Firearm Opinions - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 17, 4:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Firearm Opinions

Don't know much about handguns. Going to take my wife to a couple of dealers to look for a gun she can carry. Need your opinions on revolver versus automatic. 380 or 9mm, any brands to avoid. I know many of you have handguns, so school me if you would, suggestions on brands, anything else you think would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 17, 5:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Garage
Re: Firearm Opinions

If you can have her go to a range where she can try a few different models. Try the .380 vs the 9mm. If she can handle the snap of the the 9mm, than by all means go with that over the .380. Handguns can be a personal choice thing. I love Glocks, but some people don't like the feel. Spend a bit more and get something quality. If it's for carry, you don't want to bet your life on a cheap gun. A small revolver can be a great carry piece, but will have a bit more trigger pull, on right out of the holster shoot situation. Double action on first pull. I like autos better, but I've been shooting since I was a little kid. Most of my handguns are Glocks, Sig Sauer, Beretta, and Colt. Never was a Smith & Wesson fan, but there's nothing wrong with them. Like I said there is a lot of personal preferences.

70 Chevelle, Vortecpro 496, TH400, Moser 12 bolt, custom Tom's Eaton posi, 3.73, UMI/Viking front suspension, PMT rear. Sniper efi, RobbMc PowerSurge.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 17, 5:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Start by just handling them in different situations. What feels the most comfortable and intuitive for a point of aim in her in hand is the best.

Caliber size is less important. While large calibers will inflict more damage, most encounters using a 9mm is virtually the same in effectiveness of a .45 auto in regards to shots needed to stop a situation.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instructions...All I need is the exploded view.
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 17, 5:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

For a 1st handgun for defense, revolvers are great, especially if you get one single/double action where you can cock the hammer for single action shot, or pull through with the trigger for double action. Easier to learn when you can see what happens with almost all parts of the gun exposed. I love a 1911 style .45, and used to have a Ruger Redhawk .44 magnum, you could shoot target loads all day with no drama, but heavy magnum loads could make some people uncomfortable shooting.
If you already have something, it is nice getting another gun that shares the same ammo.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 17, 6:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lance

Garage

Have a Glock 33 in 357 Sig for myself, the wife has a Ruger .380 with an extended grip on the clip...both function well and for concealed carry in our ever changing world
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 17, 7:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

We have a range here that you can rent handguns before you buy. My mom did this. She tried several before deciding. Ended up with a Berretta Tomcat in 32 auto. You just never know till you try a few.

If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 17, 7:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

I pack a Sig Sauer P229 in .40 S&W, but that is probably more gun than most women would be comfortable handling and firing.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 17, 7:39 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

for a new carrier, I'd recommend looking at a hammer less double action revolver.
No worries about forgetting to rack the gun, forgetting the safety was left on.
if your wife doesn't have a purse with a specific holster sewn in and going to swap purses, you don't have to worry so much of getting a loaded semi auto like a glock or other pistols that rely on the safety trigger getting caught on a set of keys, makeup, hair brush etc in a purse. the double action trigger has a heavy trigger pull for safety. jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 17, 8:04 PM
Team Member
carlo

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enganeer View Post
Start by just handling them in different situations. What feels the most comfortable and intuitive for a point of aim in her in hand is the best.

Caliber size is less important. While large calibers will inflict more damage, most encounters using a 9mm is virtually the same in effectiveness of a .45 auto in regards to shots needed to stop a situation.
I agree with John. go to a place with a big selection & plan on spending some time handling different guns. calibers don't mean much if it's uncomfortable to squeeze off a shot. or if it's too heavy to carry or shoot. my first was a 357 6'' barrel & I hated the weight of carting it around. my colt 380 fit in my back pocket without needing a holster. and that's where you'll find it most of the time. don't be afraid of going to a big chain store & handling a handful of pistols till you find the right one. good luck
hmardown

empty garage

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 17, 8:15 PM
Tech Team
Kurt

My wife carries a Keltec .380 .....
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 17, 8:51 PM
Tech Team
jeff

I bought my wife the glock 26, 9mm and she complained that the handle was to big... So I got her the glock 43 single stack, which she liked a lot better... We had the Crimson lasers installed on both of them...
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 17, 9:49 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Ruger® SP101® Standard Double-Action Revolver Models

As many have said, you have to actually hold the gun in your hand to see what fits/feels good. If you can, try to shoot the model before you buy the gun.

IMHO, a Revolver is the way to go for a novice. No jamming or stove-piping in a potential life or death situation. Point and shoot if need be.

Ruger's are not sexy guns....but they work. And are built like tanks....in America. Smith & Wesson also makes a good revolver.

With this, you can shoot easy handling .38 rounds at the range but then carry .38+P or even 357 Magnum if you wish. (FWIW, I hate shooting 357 magnum and I weigh...um.....200 lbs. Not a good round for a woman, IMHO.)

I also insist on a hammer on my revolvers. Shooting SA is much easier/better than shooting DAO. I HATE DAO.

If going the Semi Auto route, I'd go with 9MM or 45ACP.....and would avoid .40S&W. I prefer Ruger, Beretta, and Glock semi-autos.

At the end of the day, your wife will want a gun that is easy to carry, comfortable to shoot, and will go BANG every time you pull the trigger.
70CHEVELLE396 likes this.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 17, 12:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

I agree with Dave. Find a store with a range and range rental guns. Either take a gun safety course or CCW course. Find out how to safely handle a firearm. Hold some, shoot some. Find a good, local store with sales pros that are interested in your and her comfort and satisfaction.

Our local store has demos with a different brands where you can shoot different models of the brand. I went to the Glock weekend, shot and found the model I want to carry.

Don't go cheap. You need to be comfortable with your carry firearm....

Steve O.
70CHEVELLE396 likes this.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 17, 12:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Follow the advice given and find one that is comfortable for her to hold and try to shoot one before purchasing. A friend of mine just bought a compact Sccy 9mm and he likes it. I would also look at Taurus - good prices and excellent warranty - they repaired my Raging Bull .454 Casull no charge (I am the second owner - it was shaving lead a little bit).

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 17, 12:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Its like asking, Whats the best color to paint a Chevelle. Try a few different styles and when you are comfortable & know what you are doing, Make your purchase. Most of time I carry a .380 Stainless AMT. ( hydro Shocks) Just bought a S & W " Air Weight " S. Nose-38-5 shot / D.A. Revolver.
Love the new 38 S&W. A big cannon is nice, Getting hit with a .22 Hollow Point at 15-20 Ft. will get your attention.
I would rather be Judged by 12,,, Than carried by " 6 ".......
Bob

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 887 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.