Team Chevelle banner

Sad day.

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Freddy Mercado 
#1 ·
A freshly rebuilt 427 with heads. the engine was assembled a couple months ago. i had the engine sitting in car for about 3 weeks with the water already in it. (i just had no time to start it up.) today i had time to start it up and break in the cam. I was cracking the engine to start it up i tried about 10-15 times. i could not get it started . it would start for about a second and then stumble and shoot smoke or sometimes fire from the carb.. so i decided to look at the water level in the radiator and boom the water was the color of oil. it also smelled like oil. i drained the radiator. the last bit of water was foamy. worst case scenario its a cracked block. but the machine shop would have noticed it right? what can be causing this? (no trans coolers, its a 4 speed.)

#2 ·
Are you sure the radiator didn't have oil in it before from some failure ? How is the oil level in the engine ? How does the oil on the dipstick look ?

Its a little unusual for oil to get in the coolant, especially if the engine never really ran long enough to build up oil pressure. Usually it is the other way around, the coolant gets into the oil.

Sounds like you don't have the timing set properly or something is major wrong with the carb.

#4 ·
I don't believe so, the radiator is new. never used until now. The oil level has been consistent, the level has moved very much. and the oil looks brand new. the same way it looked when I put it in. Yea I believe the carb is not operating properly. I am going to pull out another carb from my other car and see if it starts up with that one.

#3 ·
What Bill said. Pressurized oil is not near cooling passages. It’s more likely water gets in to oil through drainback. If there isn’t water in the oil I would not be concerned yet. Borrow a pressure tester to test the integrity of the cooling system before you give up.

#6 ·
How was the block cleaned ? If your engine builder didn't clean it out real well before installing the freeze plugs you might be seeing junk that was in the water passages in the block.

I would get it running and just keep an eye out on the oil. If the level stays ok you probably dont have a problem.

#10 ·
Just so you know.... Bill is spot on with the block being properly cleaned. I bought a Goodwrench 350 for my Blazer. GM has specific guidelines for the instillation, one of which is having the Radiator cleaned or a new one. Shortly before the previous engine went down I had replaced the Radiator, so flushing it before I did the R&R was a no brainer. Fast Forward to the engine is changed and it runs great except.... "HOT" ...way hotter than any of the previous engines ever ran, and sitting in traffic would make one very nervous... So since its under warranty and I have receipts, I took it to the dealer. They only looked at the truck for a second and said CORE SAND. They didn't offer me a loaner, but they took the truck in on warranty and whatever they did, when they were done the service manager showed me a plastic bag with about a pound of core sand. The Radiator had been removed and a new thermostat had been installed.......Point being if the core is full of crap, its gong to end up in your Radiator.

#12 ·
Sorry for the late response. I've been busy with work. I cracked open the engine. Everything seems to be fine. The head gaskets were in good condition.. The heads are not damaged either. Must be the block.. You guys think it is worth it to take the block for magnaflux or other testing. or should I go out and buy another block. Im pretty sure i won't find another 427, probably a 454.. but the thing is I have all the components for a 427 .030 over block.... Um at this point im considering a LS1 to be done with it. whats your guys opinions?

#13 ·
I'd ask your machine shop to inspect the engine but you'll have to pull it and bring it to them, did you get it to run for cam break in? cam would be a good idea to take a close look at it now also for flat lobe or anything abnormal if you didn't get it broke in

#17 ·
Could incorrect to damaged gaskets allow oil to get in the water?

BTW, a 454 and 427 block are functionally the same. Your 427 rotating assembly would drop right in as long as the block is bored the same amount as your 427 block is.

I'm going to talk to my machine shop today and see what are my options. Thanks. I haven't taken out that cam yet but ill inspect it when I do.

#15 ·
Did you ever get to run it for about a half hour or so ? from what I read from your posts it souds like you never started it up.If so, it sounds like the timing isn't allowing it to start and run long enough to break in the cam and/or to find out what's wrong with the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.