66 chevelle hood louvers - Two diff. kinds - Chevelle Tech
1999 -- Tech Files - reference area
1000's of previous topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 99, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I was wanting to know if anyone knew why some of the 66 chevelle hood louvers are much heavier than others. I have two sets, the ones that came on my original hood are much heavier than another set that I got with an extra hood when I was restoring my car. Why the difference? Is one rarer than the other? Is there an advantage to one over the other? Any help in answering these questions would be appreciate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 99, 6:29 PM

According to the 'CHEVELLE SS RESTORATION GUIDE' written by Paul A. Herd, there was only ont\e set of louvers. Part # 3891430 was used on both sides. Maybe the lighter set is a reproduction. By the way, the part number for the left base is 3891431-LH and the right base is 3891432-RH. Hope this helps.

Bob Murray
Aces #01941
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 99, 8:22 PM
JSL
Tech Team

One set could be made by a different manufacturer Gm changes manufactures all the time

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 99, 11:07 AM
Gold Member

My advise - don't rely on Herd's book for accurate part numbers!! What the book contains (along with lots of misinformation) is numbers from the GM assembly manuals. These are often NOT post-production part numbers. According to the GM parts manuals, the louvers for the 66 SS hood are 3890967 (LH) and 3890968 (RH). The inserts are listed as 3890969.

Here's an example where you'd never find discontinued louvers and inserts by relying on the Herd book. See the post re: 70 master cylinder for another example

------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
rseit[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 7584 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.