Poor swap meet etiquette - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

86Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 17, 3:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
Re: Poor swap meet etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
If somebody hits you at half or less as a negotiating tactic, my attitude is Iím not going to realize the price I want. I have been known to thank them for the offer and withdraw from further negotiations. The potential buyer has now spent their goodwill with me as a seller and I wonít waste anymore time frustrating myself.
I have actually raised my "counter-offer" above my original price when a guy gave a really low-ball offer... The guy started to argue, but I just told him his offer was just as ridiculous...

A few years ago, my neighbor invited me to share a space at the swap meet. He and another friend of his reserve 3 spaces, and really only needed 1 or 2... So the day before, I went around the garage, and loaded my truck with everything I wanted to sell... That night I made a list of my "asking" price, my "sell it" price, and a third "late day" price... I also like to keep track of what I have sold, and for how much, and the list came in handy...

Wow, hadn't experienced the vultures in a long time, but they were swarming over my truck as soon as I pulled up... Amazingly, all the guys making offers while in line, were REALLY low-ball...

Once I got in, I had a hard time unloading, because some many people were asking so many questions...

Quite a few guys groaned when they asked a price, and I pulled out the list to check... Not a swap meet regular, so I had few, if any, price tags on stuff... But an enjoyable day. I sold far more parts than my neighbor and his friend, and made a LOT more money... I was disappointed that I didn't have more to sell...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 17, 3:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
I have actually raised my "counter-offer" above my original price when a guy gave a really low-ball offer... The guy started to argue, but I just told him his offer was just as ridiculous...
I have a standard response. I'm asking $100, guy says what's my bottom line, I say $75, he says "I like $25 better", I respond with "I like $200 even better, but that's not going to happen either"
RAMBO, haughty, BMR Sales and 2 others like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 17, 3:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
One even hollered after me and said good luck finding another one!!!
"The only thing harder to find is a guy who needs one"
RAMBO, Bow_Tied, 68post and 2 others like this.

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's

-
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 17, 3:11 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude View Post
YES! I've noticed lately that 50% of the stuff at swap meets are parts that I would have just scrapped. I mean just TOTAL junk!

The other 45% of the stuff is generally priced well above market value by people that have watched too much Barrett-Jackson.

You can sometimes still find good parts at reasonable prices, but it's getting harder and harder.
I am sure you have been to Carlisle, I have been going for about 20 years now. I am soft spoken and polite, never pushy and, will just say "Thanks" and walk away if my price and the seller's price is too far apart. ( even the guys who say " you can't insult me") I have bought some stuff at great prices, been "Given" items, even paid once to take a 307 SBC! A couple of Doozies- a guy haggling the price of a plastic model kit, the seller got really pissed, threw it on the ground, stomped on it and said there! you can have it for free now!. Another guy selling a new, but cheap looking Tach. I inquired , he said something like $35 or something . I just nodded and said thanks, he starts yelling at me to get out of his stand and put the item in the box. ( as I was setting it back down) I wanted to throw that damn thing on the ground and piss on it because of his attitude. My house was really close to gate three, so I sold parking spots, and set a few items out front of my house. I got a knock at the door, a couple younger guys asking about a set of old aluminum slots that I had $0 into. How much? I DK make me an offer/ $100? / All I really wanted was $80. will that work?/ they smiled and bought them. Sometimes, yo don't have to grab the highest price to be satisfied

What you do today dictates how fast you go Tomorrow
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 17, 3:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lance

Garage

FWIW...have had my share of "low ballers at swap meets, if I have a $100 intake for which I'm offered, say $35, I will advise them to return at midnight and if I'm still there they can have it for that price. On some others, if the offer is near my bottom line, I will tell them I'm packing up at 3PM, and if I still have it at 3 PM you can have it for that price...if they become really obnoxious I may pack up at 2:45, or tuck the item away and tell them it was sold at my higher price (if they were super obnoxious) and I felt the item would sell for my asking price at another meet at another location. Avoids confrontation, some times also tell them someone coming back at 2PM to buy at my asking price or whatever price I will take. Had one parts meet where I had a take-off DZ 302 carb for $250 (15 yrs ago), the lead person in line was determined he was going to buy it for $100, I told him to turn around and look at the line behind him because they were waiting for him to get out of the way so them could buy it at my price. He just shut up, reached into his pocket and paid my price. Rare, but it does happen. We don't need the mean hagglers.
68-13427 likes this.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 17, 9:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Usually I shy away from the meets as I don't get to meet fine gents as yourselves.. I must be going to the "we're all related to the one set of teeth we share" instead of a respectable meet.
I'm, as many of you have mentioned the type that inspects, looks , sees the price and if it's a not "have to" item, I will kindly go to the next space.
I have bought home things from those "traveling roadshow vendors" flashy trailers and setups. "High quality hot rod parts" dubiously labled with a vowel missing on the decal...ahem

Starter I bought, new.. junk...
Packs of fasteners...not a torx wrench would work on these and that's saying alot....
I could go on...no traveling salvation shows for me anymore...

I'm the Haught guy.......
2004 GMC Pickemup-
1972 Chevelle...
2015 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Ultimate
2001 BMW K1200 LT (Sally Ride)

Whatever doesn't kill me, Better RUN!!
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 17, 9:01 PM
Senior Tech Team

Is anyone else noticing the increasing trend of low-ballers on ebay too? I've recently had stuff on there auction-style with no buy it now price.

For example, let's say the item has the bidding starting at $50 with $12 shipping. More than once in recent months, I've had people message me saying "I'll give you $30 shipped to some-zip-code-at-the-the-other-end-of-the-USA".

If I wanted to sell for $30 with free shipping, I'd have listed it that way....
Steve R and JFS65 like this.
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 9:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:
Is anyone else noticing the increasing trend of low-ballers on ebay too? I've recently had stuff on there auction-style with no buy it now price.

For example, let's say the item has the bidding starting at $50 with $12 shipping. More than once in recent months, I've had people message me saying "I'll give you $30 shipped to some-zip-code-at-the-the-other-end-of-the-USA".

I get cheap bastards all the time.

I made a listing mistake on a set of flathead rod bearings. I normally ask $50 for a set of NOS and $40-$50 for NORS, and $15 for singles, depending on size and condition. I messed up and put up a set for the single price. Some guy made a $10 offer on the set. LOL. It made me realize my mistake, and I declined his offer and raised the price to $40. Serves him right - $15 was a bargain and he should have bought them.
Steve R likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 10:06 AM
Senior Tech Team
Anakin

Quote:

I get lowballers all the time. I just reject the offer, no counter. I had one smart ass tell me that I need to counter if I want to sell it. I added him to my blocked bidder list, and that was my counter. I don't care if I sell it next week, next month, or next year. My experience has been every time I accept a lowball I end up having problems with the seller after the sale. I'd rather throw the stuff out than deal with clowns. I don't need the money, it's just gravy.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrdvdr41 View Post
I get lowballers all the time. I just reject the offer, no counter. I had one smart ass tell me that I need to counter if I want to sell it. I added him to my blocked bidder list, and that was my counter. I don't care if I sell it next week, next month, or next year. My experience has been every time I accept a lowball I end up having problems with the seller after the sale. I'd rather throw the stuff out than deal with clowns. I don't need the money, it's just gravy.
I had one lowballer send me an angry message to the effect of "what's the point of best offer if you won't take my offer?!" I thought about responding with "it's BEST offer, not ANY offer", but I just put him on my black list instead.

It's pretty easy to tell who is going to be a problem. Right now I have a problem - someone bought the wrong part and is blaming me, saying it's not as described. He can go ahead and send it back on his dime (30 day return period) or go ahead and file his SNAD claim, which I will win.

Quote:
As usual, Andy is right

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 626 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.