Back surgery recovery time? - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

5Likes
  • 2 Post By cuisinartvette
  • 1 Post By Don B
  • 2 Post By cuisinartvette

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 18, 6:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Back surgery recovery time?

Namely the thoracic, area Orthos dont wanna work on

Cigna sounds like might work with laser spine institute to give it a try, been 5 yrs coming.

Know its risky but gotta get done so I Can work. Staying at home dont pay

How long were you down for before you could be up walking around?
Did you see a true reduction in pain?

Oh....and removing a cluster of hoppity hops growing in the back door.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cuisinartvette; Jan 5th, 18 at 6:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 18, 6:43 PM
Tech Team
Kim

Re: Back surgery recovery time?

Not sure how this may pertain to your situation.
I've had three spinal surgeries over the years all in the lumbar area.
Had a total discectomy in 1998 with spinal fusion that basically disabled me from working as there was substantial nerve damage.
Recovery was pretty long just to get around on my own'
Had my third surgery in 2016 to repair 3 more herniated discs just above the fusion. Was done with micro surgery.
Was on my feet the very next morning and walking up stairs with assistance the day after that. Recovery is going to depend on you and the surgeon.
Mine was very conservative and I was only doing short walks in the beginning.
Six weeks is about the norm if all goes well with physical therapy starting after that.
Pain is something I live with every day as a result of the prior nerve damage so can't really speak to the effectiveness of the surgery in eliminating it totally.
The sooner you get it done the less chance of long term damage.
Good luck
Kim
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 18, 6:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Ill take the risks at this point theres no other way. The lumbar I will skip over and live with.
Long term use of meds has caused me other issues that landed me in the er a few days ago. That will require another procedure
Nothing to lose really the way I look at it, god forbid the worst happens I got things in order so the other half can survive awhile.
Got lots of blood clots, mucho blood thinners and a giant hemangioma right where the damage is.
HKalin and fr8dog like this.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 18, 7:32 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
Ill take the risks at this point theres no other way. The lumbar I will skip over and live with.
Long term use of meds has caused me other issues that landed me in the er a few days ago. That will require another procedure
Nothing to lose really the way I look at it, god forbid the worst happens I got things in order so the other half can survive awhile.
Got lots of blood clots, mucho blood thinners and a giant hemangioma right where the damage is.
Well whatever you decide I hope everything goes well for you.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 18, 8:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
JOHN

I had back surgery about 1 1/2 years ago ,fused the lower 3 vertibre and repaired a lot of nerve damage ans I was out of work to recover for 10 weeks but pain was gone instantly when I woke up in recovery .Physical therapy for 6 weeks was brutal but it got me strong enough to go back to work .I was walking the next day and walked several miles per day afterwards until I was released to go back to work. I was on light duty at work for about 6 or 8 weeks .
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 18, 9:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Good for you!
Was on light duty working a lockup for almsot 2 yrs out of a wheelchair til I couldnt do it anymore. Been home for a year, no state or fed disability either
If I can improve my back gonna chance the clot thing and try to find a job. I could probably stay here and get a desk job but the cost of living is so high Id still bein the negative thats not living.

The success stories keem em coming.
I know there is one bulged disc that doesnt even look that bad but there is some crazy nerve thing going on and degenerative on top of it.
Discovered diverticulosis 2 days ago.

Quote:

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 18, 9:38 PM
TKG
Tech Team
Terry

Cervical fusion C-5/6, pain, numbness, lack of grip. Failure meant everything on the left side below C6 stops working, AKA wheelchair.
Surgery went perfect instant fix. Recovering from the hacking and cutting took 6 weeks for the fusion to set and the incision to heal, then 2 weeks therapy. Then All Good.

Of course 4 weeks later I slipped on the ice and shattered a knee [/QUOTE]

TKG
64 Malibu Coupe
283, Fitech
2004r, 4w discs
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 18, 9:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Damn....get her fixed bet you were glad to get out of that chair
Spent almost 2 yrs in one is sure brings out the Dbag in people!! Sure you experienced it too

Cant stand for more than a few min or walk more than 50+-yds, sit up straight

Was recovering from the DVT pain some...then fell in the shower (concussion) then again about a month ago. Girlfriend said she came home from work and found me unconscious in the shower. Id been there for hours said I still smelled bad
Dont tell your Dr if you got knocked out they will have your license taken away. He was asking me that and while I was just about to answer, bam dropped right then and there lol

Quote:

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 18, 4:52 AM
Tech Team
Rame

Garage

My sister had the laser surgery, she was up and kicking in less than 2 weeks, she's in her late 40's. Everyone is different though so recovery times will vary, good luck dude back pain sucks.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 18, 10:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

I have had three conventional surgery's on my lumbar area since 1989,they all helped alleviate some of the pain,did end up with foot drop but not from the surgery.In one weeks time before I had the last lumbar surgery(emergency Sunday morning)nerve damage was permanent.I did have thoracic surgery @TH e Laser Spine Institute in Tampa in 2007,ended up spending about two weeks in the area(stayed with aunt)before they did the surgery did a lot more tests on me,MRI's,nerve blocks ect. They were very hesitant to perform thoracic surgery because of ribs coneecting to the spine in that area and a lot more nerves to worry about. I insisted and had the surgery,it was like outpatient surgey,I wasn't even completely under,it went well. I still have some discomfort and stiffness but 90% better.They will look @ any MRI's you've had for nothing and let you know if they think they can help.I did see a lot of people walk in with a lot of lumbar issues and walk in without pain the next day to start therapy instructions. If you have insurance make sure you verify in writing that they will cover it,I did by phone but when I tried to submit the claim it took 2 years to get reimbursed for a little more than half the cost. Spine Institute doesn't accept insurance,my surgery,including the tests they did was $30,000.00.Conventional surgery @ that time would have been between $90-$100,000.00.Good Luck nto you.
HKalin likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 18, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Cigna rep called yesterda got her up to speed on my dealings wtih LSI
She said she just needs to get my Dr to sign some paper recommending it, get one more approval it should not be a problem. If I had cash Id have just paid for it. Gotta keep pushing these people the old "squeaky wheel" bit.
LeoP and HKalin like this.

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 653 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.