SS Cowl Induction Hood - Chevelle Tech
1999 -- Tech Files - reference area
1000's of previous topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 13th, 99, 6:57 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I would like to know what parts are needed for the "complete" cowl induction hood. I know of the air filter housing, the seal, the steel ring and flapper (I've seen this all in the Ground-Up Catalog) - but where I'm confused is in the vacuum controls. I know there is a vacuum control that operates the flapper, but I understand there is another control that lets air into the top of the filter/carb setup? I have a '72 SS 402 with regular cowl hood and would like to build up a complete induction hood to have as a spare (nothing comes off this chevelle that I don't keep!). I've been told that the '72 SS was not available with a cowl induction hood, yet another source says Chevy only played it down in advertisement literature. Help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 13th, 99, 7:02 AM
Tech Team
Mark

Grap a Year One Chevelle catalogue, it shows it all. After 70 the cowl induction flapper hood was only available with the 454 engine option.

Mark
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 13th, 99, 9:42 AM
Tech Team
Kevin

I believe that you can get cowl induction with any big block in 1970, 396 or 454.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 13th, 99, 9:42 AM
Team Member
Tom

Kevin,
I just went through this with a 70 Malibu. I bought EVERYTHING from Original Parts Group and got a nice discount. There are a lot of parts that you don't think about, and a good sales person can help a lot. Whoever you use, ask for a sales person who is very familiar with CI hoods. Many of the sales persons are weak in this area. I talked to, and highly recommend Jon at OPG.
CI hoods WERE available on 70-72 cars. In Mar 1972, I special ordered a full pwr, BB, 4sp, posi, air AND CI hood Concours wagon. What's left of the wrecked, rusted shell is behind my ex's barn. ALL the good stuff is on my son's 71 Malibu/SS clone.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DZAUTO (edited 05-13-99).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 7511 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.