1965 Z16 Convertible!!!!! - Chevelle Tech
1999 -- Tech Files - reference area
1000's of previous topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 99, 9:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I was reading an old Popular Hot Rodding from August 1970 and in the Tech Tips section towards the back of the magazine read this:
RARE BIRD
I own a 1965 Chevelle convertible that has to be very rare.It has the 396 engine that was introduced that year.Big port heads aluminum intake Holley carb,and Hydraulic cam.What have I got here?
PHR goes on to tell the guy he has one of 200 Chevelles with a Z16 option.Little do they know this guy owns the only convertible Z16 made!The owners name is Terry Zapolski from Detroit MI.Did they ever find the only Z16 convertible made?Perhaps someone can locate this guy and his mysterious car!That is if he still has it.This is almost 30 years ago.......

------------------
Dean Ciampi(Spring Hill,FL)
Autumn Gold 1970 LS6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold #52 Aces #3094

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 99, 9:33 PM
Tech Team
Garry

uhh...can you say "lucky guy"? I would love to be him, what if he didn't know what he had, & it ended up...NO! Think positive...lets find that car people & restore it & make a National Chevelle Museum! I'll put in $5 to finding the car.

------------------
Jay W.
In-the-works 67 Malibu
surferwagons.8m.com

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 99, 1:14 AM
Len
Tech Team

Dean,

I have that issue, and read that 10 or more years ago and talked to Meekins at the Chevelle club about it.

I also did a search for "Zapolski" in the Detroit area phone directory and called a few (there's not very many). I talked to a person who was supposed to be a relative of his and I explained that I was looking for a car he used to own... well she wasn't NONE TOO friendly. I suppose if I was from that area, I TOO might be leary of a weird phone call out of the blue supposedly from Oklahoma.

I went on and widened my search after I first got on the internet a few years ago, and found a T. Zapolski located in Ohio (northern part, Cleveland I think) which ISN'T THAT far from the Detroit area.

I sent a letter hoping to hear back from this person that they, (T. Zapolski) WAS or WASN'T the "TERRY" ZAPOLSKI from the '70 magazine letter... I never heard a word.

Makes you wonder doesn't it???!!!!

Good luck.

Len

------------------
our Website: sites.netscape.net/thebowtiegang/homepage

[This message has been edited by Len (edited 09-29-99).]

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 99, 3:31 PM
Tech Team

The guy that originally bought that car from GM was a student at GMI and his name was /is Doug Richmond. Doug lived in the Detroit area at that time. He used to take me for rides in the car (I was 13yrs old) because if he didn't I would bug him until he did! I moved to Florida and lost contact with Doug so I don't know what ever happened to him or the car. I have tried to find him by use of the internet but to no avail.

------------------
Team Chevelle Gold #33
ACES Member #02913
Chevelle Club of Michigan
Livonia, Michigan

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 99, 6:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Tom,I guess your friend Doug sold the car to Terry on or before 1970.....

------------------

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 06, 6:46 PM

Re: 1965 Z16 Convertible!!!!!

Hi everyone. I used to own a 1965 convertible chevelle when I was 16. It was stock with the 283/2 speed powerglide and the bench seat. It got wore out more and set outside for sometime and deteriated more and for rent money I sold it for about 200 or so to someone who wanted the frame for the top.
I never knew there was a convertible z16.
Thanks for sharing that info. If you guys find out anything else about it let me know.
Laterz
tommy
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 06, 10:55 PM
Tech Team

wow....bet its worth a couple of dollars!

1965 Chevelle Malibu 283/195hp
1968 Camaro 327/210hp
1968 Honda mini trail Z50 KO
(aces #1335. David G.)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 06, 9:32 PM
Senior Tech Team
wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65L79
wow....bet its worth a couple of dollars!
haha, he could name his own price!

Wes B in utah
warmed over stock black 67 SS clone
4 Speed butternut yellow 67 SS project
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 11, 12:19 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 View Post
I was reading an old Popular Hot Rodding from August 1970 and in the Tech Tips section towards the back of the magazine read this:
RARE BIRD
I own a 1965 Chevelle convertible that has to be very rare.It has the 396 engine that was introduced that year.Big port heads aluminum intake Holley carb,and Hydraulic cam.What have I got here?
PHR goes on to tell the guy he has one of 200 Chevelles with a Z16 option.Little do they know this guy owns the only convertible Z16 made!The owners name is Terry Zapolski from Detroit MI.Did they ever find the only Z16 convertible made?Perhaps someone can locate this guy and his mysterious car!That is if he still has it.This is almost 30 years ago.......

------------------

I went to school with Terry and rode in this car. One time we had taken it up to over 160mph while being chased by a truck with a Road Runner engine in it. Terry had the car stolen once and it was found with the top half of the engine taken. He did replace everything and had it on the road again. I remember that is was bright yellow with an all aluminum body and if I remember right the car's weight wasnt more than 2300lbs. I believe he had a 427??? engine in it and a 4 speed muncie trans, I think. It has been over 40 years ago. After High school I lost track of him and the car. I am trying to find him and I came across this so I felt the need to ad what I know. At the time I dont beleive that when he bought it that he paid anything more than $1000. for it. Yeah I also wonder if he only has stored the car what it would be worth today. But back then cars only went DOWN in value and not up. I would dare to say that he did enjoy the car and got quite a bit of use out of it. Beleive me that when he did a hole shot you were pushed back into the back seat. The car really had some power.
Well if anyone finds Terry, tell his Dave is looking for him from Henry Ford calss of 69.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 11, 12:37 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger1640 View Post
I went to school with Terry and rode in this car. One time we had taken it up to over 160mph while being chased by a truck with a Road Runner engine in it. Terry had the car stolen once and it was found with the top half of the engine taken. He did replace everything and had it on the road again. I remember that is was bright yellow with an all aluminum body and if I remember right the car's weight wasnt more than 2300lbs. I believe he had a 427??? engine in it and a 4 speed muncie trans, I think. It has been over 40 years ago. After High school I lost track of him and the car. I am trying to find him and I came across this so I felt the need to ad what I know. At the time I dont beleive that when he bought it that he paid anything more than $1000. for it. Yeah I also wonder if he only has stored the car what it would be worth today. But back then cars only went DOWN in value and not up. I would dare to say that he did enjoy the car and got quite a bit of use out of it. Beleive me that when he did a hole shot you were pushed back into the back seat. The car really had some power.
Well if anyone finds Terry, tell his Dave is looking for him from Henry Ford calss of 69.

Oh also it is was 1968 or 1969 that I believe he bought the car because we graduated from High school in 1969. I went into the service after that and we lost touch. I believe that he bought it from some guy that lived in Northen oakland county. I remember that he had told me at the time that there may have been 1 hard top and 1 convertible that was ever made. And he got the convertible.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 11, 10:03 AM
Tech Team
Greg

Send a message via AIM to Lugnut76

The hard top went across last night 1/22/11 on Barrett-Jackson: This is the info I coped from there site

Ultra rare real RPO Z16 Malibu SS 396/375hp engine, one of 201 produced and only approximately 74 still exist. This car is listed in the Z16 Registry as the 3rd car made

This 1965 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu SS Z16 is one of 201 produced and one of approximately 74 that still exist today. This special model was only available in red, black and yellow. This Z16 is listed in the Z16 Registry as the 3rd car produced including the prototype. It is also the first red on red Z16. It was sold new at Rydell Chevrolet in Grand Forks, ND and has not left the state of MN since new. It has had 5 owners, all of whom can be accounted for. The car retains its original trim tag and all of its unique Z16 only features. The car retains its original sheet metal except for the rear quarter panels which were cut for larger tires early on in the cars life. Factory options include Z16 performance package, 396/375hp engine, M20 4-speed transmission, 12-bolt 3.31 gear rear end, power brakes, power steering, AM/FM hi-fi stereo with multiplex 4 speaker, dash mounted clock, bucket seats with console, deluxe front and rear seat belts, driver side remote mirror, 160mph speedometer with tachometer and gauges.

SOLD

$140,000.00

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...265&pop=0&it=1

-Greg

1970 Chevelle SS 454
-UMI Swaybars
-UMI Rear/Upper & Lower Control Arm Kit
-Upgraded stereo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3043 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.