best way to hide car parts from other half? - Page 5 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

130Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 77 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 17, 8:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Re: best way to hide car parts from other half?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZAUTO View Post
I don't hide anything, I put it in plain sight along the wall, on one of the shelves or on the workbench. On those ultra rare occasions when I do get questioned, I tell her that it's for HER 70 Chevelle convertible
Same here, it's for HER '54 Corvette project......

But she's a car girl, so I'm pretty sure she knows better.....

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 17, 10:11 AM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

My wife likes cars, but I don't know if she has done any math to figure out how much I spend on them... I have done the math. It's not a small number.
RAMBO and shovelrick like this.

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #63 of 77 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 17, 10:43 AM
Tech Team
Rocky

Garage

Not condoning any of this, but my neighbor arranged all his deliveries to go to another neighbor's home. He would retrieve parts as needed. How any of the purchases were hidden..I have no clue.
post #64 of 77 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 17, 11:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

My wife is pretty cool about what I spend on the chevelle and the 2 Harleys I built ground up, 1 of the Harleys I built the engine in the dining room, the other I bought a crate engine and it sat in the dining room for a couple months, I built the chevelle so she could enjoy driving something rather than just sitting on the back of a bike, she loves riding but doesn't want to learn to ride by herself, so she doesn't say much about car $$$ as long as its nice looking and reliable, she really only asked for 6 way power seats, she's 5 feet tall, auto, no metallic paint, she had a 68 chevelle that was badly faded, I explained paints better now but OK anyway

post #65 of 77 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 17, 11:38 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mitch

I have the most kind hearted and passive wife around. She has NO interest in my cars but rarely says much about the MANY boxes of parts that arrive on a regular basis. In fact, the UPS man used to drop them off at the shop, rather than the house, but he must have gotten moved to a different route, as that hasn't happened with the last few deliveries. She stopped telling me I have too many cars a number of years ago, as it didn't stop me from buying them. I just came back from a 2,000 mile trip to TX for a '69 C10. I'm now looking for a 3rd 4 post lift to store it on and a large enough pole barn to store my TT in. I have a friend who encouraged this behavior and kept 3-4 at his pole barn, but now his significant other wants to move and he can't say no, or she will take the kids and leave anyway...
Her biggest concern is what it is all worth and how she would liquidate it if I fell over...
Oh, we met later in life and have always maintained separate finances, so she rarely see's any cc charges. We also paid off the mortgage with benefits from our parents when they passed away, so it's not like we're struggling to pay bills, like many younger people.

70 Chevelle SS 396, M20 Oshawa built Z25 project.
66 Chevelle SS 396, Atlanta built 138 driver/project.
67 Camaro, ss/rs 350 LA built driver/project.
62 Impala SS with a transplant 409
1954 210 2 dr sedan 292 6 cyl, straight axle project
38 Chev coupe...355, 200r4, 8.5" 3.42 posi
69 Chev C10
89 R3500 roll back car carrier
post #66 of 77 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 17, 1:27 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

C'mon you guys. Grow a set. You don't sit down to pee do you? I'm the king here. I say WHAT GOES here.

No honey, I'm not on that stupid car site.

Ouch, That hurt.
Gotta go guys. I'll log back in when I'm not grounded anymore.
post #67 of 77 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 17, 2:11 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
Yea...while I deployed, my buddy asked me what would his wife be buying at walmart for $1000-$2000 a week...

I thought, gee I don't know, food, redoing the house....then the money order thing popped into my head, when I mentioned it, he ran out of my hooch, ran to call his parents and his wife.

$18,000 gone of the $22,000 he had saved...apparently he left it go on too long.

Who wants to guess if she was waiting for him when he got home?...
(Expleteive) Jody!

My story is , I just tell her it keeps me out of the Bars and Cathouses, and it keeps me off the golf courses.
I usually say " Goin treasure hunting" when headed to the Salvage yard. or " goin on a Mission" " For What?" " oh, you know, some parts for the ElCo" I hear her puff out a sigh and then I leave. Also, this year, the equation is " That's money you would have spent on cigarettes ( I quit for New years, so, that's $7 a day? I have saved about $2k from not smoking)" So, I am not doing too bad, and I flipped some parts, Wheels, Tires, and sold two El Co's

What you do today dictates how fast you go Tomorrow

Last edited by davewho1; Oct 27th, 17 at 1:50 AM. Reason: fixed quote
post #68 of 77 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 17, 12:13 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

I have always kept my "play" money separate from income. I am the only only wage earner in my house, and I have 5 kids. Well, not completely true, my oldest is 18 and working, but he's saving to buy a house of his own. Anyway, my car money comes from parts I sell, doing side jobs and overtime. It's always available should my income come up short, but my wife has never accepted it. I don't typically spend a lot, I find deals and rebuild as much as possible. I also only have 2 other hobbies. I play bass guitar, new strings cost me about $50 a year, and I snowboard that I do as cheaply as possible. Other than that, year round, I'm doing cars.

Devin
shovelrick likes this.

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #69 of 77 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 17, 9:12 AM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek69SS View Post
My wife likes cars, but I don't know if she has done any math to figure out how much I spend on them... I have done the math. It's not a small number.
And that doesn't even include that airplane you bought last spring

The lines are kind of blurred around here due to my business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

post #70 of 77 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 17, 9:20 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
Airplane ??? I haven't heard about this either...maybe there IS a way to get that 4 post lift from him...

69 Chev C10
post #71 of 77 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 17, 11:15 AM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
That was a dissappointing trip home. Not one person asked if it was an airplane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second_chance_SS View Post
Airplane ??? I haven't heard about this either...maybe there IS a way to get that 4 post lift from him...
It's a 1920s one-man boattail race car body.

Andy was at the same swap meet where I bought it. According to the guy I bought it from, everywhere they stopped people would ask if it was an airplane...

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's

-
post #72 of 77 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 17, 11:18 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mitch

Oh, I think I remember that...DANG, there goes my leverage...

69 Chev C10
post #73 of 77 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 17, 5:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

My wife is trying to talk me into buying a car to compete in the local track fastest street car shootout next year. Need something that runs mid tens to be close to competitive. She doesn't want me to cage "our" 69SS to tech quicker than 11.5. Smart girl. I don't want to cage it either so I am shopping for a car to make her happy. Nothing is too good for my wife.
goatless likes this.
post #74 of 77 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 17, 5:25 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS427Rick View Post
My wife is trying to talk me into buying a car to compete in the local track fastest street car shootout next year. Need something that runs mid tens to be close to competitive. She doesn't want me to cage "our" 69SS to tech quicker than 11.5. Smart girl. I don't want to cage it either so I am shopping for a car to make her happy. Nothing is too good for my wife.
Said (or will ever say,) my wife ever.
post #75 of 77 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 17, 7:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek69SS View Post

It's a 1920s one-man boattail race car body.

Andy was at the same swap meet where I bought it. According to the guy I bought it from, everywhere they stopped people would ask if it was an airplane...
Been past your place many times. Seen several old cars at the end of the driveway. No airplanes.

I do know of a guy that has a 9-cylinder 30's-something radial engine sitting in his shop next to all his '34 Fords. And it RUNS, on the engine stand. Pretty cool, if you're interested, to go along with that boattail body.....

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 885 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.