Why there is no E(bay) in FAANG - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

3Likes
  • 2 Post By Andy69
  • 1 Post By bikeron

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 17, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Why there is no E(bay) in FAANG

FAANG = Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, and Google - the companies with the highest stock valuations.

I think I've figured out why there is no E on that list.

Ebay throttles, it's common knowledge. Everyone who has tried to make a business on Ebay knows there are hidden selling limits, despite repeated denials by Ebay. No matter how much you try to expand, you eventually hit a brick wall. So to expand your business, you have to do so outside of Ebay. I've done this by opening a storefront with Shopify. I still get the majority of my sales via Ebay - but I use a third party app as an interface between Shopify and Ebay which creates my Ebay listings for me from those I already have on Shopify. I have many more items for sale on Shopify than I do on Ebay.

That same third party app shuttles all Ebay buyer information over to my Shopify store, including email addresses (which neither Ebay nor Paypal will allow you to download). Those email addresses are important - more on that in a minute.

Part of my get away from Ebay plan includes things not related to my parts business, namely using Facebook to sell products from a different Shopify store, which are then shipped directly from the manufacturer.

I've been learning a lot in the last couple of months. This type of selling is completely different from Ebay. You have to create your own audience via advertising. I've started advertising on FB and I'm getting some sales. But here's the thing - every guru out there says the same thing: the money is in the list. Eventually, you end up with a list of people who have either visited your website or purchased, and have willingly given their email. This list is gold - potential buyers who have already indicated their interest in your store by visiting or buying. You can then create marketing campaigns that target these receptive people and make additional sales.

Back to Ebay. Since my third party app transfers the email addresses of people who have purchased from my Ebay store, I have a literally gigantic database of people who have indicated they are interested in what I have to sell, because they have already bought some of it. If I choose, I can market to these people - specials, discounts, bundling, etc., and here's the thing, even though Ebay is responsible for each contact, and Ebay has willingly allowed the third party app to transfer that data, when it comes to any email marketing campaign I run, they are cut completely out of the loop. They get nothing, nada, zilch, zip, zero.

So by trying to limit me, they have shut themselves out of a commission on hundreds and perhaps thousands of dolllars worth of sales.

Nice work, Ebay. See you in the garbage heap.
RAMBO and langss like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 17, 1:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

Re: Why there is no E(bay) in FAANG

Between Offer Up, Letgo, and Facebook, no real reason to use eBay for common or cheap stuff.

Couple of junkers and a few clunkers.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 17, 1:41 PM
T_R
Senior Tech Team
Tom

I don't like that if you sell over x amount of cars a year, I think it was 6, they permanently designate you as a high volume seller and each new listing is now $50. $50 a pop gets expensive especially with the high percentage of deadbeat bidders.

Tom

66 Chevelle crew cab 454 FiTech TKO 600 5 speed
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 17, 6:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Just got an email via the contact page on my external website. A guy was looking at some door latches I had in my Ebay store and said he'd rather buy them from someone external like me. He buys a lot of old Ford parts and said a lot of the sellers he buys from have moved to off-ebay sites and when he receives something he bought on ebay it always has business cards, magnets, etc in it with the external site web address. He expressed his displeasure about not being able to find what he needs on Ebay using search, instead having to go directly to the stores of sellers and search there.

Seems to tie in with my experience that ebay hides listings.

Ebay is toast. Alibaba is going to eat their lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 17, 8:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post

Ebay is toast. Alibaba is going to eat their lunch.
Then Alibaba will eat your lunch..
dyno jonn likes this.

My car is here:

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 12:03 AM
Senior Tech Team
Alan

EBay's revenue and net income have been flat since they spun off PayPal. Three years of treading water. Meanwhile paypal has increased rev and net income. With the tricks you're describing, it's clear eBay is on the wrong path. I never buy or even look at eBay and I've had an account since 2000 or 2001. Cool stuff there, but I can't stand the whole auction deal.

But it's cool you're making a good go of what used to be your side business. Thumbs up!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 8:24 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Different business models, so you cannot comapre E with the rest of the FAANG.

BTW, if its Chinese internet stocks you seek to invest in I suggest you take a look at Weibo.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 824 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.