RIP Tom Petty - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 17, 11:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Unhappy Re: RIP Tom Petty

Sad to hear of Tom Petty's passing. I saw him live twice and he was great both times. So many great songs over the years and he seemed like a real normal, down to earth person. I remember "Refugee" being played constantly at parties when I was a teenager. Long time ago. RIP Mr. Petty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 17, 11:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Re: RIP Tom Petty

this is how you know you're getting close to the end...

you associate memories with the people passing...

I used to not know who people were that died, not I am recognizing them easier...wont be long now.

Time flies by so quickly.
427L88 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 17, 1:15 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Ironically Shane, due to cognition, the older you get, the faster it flies..... its like the white stripes on the highway, and the brakes dont work...... folks call me "incorrigible" anymore, and I say, get er done, or get the hell out of my way, I aint gonna live forever.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 17, 1:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Yeah, the shyte can hit the fan in one minute...
I went from traveling the world to spending three months in a f'n wheelchair...and the docs were telling me I was "lucky".
Enjoy the ride while you're able...you've only got ONE.
blue_69_malibu and davewho1 like this.

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 17, 1:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
gary

Wonder if he had any symptoms that he overlooked? I have many friends that had bypass surgery, luckily they sought medical treatment before a heart attack.
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 17, 2:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Riding motorcycles on Aruba on labor day last year, 18 days later doctor informs me i have stage 3 terminal cancer....not curable, but treatable. Now 1 year later after chemo and stem cell transplant, they find no trace of cancer. Life happens fast when you get in your sixties. The same feeling as if your gas pedal stuck wide open. The harder you try to slow down, the faster you go. Every day is precious guys...never take one for granted!
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 17, 2:56 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Great, great posts - Wild Bill and Deejay. Too true.

FWIW, Tom Petty was a very, very heavy chain smoker.....which I suspect played a role, unfortunately.

Here's what I posted to our local rag last night:

Been listening to Wildflowers, Casa Dega, Southern Accents, and The Best of Everything tonight...a lot.

Great songwriter and rock musician. One of the best books of music put together during my lifetime.

Very much enjoyed his live shows as well.

Never met the guy but I feel as if I lost a friend or family member. That's how much I related to his music.

The music of Petty (and Springsteen) have formed the soundtrack to my life more than everyone else combined. Their music has always been around me...physically and spiritually....whether on vinyl, cassette, CD, or digital.

If Tom is truly gone, may he rest in peace.

Thank you, Tom Petty....for all the tunes and good times!

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 17, 10:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

First, I'm very sad of Tom's passing and wish his family the best, the family has to be aware of just how much he was loved and surely will be missed by most everyone he touched.
He was a very talented and very peaceful man.
The memory of us 4 little hoodlums at the early junior high age sharing a joint, listening to his music will always be with me. My buddy Joe had the only true hi-fi, and his folks were both working stiffs so his basement was the pad of choice and his favorite album was Damn the Torpedoes.

Good stuff Tom!!
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 17, 11:51 PM
Rudy

Garage

R.I.P. Tom Petty..."YOU CAN STAND ME UP AT THE GATES OF HELL. BUT I WONT BACK DOWN".
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 17, 10:58 AM
Tech Team
Bryan

This is a tough one

I'll probably be around for a while seeing that I'm younger than most of you on here. But this one's got me thinking....what is going to happen when Mick, Keith, Steven Tyler, Springsteen, Seger, and all these other great guys are no longer around? We are going to be stuck with Beiber & Miley Cyrus and all these other knuckleheads. That is gonna suck!

'66 SS Clone
Fast Burn 385hp Crate 350 (for now)
Muncie M20 & 3.42 Posi
UMI Stage 2 Suspension all around
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 17, 11:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry66 View Post
This is a tough one

I'll probably be around for a while seeing that I'm younger than most of you on here. But this one's got me thinking....what is going to happen when Mick, Keith, Steven Tyler, Springsteen, Seger, and all these other great guys are no longer around? We are going to be stuck with Beiber & Miley Cyrus and all these other knuckleheads. That is gonna suck!
You got that right. The younger generation of musicians seems to like to OD and commit suicide and the older ones are ready for diapers now.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 17, 11:47 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Quote:
This is a tough one

There's plenty of music out there that is very good, you're just not going to hear it on commercial pop stations. Even Tom Petty was still putting out excellent music, though most "fans" probably don't know it. "Mojo" and "Hypnotic Eye" are both excellent albums.
blue_69_malibu likes this.

68 SS396
Team Chevelle Gold #14
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 17, 12:25 PM
Senior Tech Team
Alan

Quote:
This is a tough one

One thing I don't get is there's plenty of good older bands/artists releasing music, but I never hear it played on the radio. Seems where I live and travel, the rock station is stuck in year 2000 playing the same 20 songs from that year and yesteryear. Thankfully, when all the old dudes pass, we'll still have their recorded material to listen to. I feel the whole music industry has changed for the worse. You had defined era's of music prior to year 2000. It's been 17 years since and I haven't heard of any new era of music in that time period. I guess young kids don't want to be a rock n roll star?

Sad that Petty passed away. I wore out his Full Moon Fever cd. I bought his Playback box set and many other cd's back in the 90's. So many great songs. Things were good as long as Petty was still alive when you hit the hay at night. Crap, at least Keith Richards is still alive. He'll out live them all

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 17, 1:27 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1

Quote:
This is a tough one

TP was great and will be missed. I saw him live once on the '86 tour when he and the Heartbreakers backed up Dylan. They played mostly Dylan songs, unfortunately, which sucked cuz I'm not a fan.

This bothers me also because most of my favorites are in their 70s, and I'm not getting any younger either.

The bright side is their music is here forever.

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 17, 5:21 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene McGill View Post
There's plenty of music out there that is very good, you're just not going to hear it on commercial pop stations. Even Tom Petty was still putting out excellent music, though most "fans" probably don't know it. "Mojo" and "Hypnotic Eye" are both excellent albums.
Totally agree, Most of the music I listen to isn't on the radio, and unfortunately doesn't get the exposure that it may deserve, and yes those two albums are excellent,

1970 Chevelle (SS clone) 461, 10:1, edelbrock heads, 12 bolt 4:11, 850 mighty demon
auto, neal chance converter, ACES member #8548
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 740 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.