Cars you wish you kept - Page 9 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

280Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #121 of 128 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 18, 7:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage
Re: Cars you wish you kept

I drove my bosses 70 454 4 spd vette in 77, rode with him to a speed shop to pick up his 70 Z28 and drove the vette back to his house keeping up with him ( or trying to )in the Z was a blast!!, I think if I could have drove the vette better it would have been a race, bought a 64 Econoline van with a 289 mustang engine & manual trans from him that I ended up breaking the front end from pulling the front off the ground, bouncing with the clutch I could hop the front up and one time it came down broke I think a king pin, I sold the engine & trans and junked the rest
Thor454 and Saltherring like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 128 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 18, 1:58 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy67 View Post
My 1973 turbocharged Datsun 510. it took nearly 10 years to build and was featured in several magazines. While I did get good money out of it, I will never be able to replace it and now there seems to be a renewed interest in vintage Japanese cars. I have seen several poor examples of 510's go for significantly more than I got out of mine.
Local yard (Dona Ana NM) has a mid seventies Datsun coupe (610, perhaps? It has a weird looking tailpan) and a '77 Subaru coupe. Either could be purchased very cheaply. Solid bodies.
Thor454 likes this.
post #123 of 128 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 18, 2:20 PM
Senior Tech Team

1969 Chevelle coupe
1970 AMC hornet coupe
Both purchased for $300 ea., with clear titles!
The Chevelle was headed for scrap, in pieces on a trailer, when intercepted. Put it together as a rolling shell and tried to sell it, even dragged it up to Michigan to a consigner. Guy was too busy with his own stuff, and it was eventually dumped for little gain.
The Hornet was factory orange, and had a perfect metal body. All the interior was dry rotted, and plastics were cracked and broken. And there was little to no aftermarket support. Dragged that one to an AMC nationals, and it too went for very little. That car might have been very good, with an updated engine / trans, perhaps a late nineties F body V-6 and five speed.
Thor454 likes this.
post #124 of 128 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 18, 3:47 PM
Tech Team
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
I drove my bosses 70 454 4 spd vette in 77, rode with him to a speed shop to pick up his 70 Z28 and drove the vette back to his house keeping up with him ( or trying to )in the Z was a blast!!, I think if I could have drove the vette better it would have been a race, bought a 64 Econoline van with a 289 mustang engine & manual trans from him that I ended up breaking the front end from pulling the front off the ground, bouncing with the clutch I could hop the front up and one time it came down broke I think a king pin, I sold the engine & trans and junked the rest
Rick, was the 70' Vette a LS5 engine? I have looked at getting an ol' 70' Vette with a 454 but for the price they go for now, I'd rather look at the new Vette.

I patterned my first 454 after the LS5 engine for sentimental reasons, and it was a great daily driver motor for me.

Corey
Saltherring likes this.
post #125 of 128 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 18, 4:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

It probably was an LS5 but he was a gearhead and hung around that speed shop a lot so I think it had a good bit of work done to it, I know for sure it had a different cam in it, and he had $$$ to burn up at the speed shop, the Z28 was what he talked a lot about though
Thor454 and Saltherring like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #126 of 128 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 18, 5:19 PM
Jerry

Garage

1937 Chevy 2-dr Sedan
1953 Chevy Belaire (2)
1958 Chevy Impala
1960 Chevy Impala (2)
1966 Chevy Caprice
1967 Chevelle Malibu (2)
1968 Chevelle Malibu
1971 Camaro
1973 Chevy Impala

XLR8

...Resto is a learning experience to enjoy!
post #127 of 128 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 18, 10:36 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG View Post
Not mine but a couple of tractors from 2018 Barrett Jackson. Maybe for the guys with real dirt under their finger nails.
1950 OLIVER 77 ORCHARD TRACTOR - 213335
1960 PORSCHE STANDARD T217 TRACTOR - 215079

P.S. I humped hay bales one summer for spending money to support a racing habit. The bales were in the110lb range. Next year I found washing dishes/bussing tables at a restaurant much closer to my idea of a proper job.
thats real work
in the 80s spent a summer on my grandfathers ranch in Alamagordo NM doing the same thing. Lots of alfalfa to water & bale
learned to drive in his 63 farm truck had the 305 v6. that was ballbustin work, still remember the mounds of ants...and large grasshoppers climbing up your pants will never live that one down! lol
Thor454 likes this.

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #128 of 128 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 18, 3:42 PM
Tech Team
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
thats real work
in the 80s spent a summer on my grandfathers ranch in Alamagordo NM doing the same thing. Lots of alfalfa to water & bale
learned to drive in his 63 farm truck had the 305 v6. that was ballbustin work, still remember the mounds of ants...and large grasshoppers climbing up your pants will never live that one down! lol
Great story, cuisinartvette! That is some open country, isn't it? Fun times, I bet!

I wouldn't trade the "ball bustin'" work for anything! It helped build some toughness for sure....don't know where it all went though...smile

Corey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 903 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.