NHRA to cut Pro Stock field in half at nine races next season. - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 17, 7:13 PM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Re: NHRA to cut Pro Stock field in half at nine races next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
I understand that

I bet that they don't make a dime on the sportsman classes after all of the associated expenses. I would love to see the cost for operating a national even and I am sure it is available somewhere online if you have time to look for it.

And that is part of the problem. What happened to racing for the fun of racing ? The same guys that are complaining about payouts are the ones rolling into a national event with a 100K motor home towing a 50K trailer and a with a golf cart etc etc etc. Compare it to some of my boater customers that have 100K boats with two blown big block Chevy's. They have the 60K dually to tow it with. They go out and use $600 in fuel alone on a weekend, every weekend. What payout do they get ??? Not a penny.

If you cant afford to go race at a national event then you shouldn't. Stick with local races and have a good time.

I am on class racer two or three times a day and I know how they feel about it.

I know that I am in the minority thinking this way, but thats my feelings. I had an NHRA competition license and raced for 20+ years. I never had the money to build a class car or a .90 car to go to a national event. I was absolutely thrilled getting in my car and running at MIR or a few other local tracks. I put almost 3000 passes on it before I sold it. I won a little bit of money but that was never my reason for racing. I just loved getting in the car and going down the track in 10 seconds. I could afford it and had a ton of fun doing it. Thats the way it should be
I guess we'll just agree to disagree on NHRA's financials. FWIW I raced in NHRA Stock Eliminator from '76 through '83, won a division points meet and a couple class wallys. Held the B/SA 1/8 mile national record for a few months. Back then we racers would get "goody bags" from manufacturers at national events that was worth a few bucks but that doesn't happen anymore. Most of the manufacturers have disappeared from the Sportsman pits because NHRA raised the fees to be there too high.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15
[img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 17, 1:12 PM
Senior Tech Team

Watch almost any motorsports event on TV. NASCAR, NHRA or Indy Car... pick one. Look at the stands, they are not filling seats. There are no end of reasons but from what I can see auto racing in the future is not going to be what it once was. Sportsmen racing in NHRA is (was?) the soul of our interst in cars back in the days when we were younger but I gotta say it is another day now.

For me the NHRA pro class racing is interesting for about two runs in each class then it is b-o-r-i-n-g. Maybe I am just getting older, maybe the cars are so technological that I see it as a tuner issue with the driver adding little more than hands and feet to the end result (not in pro stock) .

Aside from my thoughts about my feelings about the sport the young people today are just not interested the way we were. Many, not all, are not even interested in getting a drivers license let alone getting into drag racing. Unless there is some sort of huge change in attitude and / or some huge change in what happens "at the track" I think the downward spiral in interest will inevitably continue.

Last edited by oman; Oct 6th, 17 at 3:37 PM.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 17, 1:58 PM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Here's one reason the stands are far from full. An example of the high cost to attend NHRA national events as a spectator is as follows: About 8 years ago we used to go for Friday night Pro qualifying at the U.S. Nationals. General admission was $32 each. That's after paying to park. This year it was $46. Back then it was about $52 on Monday for final eliminations. Now it's over $60. I dropped my NHRA membership about 10 years ago when the annual fee hit about $75. They had raised it substantially from the year before and the reason given was "due to declining membership we're forced to raise our rates to make up the difference".

[img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 17, 3:34 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by von View Post
......... and the reason given was "due to declining membership we're forced to raise our rates to make up the difference".
There it is...people just don't care about this drag racing stuff at the levels that they used to. Things change and I think that the sport is more or less played out. It certainly is played out at the levels we knew years ago. Sure there are "Geezers" my age who are still in it and there are some younger folks in it big time now but that younger population can't sustain the sport as we knew it.

All the event programs are based on higher attendance levels. Something hadda give. What "gave" was the relatively lower prices we once knew. I don't think that it initially was the higher prices that caused lower attendance...it was lower attendance that cause higher prices IMHO.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 17, 4:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman View Post
There it is...people just don't care about this drag racing stuff at the levels that they used to. Things change and I think that the sport is more or less played out. It certainly is played out at the levels we knew years ago. Sure there are "Geezers" my age who are still in it and there are some younger folks in it big time now but that younger population can't sustain the sport as we knew it.

All the event programs are based on higher attendance levels. Something hadda give. What "gave" was the relatively lower prices we once knew. I don't think that it initially was the higher prices that caused lower attendance...it was lower attendance that cause higher prices IMHO.
Higher prices have not necessarily caused the lower attendance. My local track charges between $50-$60 for general admission tickets, depending on the day plus $10 for each seat in the grandstand or for track level standing area about 75 feet to the side, they do however have free parking. They sell out all 20,000+ seats on Friday and Sunday plus come close on Saturday. It's been that way for years.

However, at the divisional race which is always run the week prior it's a ghost town. They would be lucky to get a few hundred spectators and most of those are friends or family of racers. Those tickets start at $5 on Friday and are $20 for Saturday and Sunday. There are no parking restrictions, you can in drive and park anywhere on premises, the only restricted area is right next to the starting line, even the staging lanes are open to anyone. They don't just run NHRA class legal cars, they have classes for Pro Mods, top fuel Harley's, this year they even brought in big and small tire grudge style cars.

The typical fan has no interest in anything other than Top Fuel. All the talk about treatment of sportsman racers as the root of the problem is meaningless, all it takes is one look at the grandstands while they are running to figure that out. This last paragraph is not directed at anyone in particular, just that line of arguement that keeps coming up.

Steve R
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 17, 4:28 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

what are young people interested in? i see nothing
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 17, 4:46 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
I guess we'll just agree to disagree on NHRA's financials
No problem. Actually without seeing the actual numbers neither one of us knows for sure.

Quote:
Most of the manufacturers have disappeared from the Sportsman pits because NHRA raised the fees to be there too high.
I would venture to say it is more likely they have disappeared because there is no return on investment for them being there. I went to the Summernationals almost 15 years straight as a spectator. I would bet that the majority of sales that the manufacturers made or leads they got there were from spectators, not guys that were there racing. I remember waiting to go to the race to buy stuff for the race car. But now days the newer spectators are not building or racing cars so they are not buying parts at the track ?

As far as the price to get in, yes it has gotten higher but so has Major League Baseball, NFL games, NASCAR etc. I dont think that is the reason for declining attendance.

I personally think that some of the problem might be the fact that there are way more races now than there were 30 years ago. I think there were 11 National events in 1981. How many are there today ?? 24 ?? Is it spreading both the spectators and the racers too thin ?

Just some thoughts. I love drag racing and hope it is around for a long time but it is going to change.
Steve R likes this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 17, 5:06 PM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman View Post

I don't disagree with any of this but I think the price vs attendance situation is a snowball effect. Prices keep going up, attendance keeps going down. Which causes which? The chicken or the egg, etc.

[img]

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 17, 3:44 PM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

I see now after meeting with Pro Stock team owners and drivers that NHRA has changed their minds and reinstated 16 car Pro Stock fields at all next year's national events. Said to be evaluating ideas from the teams to make Pro Stock more popular, including discussing a possible new engine platform.

https://www.nhra.com/news/2017/nhra-...ational-events

[img]

post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 17, 4:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
I see now after meeting with Pro Stock team owners and drivers that NHRA has changed their minds and reinstated 16 car Pro Stock fields at all next year's national events. Said to be evaluating ideas from the teams to make Pro Stock more popular, including discussing a possible new engine platform.

https://www.nhra.com/news/2017/nhra-...ational-events
Thanks for the update.

If I were to bet, I'd say Pro Stock will not run at all of the national events in 2019, it will run a schedule similar to Pro Stock Bike and Pro Mod where they run a majority of event, but not all.

A friend of mine was at the Las Vegas race this weekend, he said they don't have top fuel qualifying under the lights on Friday night. My local track does and it sells out every seat, for some reason I thought they did that at every national event when the weather is warm. That is an unforced error on their part.

Steve R
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 17, 11:35 AM
Tech Team
Mike

All forms of racing boil down to one thing, finance. Who ever has the funds to stay up with the latest technology wins. they could just stick buckets at the start line and have the teams fill them with cash. who ever fills the bucket highest wins, sure there is some skill and luck but on the average its the big money team that wins.

dont get me wrong I enjoy racing, mostly off shore powerboats but it pretty much the same thing, big money wins.

15 years in Craft Brewing/ Distilling Industry
Lead Maintenance Mechanic
Submarine Service SSN 575 / SSN 683

post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 17, 12:26 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Pro Stock reminds me of IROC: Races between identically prepared Camaros. Yeah, there's a couple Mopars, but come on. Get some variety in there.
Steve R likes this.

68 SS396
Team Chevelle Gold #14
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 17, 1:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene McGill View Post
Pro Stock reminds me of IROC: Races between identically prepared Camaros. Yeah, there's a couple Mopars, but come on. Get some variety in there.
I was talking to a friend on Sunday that has worked races for NHRA for the last 30+ years, he said the exact same thing. Ford and Mopar have both stopped financially supporting Pro Stock and put most or all of their of their recourses into sportsman classes. With Mopar, it seems to be working, my local track has a race most Wednesday night's, late model Mopars easily outnumber Ford and GM cars 2 to 1.

Steve R
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 17, 2:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
I was talking to a friend on Sunday that has worked races for NHRA for the last 30+ years, he said the exact same thing. Ford and Mopar have both stopped financially supporting Pro Stock and put most or all of their of their recourses into sportsman classes. With Mopar, it seems to be working, my local track has a race most Wednesday night's, late model Mopars easily outnumber Ford and GM cars 2 to 1.

Steve R
IMO, perhaps Pro Stock should go back to its roots, "Stock" derived, or at least closer to them... Make them use actual cars (actual dimensions), with limited body/aero/stance mods for safety and maybe a mildly scooped hood). And make all the rear wheel drive cars use rear wheel drive bodies (Camaro, Mustang, Challenger), and maybe go a step further, forced to use actual (body in white" production pieces... Think back to the "win on Sunday, sell on Monday", with the Pro Stock cars looking just like something you could buy off the showroom (minus the huge rear tires, wings, hood scoops and roll cage)... Really, they could basically use the current "COPO/Cobra Jet" cars as the basis... Use "production engine" architecture, no superchargers, and maybe adjust/handicap...

Basically sounds like some of the Sportsman stuff anyway...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 17, 3:02 PM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
IMO, perhaps Pro Stock should go back to its roots, "Stock" derived, or at least closer to them... Make them use actual cars (actual dimensions), with limited body/aero/stance mods for safety and maybe a mildly scooped hood). And make all the rear wheel drive cars use rear wheel drive bodies (Camaro, Mustang, Challenger), and maybe go a step further, forced to use actual (body in white" production pieces... Think back to the "win on Sunday, sell on Monday", with the Pro Stock cars looking just like something you could buy off the showroom (minus the huge rear tires, wings, hood scoops and roll cage)... Really, they could basically use the current "COPO/Cobra Jet" cars as the basis... Use "production engine" architecture, no superchargers, and maybe adjust/handicap...

Basically sounds like some of the Sportsman stuff anyway...
I agree but I read that Mopar suggested going back to "more stock" cars and engines, like the Factory Stock Challenge cars are now, and NHRA turned them down. I think NHRA is afraid of cars going slower than now will lose fan appeal. I don't know of anything that will turn Pro Stock around and make it popular with fans again like it used to be. Most fans nowadays want noise, fire, smoke, speed, blowups, crashes, etc. Like Allen Johnson said, "WWF cars".

[img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 743 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.