Team Chevelle banner

69 turn signals not working

8K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  RichF 
#1 ·
I did a search and did not find an answer. 69 Malibu turn signals do not work. The flasher lights all work and the dash lights flash also . The turn signals do not come on at all and the dash light (for the signals) does not come on when signals are activated. Car is new to me and do not know any history on it. Thanks for any help. RichF

#5 ·
Might be up in the column. There may be a way to test the turn signals through the wires at the base of the column?. If you can get the turn.signals to flash there then it would pretty much assure you it is up under the steering wheel.

#6 ·
Thanks. I guess it is now down to one of my favorite things to do. Chasing down wires. I have had the top plate off on another 69 tilt column when I needed to tighten up the bolts on a loose tilt wheel. Very interesting wiring under the dash. An after market air conditioner (restomod brand I think) was added to this car at some point.RichF

#7 ·
Time to get out the wiring diagram and the voltmeter and measure to ground at various point to find the issue. Wiring is simple, but a pain to check/fix. You need a path for current from the battery/alt to and from the load. All current from the source flowing through the load returns to the source. The path is typically wires for + and the body/frame for -.

#9 ·
I had a similar problem with a car I just did work on. It ended up that a reproduction front turn signal housing wasn't grounding to the body. The turn signal assembly was reproduction and the socket was not grounding to the mounting bracket. I had to drill a small hole between the socket and housing, insert a small screw and it made the necessary ground. Very odd problem, a friend pointed me in the right direction on that one.

It can still be bad connections, loose plug or bad ground.

Good luck.

Woj

#11 ·
Could be wrong but I believe he stated the lights are flashing/working when using the flashers. So if that is the case it is exclusive to the turn signal circuit.

#12 ·
Dean replied " What flasher lights all work? "
What I meant is that when I push the button on the column to make the emergency flashers come on all four of the lights flash - 2 turn signal lights in front and the 2 in the back of the car. Also the indicator lights in the dash flash as well so it seems the lights are all operational. I have all of the schematics for the car. I just don't fit under the dash as well as I used to. I have checked all of the fuses and all are good.

#13 ·
Have you checked for voltage on the purple (or violate) wire at the turn signal connector on the steering column? If you have voltage there, its most likely a bad switch.

#18 ·
Dean and oldcutlass- Actually the backup lights do not work. After your last posts I pulled the backup light bulbs and both are good. But I looked at the switch on the column that would engage the neutral switch and and also the backup lights there are no wires connected to it.
I guess I didn't state that this car was originally a automatic and has been changed over to a 4 speed. I will have to figure out where the wires or connector that should be attached to this are. I wonder if I could use a jumper wire to see if that is the problem.
I have only had this car for a week and the blinkers seem to be the only electrical problem. But there is a long list of other issues I need to deal with.
Thank you guys for your help. I never would of thought that the backup lights had any connection to the blinkers. I will dig into this tomorrow.

#20 ·
I am thinking that the wires going to the neutral switch must be jumper ed or I would not be able to start the car. There is no safety to be sure the clutch is depressed so you cannot start the car while in gear. I will also need to add a safety clutch switch at a later time.
I got this car because I wanted another project and I guess this will keep me busy a long time. ha ha.

#24 ·
On a 1969 Chevelle, the turn signals, back-up lamps and “IGN” add-on port on the fuse block are all controlled by the single 20 amp fuse labeled “DIR SIG BACK UP”.

If this fuse is blown or the clips holding the fuse have excessive corrosion causing an excessive voltage drop, you will have no turn signals or back-up lights.

#25 ·
I will check the purple wire and the turn signal connector tomorrow and see what I get. I will also pull the 20 amp fuse and look for corrosion on the connectors although the fuse panel looks pretty clean.
The car was originally an automatic. Someone must have jumpered the wires to the neutral safety switch since the car will start even though there are no wires connected to the neutral safety switch on the column . Thanks Coppertop for the info. Good to know. Back at it tomorrow.

#26 ·
Ok, the purple wire has 12 volts at the connector to the steering column and checked the fuse holder for any corrosion and it is clean. I guess this may point to the switch for the turn signals. i cannot see the pink and green wires that were on the neutral safety switch.
I guess I will need to drop the steering wheel and pull the dash to see everything in there.

#28 ·
I'm thinking your directional switch went south because there is voltage at the connector. You don't need to remove the dash to see whats going on. The original NSS switch is on the column and the wiring should be close to it.

#27 ·
I think the pink and light green are for the reverse lights. Those should be in a connector that is at the base of the steering column. As a matter of fact you will need to find those to make your reverse lights work with a 4 speed (assume this is a Hurst Competition) and this https://www.jegs.com/i/Hurst/530/2480003/10002/-1.
Which mounts to the rear stop on the shifter housing. Need to run one wire to the pink from the switch and one wire to the green from the switch.
If you just jump the pink to the green the reverse lights should come on.

#29 ·
BLM - Thanks for the information on the back up light switch. I will be working with that later on. It is a Hurst shifter.
oldcutass- Yeah I am thinking it is the switch also. I have done some research on that and sounds like you need to replace the switch and run the wires down through the column. Thanks for the help. RichF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.