A little fed up - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

 379Likes
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 113 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 3:07 PM
Super Mod
Rich
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Waverly, NE USA
Posts: 15,729
Garage
Re: A little fed up

I honestly don't see the restoration guys jumping on other people for modifying their cars. Opinions are opinions and sometimes the Thumper Principle could be employed more often, but restoration guys having a preference for restored or preserved cars is no different than modified guys having a preference for modified cars.

Just because someone expresses a preference different than your own doesn't necessarily mean they are being a jerk to you.

There is still more Chevelle and performance knowledge on this board than anywhere else I've seen.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich Cummings
Rich-L79 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 113 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 3:29 PM
Tech Team
Kurt
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Georgia
Posts: 486
Re: A little fed up

We old guys owned, and drove, these 1960s & 1970s Chevelles when they were new .....
Some of us cringe seeing an over-the-top restomod..... You have to
understand where weíre from ....

1966 Black/Red SS coupe .....
402 BBC
Holley Sniper EFI
Long tube headers
Tremec TKO 600
CPP 13/12 4 wheel disc brakes
Truetrac 3:73 Posi
Classic a/c
Dakota VHX gages
thebeast is offline  
post #48 of 113 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 4:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wethersfield Connecticut
Posts: 1,524
Garage
Re: A little fed up

Well, I have to say this really took off much more than I thought. Admittedly like the title states, I was a little fed up. However itís happened before, and Iím sure it will happen again. Thatís when I just need to take a break. It could be in part from stress in my life right now. Iím happy that a lot of people shared their opinions, and perhaps we brought a few of you out from behind the screen to share. At the very least we got the conversation started. Letís all do our part to make 2018 the best TC year it can be!

70 Chevelle, Vortecpro 496, TH400, Moser 12 bolt, custom Tom's Eaton posi, 3.73, UMI/Viking front suspension, PMT rear. Sniper efi, RobbMc PowerSurge.
70CHEVELLE396 is offline  
post #49 of 113 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 4:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 6,978
Garage
Re: A little fed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeast View Post
We old guys owned, and drove, these 1960s & 1970s Chevelles when they were new .....
Some of us cringe seeing an over-the-top restomod..... You have to
understand where weíre from ....
I totally agree. I drove them the way they were back then I'm sure I can drive them the same way today. My car I have today would fit right in with the way my cars were modified back then. I have to admit after driving new cars now as everyday cars you do miss some of the newer creature comforts in these old cars but I'll survive.
shovelrick and lucifershammer like this.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
HKalin is offline  
post #50 of 113 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 4:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: N.E.Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,024
Re: A little fed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats70ss View Post
I find this board to be more than helpful and has helped me multiple times with projects I was working on with the car. There are just certain topics that if you have a question there are guys on here that will know the answers and be willing to help. I personally text with Dave and think he is a great guy and hope he does not leave the forum. But I do hear what he is saying, sometimes people just need to read the thread and move on and save their comments.

One of my peeves is when you ask a question and get the response "search is your friend" I do generally search first but sometimes you cannot find anything or sometimes you just want to have some chat on the subject with the folks on the board.

All in all a great forum with tons on wisdom, always gonna be a few in the crowd.

If all you want is chat...use this link.. it takes you to the sites chat room...some of us still saved the link...
FlashChat v4.7.12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman View Post
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have backed away in the past year or year and a half for just this sort of reason. I have trouble reconciling the relentless quest for the correct position of "Wire A"...does it go over or under "Wire B" in the engine compartment. Who cares? Certainly some people do but I have better things to do with my time. I wanna know of "Wire C runs parallel or perpendicular to Wire D, that is what is keeping me up nights. LOL!!! Then we have some of the same guys who participate in such conversations talking about how "original L-88's" had tri-power.

Another all time fav of mine is the fiction about things like a RARE few 66 L-79 powered cars getting out of the factory because they had "left over" L-79's from 1965. Maybe a few did, I sure don't know, but if that fairy tale takes root there will be factory built L-79 powered 66 Chevelles parked on every street corner, displayed in every show and discussed add-nausium as to their rarity and VALUE.

I had a 66 Vette and participated in a Corvette board for a few years. It goes from the sublime to the ridiculous over there. Purposely doing a poor paint job on the lower doors because some cars came outta the Paint Dept. with dull paint on the lower door area! Then we have guys "clocking" the visible head bolts and the intake manifold bolts so that the points on the bolt heads are aligned the same!!!!! REALLY???? R-E-A-L-L-Y????!!!!! It think I will name all this sort of folly the "Corvette Enthusiast Syndrome"
Quote:
Originally Posted by agproelco View Post
I think there's plenty of room for other viewpoints. I don't have the attention span to be able to be one of the exact restoration guys, but I'm not going to knock them. Actually, props to them for being so diligent about tiny details and preserving history. And while I'd rather see survivor cars unmodified, I respect a person's right to do to their car whatever floats their boat. Part of the spirit of hot-rodding is individualizing your car, so if you want to convert your car to electric go for it. I may not be able to understand why in the world some people do what they do, but it would be really boring if everyone had the exact same vision for their cars.

The only thing that really gets under my skin are misrepresented/counterfeit cars. But with the $$$ involved, I understand why it happens. That kind of stuff should get called out, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifershammer View Post
I agree with everything you said, and the part in bold is great.

Where I draw the line is when the "purists" believe that is the one and only way things should ever be, and anyone else doing anything else should be burned at the stake, and they make sure to say so, loudly and violently attacking anyone who doesn't agree.

It's my car, I'll do what I want with it, thankyouverymuch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
I honestly don't see the restoration guys jumping on other people for modifying their cars. Opinions are opinions and sometimes the Thumper Principle could be employed more often, but restoration guys having a preference for restored or preserved cars is no different than modified guys having a preference for modified cars.

Just because someone expresses a preference different than your own doesn't necessarily mean they are being a jerk to you.

There is still more Chevelle and performance knowledge on this board than anywhere else I've seen.

I agree...and you get it.

Someone once explained this to me and since then...I have been feeling really good, I feel its good advice and people that I explain it too seem to accept it too....let me continue.


Some of you above state that you get fed up, angry, bothered etc...
It is not the other person that makes you angry. It is YOU that ALLOWS yourself to get that way. A person in control of their feelings shouldn't ever let themselves get annoyed. Each and every person is free to voice their opinion and express their right. If you are on the receiving end, it is YOU that determines how YOU feel about it.
I cannot make you happy. The smile on your face or the laughter that follows is something YOU controlled. I cannot make you sad. I cannot make you cry. The words I say that you hear cannot make you do anything...YOU allow my words to affect you in a good or bad way.
Next time the wife starts arguing and you get that annoyed feeling, think of what I am explaining and you will understand.
I read some things here all the time...but its never enough to not come back and enjoy good times with fellow peeps.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fishhead is offline  
post #51 of 113 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 5:06 PM
Senior Tech Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,099
Re: A little fed up

Here's part of the problem sometimes. Folks may consider it their "right" to voice an opinion, but that doesn't make it the right thing to do. If someone asks for an opinion, by all means, express yourself. Butting into a thread a to argue with someone or telling every one what you think on a subject without being asked is what often cause hard feelings.
If someone asks how to swap an overdrive into a PG car, and Guy A jumps in to tell you that they hate it when somebody does that or that 3 guys giving advice about how to do it are wrong, then Guy A is a meddling Jackass.
If someone wants details on restoring a Heavy Chevy, and Guy B jumps in to tell everyone that Heavy Chevy cars are ugly, boring and not worth as much as a ________ then Guy B is a meddling Jackass.

What should happen is that we just start reporting the Jackasses to admin and let them handle it, rather than getting mad and arguing or quitting.
Roadcaptain S3 is offline  
post #52 of 113 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 5:16 PM
Super Mod
Rich
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Waverly, NE USA
Posts: 15,729
Garage
Re: A little fed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
Some of you above state that you get fed up, angry, bothered etc...
It is not the other person that makes you angry. It is YOU that ALLOWS yourself to get that way. A person in control of their feelings shouldn't ever let themselves get annoyed. Each and every person is free to voice their opinion and express their right. If you are on the receiving end, it is YOU that determines how YOU feel about it.
I cannot make you happy. The smile on your face or the laughter that follows is something YOU controlled. I cannot make you sad. I cannot make you cry. The words I say that you hear cannot make you do anything...YOU allow my words to affect you in a good or bad way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcaptain S3 View Post
Here's part of the problem sometimes. Folks may consider it their "right" to voice an opinion, but that doesn't make it the right thing to do. If someone asks for an opinion, by all means, express yourself. Butting into a thread a to argue with someone or telling every one what you think on a subject without being asked is what often cause hard feelings.
If someone asks how to swap an overdrive into a PG car, and Guy A jumps in to tell you that they hate it when somebody does that or that 3 guys giving advice about how to do it are wrong, then Guy A is a meddling Jackass.
If someone wants details on restoring a Heavy Chevy, and Guy B jumps in to tell everyone that Heavy Chevy cars are ugly, boring and not worth as much as a ________ then Guy B is a meddling Jackass.

What should happen is that we just start reporting the Jackasses to admin and let them handle it, rather than getting mad and arguing or quitting.
Both very good points. As always, the Thumper Principle applies.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich Cummings
Rich-L79 is offline  
post #53 of 113 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 5:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: N.E.Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,024
Re: A little fed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcaptain S3 View Post
Here's part of the problem sometimes. Folks may consider it their "right" to voice an opinion, but that doesn't make it the right thing to do. If someone asks for an opinion, by all means, express yourself. Butting into a thread a to argue with someone or telling every one what you think on a subject without being asked is what often cause hard feelings.
If someone asks how to swap an overdrive into a PG car, and Guy A jumps in to tell you that they hate it when somebody does that or that 3 guys giving advice about how to do it are wrong, then Guy A is a meddling Jackass.
If someone wants details on restoring a Heavy Chevy, and Guy B jumps in to tell everyone that Heavy Chevy cars are ugly, boring and not worth as much as a ________ then Guy B is a meddling Jackass.

What should happen is that we just start reporting the Jackasses to admin and let them handle it, rather than getting mad and arguing or quitting.
But this is a forum.
What is a forum?
Who is the judge and jury when someone posts something we don't like?
We are treading into the category of millennial crybabies if this were to happen?
Also, how many people would we scare away?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fishhead is offline  
post #54 of 113 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 5:40 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 1998
Posts: 5,825
Re: A little fed up

I wish I had a dollar every time someone made a snide comment about 17" or larger wheels and tires & that's just one small example. I'm one of those old guys that drove these cars back when they were new. We modified them,then, and we're still doing it,now. If you love original,restored musclecars, that's your business and I do respect that. All us hotrodders ask for is that same respect.

FWIW, I've been a member of this site, for 20yrs. Still enjoy it and still want to participate in the forums. If you own a 64-72 Chevelle or El Camino, you just can't beat this place.
Clint44 is offline  
post #55 of 113 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 5:46 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Marietta, GA 30066
Posts: 27,728
Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino
Re: A little fed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
On the other hand, there are five fingers and a thumb.
As always...Dean is CORRECT !!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12fingers.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	518985  
davewho1 likes this.

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
BillsCamino is offline  
post #56 of 113 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 5:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,099
Re: A little fed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
But this is a forum.
What is a forum?
Who is the judge and jury when someone posts something we don't like?
We are treading into the category of millennial crybabies if this were to happen?
Also, how many people would we scare away?
I could counter that millennial crybabies are taught that they should "express themselves" and "share their feelings" all the time without being taught when it's appropriate to do so. They aren't taught that "if you can't say something nice" then keep your flapper shut.

I don't think it's a huge problem, but I've seen it happening more and more. Example: A little while back a 16 YO kid posted a pic of a rough car that had been his dad's first car. He asked about it and added pics. A few guys politely told the kid that it was rough and was going to need a lot of work, then offered some helpful advice. Another couple of guys bluntly told him that his dad's car was junk, a "pile of rust" and he was wasting his time because it was undesirable, and he should get rid of it or take it to the scrap yard and find something else.

The kid never posted again.

Last edited by Roadcaptain S3; Jan 30th, 18 at 6:09 PM.
Roadcaptain S3 is offline  
post #57 of 113 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 6:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,770
Garage
Re: A little fed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
What's HAMB?
Different bunch of grouchy old men.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ssage-board.5/
fishhead and shovelrick like this.

Mike

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


AACA Senior Grand National
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCACN Gold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
69SHEVL is offline  
post #58 of 113 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 6:50 PM
Senior Tech Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,099
Re: A little fed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SHEVL View Post
Different bunch of grouchy old men.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ssage-board.5/

A lot of cool cars and some hard core true believers.
Roadcaptain S3 is offline  
post #59 of 113 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 6:50 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: near Kansas City
Posts: 62,284
Garage
Re: A little fed up

Well, all in all although a lot of folks have gone for whatever reason never to return, we do still have a bunch of GREAT folks on here.

.
.
.
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dean is offline  
post #60 of 113 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 7:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: N.E.Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,024
Re: A little fed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcaptain S3 View Post
I could counter that millennial crybabies are taught that they should "express themselves" and "share their feelings" all the time without being taught when it's appropriate to do so. They aren't taught that "if you can't say something nice" then keep your flapper shut.

I don't think it's a huge problem, but I've seen it happening more and more. Example: A little while back a 16 YO kid posted a pic of a rough car that had been his dad's first car. He asked about it and added pics. A few guys politely told the kid that it was rough and was going to need a lot of work, then offered some helpful advice. Another couple of guys bluntly told him that his dad's car was junk, a "pile of rust" and he was wasting his time because it was undesirable, and he should get rid of it or take it to the scrap yard and find something else.

The kid never posted again.
Its a shame that this happens...but it is a product of belonging to a forum.

When we start limiting opinions and what people can say, it won't be long till everyone can't say anything.

When you join a forum you should at least realize you need some thicker skin than expecting what your mom would say when you ask her the same question.
shovelrick and b&b's69 like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fishhead is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 796 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome