Starter Harness Wiring - Chevelle Tech
1999 -- Tech Files - reference area
1000's of previous topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 99, 6:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Guys, this is stupid, but I just rebuilt a motor on a '72 SS 402 and when I went to reinstall the starter, I forgot which wire went to the "R" and "S" posts. I think the large guage wire goes to the "S" (Start) post and the much smaller guage wire goes to the "R" (Run) post. I just want to verify if this is correct before trying to fire it off. Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 99, 6:12 PM
Tech Team

You should be correct. The S post generally has a 8-10GA wire running from the ignition switch to click on the solenoid, and the R (I'm assuming) provides accessory power or something (dunno, never tried using it).

And of course the big fat terminal goes to your positive cable.

If you've got it backwards it should try to start when you turn the key to run, so worse thing that can happen is you have to switch the wires back around.

Wes
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 99, 11:14 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bryan

Hold on. The S stand for seloniod, The R stands for radio. The 10 gauge wire goes to the big stud that the battery cable goes to. The other 2 wires, the radio one you don't need and the other one goes to the S. The R post is to eliminate some of the static in the radio. One of the smaller wires goes to R the other to S. If you mix up these 2 wires the car won't start. If you switch the wires after the car should start. I hope this helps

------------------
Bryan Shook
Burgettstown, Pa
1972 El Camino

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 99, 1:04 PM
Gold Member
Gene

The first post is right, except R is not for accesories or radio ( as stated in the second post). It is hot only while the solenoid is engaged and is connected to the coil to provide 12v to the coil to help the engine start faster with a little more spark. Once you release the key, your back to the normal 9-10 volts at the coil. If you still have the original wiring, s = purple,r = yellow.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 99, 10:15 PM
Gold Member

I think that Gene hit it right here. Many cars that came with electric starters ( 1913 and later) did not have radios. But the cars with 12 volt systems did have Resistors to manage the voltage to the coil. I think that the "R" stands for RESISTOR . The large gage wire goes to the "S" terminal.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 99, 3:18 AM
Tech Team

I thought "R" meant Run & "S" meant Start??
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 99, 11:39 AM
Tech Team
Michael

Gene is right. He beat me to the post. The yellow wire from the "R" terminal supplies an extra 12 volts to the coil at start-up only.

If you disconnect the yellow wire at the coil and hook up a voltmeter you can see this for your self. With ignition switch on there is zero volts at the yellow wire. But when the starter is engaged you'll see the voltmeter jump to incidicate full battery voltage.

A start-up aid only.

------------------
??michael j Team Chevelle Gold #77
70 Chevelle SS396 4sp, Fathom Blue/White Stripes - Canadian built

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 7272 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.