Wiring - Chevelle Tech
American Auto Wire

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 19, 9:04 PM Thread Starter

Wiring

Good day. I have recently purchased wiring harness 500981. I have taken all wiring completely out. It was a rats nest. To many splices. My question is should I put my dash back together then start the wiring or start wiring then put dash in. With the dash out I have more room. But I don’t wanna start wiring and have a lot of wire left over or cut wire short. Appreciate it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 19, 9:25 PM
Tech Team
Rick

Re: Wiring

I did my AAW harness with the dash in but the dash cover removed. It also helped that at that time I did not have a windshield installed but it could still be done with the glass installed.

With the dash installed, its easy to lay out where the wires go, especially that dash harness. Just one guy's opinion here.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 19, 9:40 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the feed back. I just didn’t want to cut wires to short. Dash in makes sense. Any other advice for a beginner..??

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 19, 10:06 PM
Tech Team
Rick

Re: Wiring

My only complaint about my AAW "Classic Update" harness was about the flasher relays. The turn signal relay has a well marked and explained location for it on the fuse panel. Much less so for the hazard flasher. It goes up into an obscure nearly unmarked location on the top left hand corner of the fuse box. A quick call to the very helpful AAW help desk solved this for me.

I also had to depin and repin the ribbon connector at the bottom of the steering column to adapt things to the AAW harness but this was not an AAW problem. This repin job took me 20 minutes to figure out how to insert my tiniest screwdriver to do the depin but it was easy after that.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 19, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate all the advise. I will see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in