Chevelle Tech - View Single Post - NHRA to cut Pro Stock field in half at nine races next season.
View Single Post
post #16 of (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 17, 6:13 PM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Re: NHRA to cut Pro Stock field in half at nine races next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
I understand that

I bet that they don't make a dime on the sportsman classes after all of the associated expenses. I would love to see the cost for operating a national even and I am sure it is available somewhere online if you have time to look for it.

And that is part of the problem. What happened to racing for the fun of racing ? The same guys that are complaining about payouts are the ones rolling into a national event with a 100K motor home towing a 50K trailer and a with a golf cart etc etc etc. Compare it to some of my boater customers that have 100K boats with two blown big block Chevy's. They have the 60K dually to tow it with. They go out and use $600 in fuel alone on a weekend, every weekend. What payout do they get ??? Not a penny.

If you cant afford to go race at a national event then you shouldn't. Stick with local races and have a good time.

I am on class racer two or three times a day and I know how they feel about it.

I know that I am in the minority thinking this way, but thats my feelings. I had an NHRA competition license and raced for 20+ years. I never had the money to build a class car or a .90 car to go to a national event. I was absolutely thrilled getting in my car and running at MIR or a few other local tracks. I put almost 3000 passes on it before I sold it. I won a little bit of money but that was never my reason for racing. I just loved getting in the car and going down the track in 10 seconds. I could afford it and had a ton of fun doing it. Thats the way it should be
I guess we'll just agree to disagree on NHRA's financials. FWIW I raced in NHRA Stock Eliminator from '76 through '83, won a division points meet and a couple class wallys. Held the B/SA 1/8 mile national record for a few months. Back then we racers would get "goody bags" from manufacturers at national events that was worth a few bucks but that doesn't happen anymore. Most of the manufacturers have disappeared from the Sportsman pits because NHRA raised the fees to be there too high.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome