste my time with you", and proceeds to open the back hatch to reveal a hemi Mopar in the back. After I picked my jaw up off the ground I went in a paid for my gas. Never did see that VW around again but it sure would have been interesting to see how it ran.
Arch Stanton likes this.

Sometimes a man's got to do what a woman would never consider.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 18, 11:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Redneck View Post
Back in the late 70's when Canada was phasing out leaded gas the last place you could buy leaded premium was Chevron. I was there putting gas in my 69 Chevelle and the next island over was a neon pink VW wagon with dark tinted back windows filling up with premium. A guy a few pumps away was filling up his mid 70's low HP Vette. The Vette guy says to the VW guy, "I'll bet that's really fast to have to run premium". The guy in the VW says, "I would waste my time with you", and proceeds to open the back hatch to reveal a hemi Mopar in the back. After I picked my jaw up off the ground I went in a paid for my gas. Never did see that VW around again but it sure would have been interesting to see how it ran.
Where is Hedley? Can't find it on any BC maps.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 18, 11:49 AM
Tech Team
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltherring View Post
Where is Hedley? Can't find it on any BC maps.
It's very small old time mining town about 25 miles east of Princeton, or 20 miles west of Keremeos. We're not that far from the Oroville Wash border or Penticton BC.
Saltherring likes this.

Sometimes a man's got to do what a woman would never consider.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 18, 12:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

I grew in the Bay Area, south of San Francisco... Used to go to Canada Rd, I remember a few times seeing this guy, Will, small-tire, small block powered early ChevyII... I remember he raced a early 70's Camaro, tubbed, Big Block (blown?)... That Nove just walked away from the Camaro... This was back in the late 1980's, I I recall hearing from good sources that the ChevyII was high-9's, low 10's car... The owner, Will, was an machinist/engine builder... Great calling card...

I later moved to Redding, and found the go to spot... I remember having an older guy in a quiet mid-70's full size station wagon that just thoroughly beat my '66 El Camino (13.1 ETs with skinny whitewall tires). After he beat me handily, he just kept driving, never came back, never saw him again...
Saltherring likes this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 18, 1:11 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
I grew in the Bay Area, south of San Francisco... Used to go to Canada Rd, I remember a few times seeing this guy, Will, small-tire, small block powered early ChevyII... I remember he raced a early 70's Camaro, tubbed, Big Block (blown?)... That Nove just walked away from the Camaro... This was back in the late 1980's, I I recall hearing from good sources that the ChevyII was high-9's, low 10's car... The owner, Will, was an machinist/engine builder... Great calling card...

I later moved to Redding, and found the go to spot... I remember having an older guy in a quiet mid-70's full size station wagon that just thoroughly beat my '66 El Camino (13.1 ETs with skinny whitewall tires). After he beat me handily, he just kept driving, never came back, never saw him again...
I think his car ran mid-10ís in the 80ís. Last time I saw him he had a back halved 62-65 Nova race car, Iíve only seen it in the run up to the two times Pinks All Out came to Sonoma, but not since.

Steve R
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 18, 2:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bryan

Used to go to a town north of where I lived to watch the street racing and the interesting cars that showed up.
Someone occasionally brought a 68 HEMI Charger.
That car was shaking the ground before you even saw it.

The prizewinner was some guy I only saw there once.
Souped up Ford 9000 Cabover
That semi (looked like the one in that Jan Michael Vincent movie) was eating everyone for dinner that night.
Never forget the sight of that thing blasting by with the victim car trying to catch up.

Bryan's toyz

59 ElCamino 454/TKO 5spd--(daddy)
66 ElCamino 3oh7/TKO 5spd (mousey) Almost done
On the street now!!!

65 Ranchero v8/4-spd, that my uncle bought new
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 18, 4:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dwayne

Santa Clara , Ca Wienerschnitzel on El Camino Real is where we would meet up. Then raced at various spots with a police scanner. That activity got really crazy after our very close , Fremont (Baylands ) Dragstrip was closed.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 18, 4:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dwayne

Cool Re: Mystery Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post

Where was Canada Rd ? Sounds familiar, we used to go out to Tasman by Great America, Whipple Rd, Auto Mall, Bailey Rd. and others I forgot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 737 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.