Another cool car trend - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 18, 8:11 AM
Tech Team
Dwayne

Re: Another cool car trend

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb View Post
didn't all you old guys drive these cars in the 70's and 80's when they were cheap and worthless looking wore out and tired needing paint. so this trend is nothing new
Keith…He funny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 18, 12:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
JOHN

Me and a buddy are planning to build a 67-72 Chevy truck with nothing but leftover mismatched parts with an LS drivetrain . I think it will be fun .We have frames ,cabs ,beds ,wheels and most every body part ,just need a drivetrain .
Roadcaptain S3 likes this.
post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 18, 12:23 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHED View Post
Me and a buddy are planning to build a 67-72 Chevy truck with nothing but leftover mismatched parts with an LS drivetrain . I think it will be fun .We have frames ,cabs ,beds ,wheels and most every body part ,just need a drivetrain .
This seems to be the trend.... I have seen a ton of cars that retain the "patina" look. No paint /bodywork, just fix the drivetrain, clear coat over the rust, drive, drive, drive....

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
700R4
This is how we roll:

post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 18, 5:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb View Post
didn't all you old guys drive these cars in the 70's and 80's when they were cheap and worthless looking wore out and tired needing paint. so this trend is nothing new
It is new in the sense that a lot of guys getting these cars back on the road weren't born when the "old guys" were driving them around in the 70s and 80s.
post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 18, 5:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtco99 View Post
I've been watching roadkill from the beginning and I think it's exactly what this hobby needed. So many old cars sitting rotting away because they need full restorations, paint, or whatever reason. Get the mechanics done on them and just drive it and enjoy it. If a car is too nice I don't think you can fully enjoy driving it.
It appears as if they may save drag racing as well. The "Zip Tie Drags" and "Roadkill Nights" are drawing tens of thousands whenever they run their junk.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...iac/562255001/

2018 Rules, Registration, And FAQ For Roadkill Zip-Tie Drags Powered by Dodge Tucson January 19-20 - Roadkill
post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 18, 6:09 PM
Gold Member
Gene

I think the only difference is these guys don't want to spend the money on a rattle can primer paint job. Even now, I think I'd prefer a primer gray Chevelle to bad/worn paint. I'm not a fan of "patina", particularly when clear coated.

68 SS396
Team Chevelle Gold #14
post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 18, 6:25 PM
Senior Tech Team

dont mind old paint or primer one bit

never got the whole "rust is cool" thing, cl is full of them and wanting $

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 18, 5:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe Vega

Here is one of those overpriced patina wagons, this is one is mine (LOL) 396/325 with some nice options. All original except wheels and battery, still has the gum wrappers in the ash trays from the original owners from the 80's. Was parked in 1988, came back to life 10 months ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5013.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	518769   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4848.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	518777  
post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 18, 9:09 PM
Team Member
Kevin

This is the theme I've gone with and mostly because the paint and body would take years and way more $ than I want to put into the car.
Nice clean engine bay, fresh motor, nice interior and I've done up the suspension along with wheels and tires. It's fun to drive, turns heads and I don't worry about parking lot dings. I even painted the roof with matching single stage and "patina'ed" it a little. The paint is way worse than it looks in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5525.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	518841  
post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 18, 9:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
JOHN

I like the patina look myself . I recently bought a 72 Chevy longbed 4x4 from the desert of California . It has been naturally sandblasted on the hood and front fenders ,has thin paint elsewhere and dents .I have a very nice restored 72 Shortbed that I like but the 4x4 is my favorite driver .
post #41 of 52 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 8:09 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcaptain S3 View Post
It is new in the sense that a lot of guys getting these cars back on the road weren't born when the "old guys" were driving them around in the 70s and 80s.
In 1967 my daily driver was a 58 TR3. Winter was just so much fun. Side curtains didn't keep much heat in!

69 RS camaro, 410, M22 Autogear, 4-speed , 8 pt rollbar - SOLD
68 camaro - SOLD
67 Bel Air - perfect floors, rockers, trunk. Here we go again!
post #42 of 52 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 8:19 AM
Tech Team
Troy

At car shows and roll-ins I walk right past cars that have a base coat clear coat mirror paint job, and walk right up to the dull lacquer paint...love that look! Nothing worse that looking at a paint job that looks like a colored mirror, can't even see the cars shape, all I see is myself and everyone standing behind me.
post #43 of 52 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 8:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Since I bought the '68 in my profile pic 4 years ago, I've been torn between restoring it or preservation as-is. Leaning now towards the latter. Do the upgraded safety stuff, mainly disc brakes and radial tires, and just DRIVE it! It already has 125,000 on it and still runs like new (almost). If something breaks, I'll fix it.

It still looks just the pic, but maybe give it a bath?....

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #44 of 52 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 8:23 AM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dorion View Post
In 1967 my daily driver was a 58 TR3. Winter was just so much fun. Side curtains didn't keep much heat in!
I had a 58 MGA back in 1968, but living in the Phoenix area it wasn't too bad in the winter. Also had a 62 Impala to drive if it got real cold or I had to travel more than across town.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #45 of 52 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 8:50 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by azchevs View Post
Here is one of those overpriced patina wagons, this is one is mine (LOL) 396/325 with some nice options. All original except wheels and battery, still has the gum wrappers in the ash trays from the original owners from the 80's. Was parked in 1988, came back to life 10 months ago.
Ooooh, I like that.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 540 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.