Chevelle Tech - View Single Post - Recovering '70 SS Bucket Seats
View Single Post
post #23 of (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 06, 3:38 PM
Pro67Chevy
Tech Team
Jim

Send a message via AIM to Pro67Chevy
Re: Recovering '70 SS Bucket Seats

I just did my seat bottoms. The method i used worked great and the seams (bolster area) came out really good. If you don't have rods you can get the same size rod from Home Dept. I was going to use caothanger wire but it looked too thin for me.

Cut the foam, carpet, burlap, and everything in the bolster seam. This way you can fish a pair a pliers up through the bottom of the seat and pull the bolster wire tight to the spring fro hog ringing.

after you have your burlap, foam, etc. on the frame put on your cover (front to back) and hog ring the back of the seat only.

then get a pair of long pliars and from the bottom pry apart with your fingers the backing and faom until you can reach the wire for the bolster and grab it with your pliers and pull it down until it reaches the seat spring and hog it down with your other hand.

The first hog ring is hard to do especially by yourself. but once you get the first (middle) one done the rest are not so bad. Make sure you go all the way to the back and all the way to the front.

From there do the front and sides and that's about it.

Lesson learned:
Have yourself a nice assortment of different pliers right next to your leg. Have different sizes, shapes, lengths, etc. This really helped me out.

good luck.

Jim M.
'67 Velle
th-400
12-bolt,4.10s
My Chevy...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It's all in the smoke!"

No time slips yet, 2013!!!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome