New (to me ) Truck - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 18, 1:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jeff

Garage
New (to me ) Truck

Hey all, Soliciting opinions about a possible new (to me) truck purchase.
Truck in question is a 2013 GMC Sierra. 4x4 65K miles, 5.3/ 6L80E
Just looking for Pro's and Cons from Experienced owners (Sierras or Silverados) and people who have worked on them.
Truck will be expected to tow car trailer (7000lbs max) Some hills not all flatland. occasionally.
Reviews good and bad. Thanks!

What you do today dictates how fast you go Tomorrow

Last edited by JFS65; Mar 23rd, 18 at 3:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 18, 1:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Re: New (to me ) Truck

Wow! I own a 2013 GMC 1500 Sierra SLE 4x4 Z71 5.3 6 spd auto.

I have 42k on it. Original tires. New battery a year ago. Old battery did not go bad, I don't mess with older battery's. I have to get to work. No problems at all. I have never towed anything with it. I did install a super chips. That really made it better for me. I purchased it new.
JFS65 likes this.

If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 18, 4:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

My neighbor has a 14 Silverado like that and has had issues including oil consumption, and his AC system went out. Not sure if 13's had same issues or not. He bought his new and the dealer did a consumption test and ended up rebuilding the engine from oil use. He has just over 50K miles on it. All covered under his warranty, but he pulls a small trailer for lawn maintenance and it was a major inconvenience. Still loves his Chevy though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 Sport Sedan (project)
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 18, 6:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage

Check the brake lines for corrosion. Not a problem in Southern California but in the states that salt the roads its been a headache for GM truck owners.
With that being said my 06 has been relatively problem free with only the Oil pump failing at 150,000 miles.

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 18, 12:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

02 1500HD Silverado here, bought it new to tow my 86 Monte SS, did fine, it does have the 6.0, 4l80E and 3.73 diff, 4X4. I did replace the brake lines and fuel lines/pump at about 118000 miles, the brake lines were corroded thru and the gas line was nearly as bad and had the original pump in it. It's a Crew Cab too!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 18, 8:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I have a 2010-1/2 ton X cab. 4-W-D, Silverado. ( I ordered it). It has a 14 bolt rear//6 speed P. Shift// along with the 6.2. ( Its the old style Heavy Half).
This truck has power out the A$$.
Pulls the Haulmark just wonderful. It aint that fast. I ran a 427/ 4 speed COPO at the drags and he beat 4-W-D truck by almost a fender. It shifts at 5900 with the A/C running.
This truck has more copper wire in it than Comcast Cable Co. I guess its like any computer powered piece of equipment, When all systems are operating, " Everything is Beautiful ". My fuel vapor solenoid went bad, It was an " Oh SH!T " moment. It has almost 53.000 on it.
Sure makes my LS-5 and my 468 feel like boat Anchors!
Bob
P.S. Aint nutten as pretty as Two Chrome valve covers and a Big Orange hunk of Iron sitting between the fenders of my two 70s.....

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 18, 8:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFS65 View Post
possible new truck purchase.
Truck in question is a 2013 GMC Sierra. 4x4 65K miles, 5.3/ 6L80E

Truck will be expected to tow car trailer (7000lbs max) Some hills not all flatland. occasionally.
I have the exact same truck, Z71 Silverado with tow package, 58,000 trouble-free miles. Ocassionally pull a 20' enclosed trailer or a 21' I/O boat. Handles both with ease, but I don't run it "balls to the wall" either. Oil/filter changes every 4,000 or so miles. I keep it clean and wash the underside and up inside the fenderwells often to slow down any rust problems, especially here on salt-covered MN roads.

Best truck I've ever owned.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 18, 4:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by augy View Post
I have the exact same truck, Z71 Silverado with tow package, 58,000 trouble-free miles. Ocassionally pull a 20' enclosed trailer or a 21' I/O boat. Handles both with ease, but I don't run it "balls to the wall" either. Oil/filter changes every 4,000 or so miles. I keep it clean and wash the underside and up inside the fenderwells often to slow down any rust problems, especially here on salt-covered MN roads.

Best truck I've ever owned.

Whats the best gas mileage one can expect from a truck with that set up?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 18, 4:15 PM
Senior Tech Team

02 1500 180k since new. Lifter tick can be quieted by using dino oi.

Use only Delco Sensors and high quality cats
They are a very durable motor all ive done is change tune up parts at 100k 1 intakae gasket sensors etc
Jump starting someone blew on 02 fuse took me 3k to figure out

Sometimes the water pump will appear to leak....just replace the gaskets youll be fine. Good motors I have to say
I drove mine to kill it the first 60k still has 42 psi hot but sure its a matter of time.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 18, 5:00 PM
T_R
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Rust is a huge problem on those trucks here. It's not uncommon for us to see them with rust holes in the bed, rockers or cab corners at 3 or 4 years old. Very common to see them with all the crossmembers rotted out of the frame as well. It's a little better in PA than here in Maine, but something to keep in mind for the future.

I like my old Chevelle, but my new truck is a Ford. Still looks new after 3 winters, Aluminum body sure is nice. Frame looks really good too still black everywhere.

Tom

66 Chevelle crew cab 454 FiTech TKO 600 5 speed
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 18, 8:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinls5 View Post
My fuel vapor solenoid went bad, It was an " Oh SH!T " moment.
Fuel vapor solenoid seems to be a common thing. I've changed two on my Silverado and one on the Cadillac. They tend to gum up and stick throwing a code.

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 18, 6:19 AM
Senior Tech Team
Joe

'13 Silverado has the 315hp 5.3L, that motor runs decent, it's pretty much the same drivetrain (except the having a 6 speed trans instead of the 4 speed trans) that was in my '02 Silverado and '05 Avalanche. 7,000# towing on flat roads it will be fine, 7,000# in the hills, it will be working hard. By comparison, I have a '13 2500HD, Ext Cab, 6.5 bed with the 6.0L (360hp) and HD 6L90 trans. Mechanical fan, HD cooling system, trans cooler, etc. 2500HD comes with either 3.73 or 4.10 gears, mine has 3.73's. It's a beast of a truck compared to the 1500. The other big thing between the 1500 and the 2500 (and the 5.3 vs the 6.0) is cylinder deactivation. 6.0 doesn't have it.

I towed up to about 5,000# with both the '02 and '05 that I had. I also had a '15 1500 4x4 that was a nice daily driver, towed up to about 3500-4000# with it, handled that fine. From my experience, I know what they say in the literature, but I wouldn't use a 1500 for anything more than Class III towing (5,000#). When you step to the 2500HD you get a true Class IV tow rating (10,000#), it's a big difference. At 7,000# you'll be using a load leveling hitch on the 1500.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 18, 6:47 AM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

My buddy has the 2012 and my son has the 2013 or 2014 I think 2013 both have 4 wheel drive and 6 speed auto and both act exactly the same as far as pulling power and MPG.

I have driven both with the same small bayliner behind them and with loaded beds and unloaded.
17-18 highway if you are really lucky empty.

11-12 if you are pulling something like my 2000 lb bayliner.. tried every gear looking for just a tick better MPG during towing and it just did not happen.
Plenty of umph to tow .. but up hill it will drastically drop power and start downshifting looking for some.

Plenty of weight to keep the ass end happy during towing and brakes are really good.
The MPG does not impress me. Nothing major as far as mechanical issues both have 65,000+ miles.

I think some of the MPG is ate up by the huge tire wheel packages.
I have tried heavy tire wheel packages on my older vehicles and MPG takes a big hit.

I will stick with my carbed 350's with 15" tire rim packages and trump the power and MPG of these New trucks with the 5.3. and I have got over 250,000 miles from those old 350's.

My son said that new truck is the worst thing he ever bought wished he never did it.
He based that on power MPG and cost of the vehicle.. his older stuff was cheaper had same or more power and same or better MPG.
Not as pretty though.

Get what you like.
In town my son said his truck gets 13 MPG.
I towed a Willys jeep from Oklahoma to Missouri in pouring rain and it was on a rented U-Haul trailer the truck just made me mad on every hill.. Just hated all the down shifting.
8 mpg on that trip.
Glad it was not my vehicle.. I will say though the bed on his truck has that hard cover on it and it is a 4 door and the windshield was up on the Jeep during the towing.
If that matters any to you.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 18, 9:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64tempestwagon View Post
Whats the best gas mileage one can expect from a truck with that set up?
I'm getting 18-19 mpg highway, empty bed, 55-65 mph. Above 70 mph, about 16 mpg.

Around 12-14 mpg pulling the boat. No more than 10 pulling the enclosed trailer with a car inside.

In Nov 2015 when we attended MCACN pulling the enclosed trailer, I got about 8 mpg with a 40-45 mph sidewind from the passenger side. Never got above 50 mph on the interstate and kept it out of OD. That was a long hard trip on a windy day with that PU, but it survived.....

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 18, 10:10 AM
Tech Team
Mike

I have a 2009 silverado vortec max with the aluminum 6.0. it's a 1500, with better towing capacity than most 1500's. It has the 6 speed transmission in it, but only has 3.42 gears. It's had no problems towing my 6000 lb boat around, or anything else i've towed with it. The DOD or cylinder deactivation works well, but I fully intend to pull that system out, and change a few things soon. I've had random evap codes that are very annoying, but so far that's about it. I use it for plowing and towing, and since it see's salt, I try my best to keep it clean at all times, including scraping the frame down and painting it every summer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 619 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.