Us older guys who had fast cars in small towns - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

160Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 18, 10:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage
Re: Us older guys who had fast cars in small towns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72FourFiftyFour View Post
All I could hear was that freaking Mopar 440 going " BU_WAH"
My friend Steve spun out on a wet (sun-shaded) back road corner and totaled his (built) LT1-powered '69 Z/28 in 1972 while trying to ditch a State Patrolman that he had just top-ended on Hwy 3. I talked to that same cop at an auto parts store a couple of weeks later and he said a couple of things puzzled him about that night, one was what engine was Steve running in that Camaro, "as usually his 440 Mopar could run down small block cars like the Z/28 at speeds above 120MPH, but Steve's Camaro was still pulling away hard at 140." I didn't tell him why, as many of my friends were also running LT1 engines in their Camaros. The second question the cop had was, "Why did Steve turn down a dead end road?" I shrugged my shoulders on that one too, as only a few of us knew that road was not a dead ender, but you had to know which driveway to turn onto to get back out to the highway.

Such were the games we played...back in the day.
427L88, HKalin, davewho1 and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 18, 3:31 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Hahaha...... I am not alone...... btw that LT-1 was THE build of the era.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 18, 4:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ken

Not really from a small town but back in 68 I bought a 63 Impala SS Z11 car. I bugged the guy for 5 years to sell it and finally he did. I bought it for $6,000.00, he paid $4,000.00 for it new.

I never did look into any info on the car but knew it was Chevrolets race car answer to Fords. Only steel up front was radiator support, all else was aluminum. No fender wells, no carpet, no back seat, no radio, no heater. 427/450 motor with dual quads, 4 speed trans, tach and essential gauges, aluminum bumpers and that was it.

Found out way later that there was only 57 of these cars made and today there are only 7 left (mine aint one of them). Got pulled over by Detroit cops (actually passed them at 148mph and pulled over and waited for them). They asked why I was sitting in gas station parking lot....waitin for you. He looked and said.....what the hell is that.....Simpson racing harness.....never seen one of those and I'm really impressed.....long story short, because of the belts I only got a ticket for 5mph over.........WHEW !!
427L88, HKalin, MarkP and 4 others like this.

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN, YET THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE, SO ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.
post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 18, 12:01 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hayes View Post
Not really from a small town but back in 68 I bought a 63 Impala SS Z11 car. I bugged the guy for 5 years to sell it and finally he did. I bought it for $6,000.00, he paid $4,000.00 for it new.

I never did look into any info on the car but knew it was Chevrolets race car answer to Fords. Only steel up front was radiator support, all else was aluminum. No fender wells, no carpet, no back seat, no radio, no heater. 427/450 motor with dual quads, 4 speed trans, tach and essential gauges, aluminum bumpers and that was it.

Found out way later that there was only 57 of these cars made and today there are only 7 left (mine aint one of them). Got pulled over by Detroit cops (actually passed them at 148mph and pulled over and waited for them). They asked why I was sitting in gas station parking lot....waitin for you. He looked and said.....what the hell is that.....Simpson racing harness.....never seen one of those and I'm really impressed.....long story short, because of the belts I only got a ticket for 5mph over.........WHEW !!
That's a great story! Loved the Z11.....one of the best looking engines ever put in a car.
To have that car now, but then you couldn't drive it. You actually owned it at the best time - it was meant to be raced.
427L88 and HKalin like this.

1972 Monte Carlo 454 (W code), now with ZZ502.
TH400, 2000 stall, 3.31s
11.9 @ 114
post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 18, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Sure was fun to be the guy who had a fast car..that all knew..when you were someone..I guess we all just fade out..
It is a shame.. One day..I am going to take my Chevelle over to the group of young guys at the mall..and just slowly go by..non of them will prob not even know what car I am driving..in another time..I still would like to have a go at it one more time lol

TC #0672
1972 SS 454 M22
"W " Code Midnight Bronze
post #51 of 54 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 18, 2:48 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hayes View Post
... 63 Impala SS Z11...

Found out way later that there was only 57 of these cars made and today there are only 7 left (mine aint one of them)...
Would you care to share the back story of what happened to this car, Ken?
Saltherring likes this.

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #52 of 54 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 18, 6:41 AM
Gold Member
Gene

That could be painful
Saltherring likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #53 of 54 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 18, 11:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Verle

Red face Re: Us older guys who had fast cars in small towns

About 1964, a 55 Chevy hard top. Fuel injected 327, close ratio 4 speed, 4.88 positrac, traction bars, fender well headers. The Corvette valve covers were the secret to going fast in those days..

It was one of the faster cars on the street. There were others faster but we avoided racing each other most of the time.

Made the cruise loop, street races Friday and Saturday nights. If it was serious there was a location east of the big park north of town, about a mile long, straight, level, concrete with one intersection. We always stationed someone at the intersection to block cars from pulling out in front of a race.
We marked off a quarter mile so it was official !

.....on recap tires. All the money went into hard parts. Never had a tire problem. Wore them out before they developed any other trouble. Atlas Bucrons, the best tire for racing. Soft and sticky and wore out fast.

Sunday drag races at the airport. Had to get out of the way when planes wanted to land or take off.

Only outrun the police a couple of times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55 HT 1963 small.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	543633   Click image for larger version

Name:	55 HT engine 1964 2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	543641  
mr 4 speed, OLDED, MarkP and 1 others like this.

Verle
Tulsa, Ok
65 Chevelle L79 since Feb 1965

Last edited by Verle; Apr 11th, 18 at 11:28 AM.
post #54 of 54 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 18, 9:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
Kev

Not sure they were all fast cars or bikes, but the 1st was a 70 RS Camaro 4-speed. My last ticket in OH was on the Kawi. Sherrif asked if I wanted speeding, improper passing or no MC endorsement. I chose speeding. He came back and said this is your 21st birthday, and this is your 21st speeding ticket. I got my license at least a year late as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 818 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.