Chevelle Parts at SS396.com
GROUND UP & SS396.com
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle
[ Team Chevelle ] [ Tech Archive ] [ Chevelle Tech Postings ]
The big disclaimer;
The object of this section is to post items that are based on a "been there, done that" philosophy. However, nothing can be perfect!! Please keep this in mind as you read the following sections.
Wes. Vann + Schurkey
Latest Article - Adjusting Automatic Chokes: A Semi-Universal Approach, by Schurkey Web version - Download/Printable (800K Adobe format)
The Technical Reference Series
Bodywork and Interiors
1. Windshield glass R&R (1/10/00, Wes Vann)
2. Floor pan replacement in a Chevelle (3/22/97, Wes Vann)
3. Hanging doors and fenders (7/8/97, Wes Vann)
4. Power windows & door panels for a 64 Chevelle (8/29/97, Wes Vann)
5. Drains for sliding glass on a 2 door wagon (6/30/97, Wes Vann)
6. Glovebox Lock Removal adobe pdf (Gene McGill)
Suspension (Front and Rear)1. "Tall" spindle disk Brakes on Chevelles (3/3/99, Wes Vann)
2. "Short" spindle disk brakes on Chevelles (4/1/97, Wes Vann)
3. Boxing rear arms and sway bars for a Chevelle (6/28/98,Wes Vann)
4. Replacing Bushings & Ball Joints on upper arms (7/4/01,Wes Vann)
5. Jim Shea's Power Steering pages (01/01/2013, Jim Shea)
6. Body Bushing Replacement - GM "A" Body (October 2008, Schurkey)
Download/Printable (500K Adobe format)
Engines (and attached accessories)
1. Small block to big block conversion (8/25/97, Bob Tiley)
2. Starters & Solenoids (3/28/97, Wes Vann)
3. Distributors including HEI's (03/24/08, Wes Vann and Schurkey)
4. Alternator conversions (10/7/98, Wes Vann)
5. Adjusting Valves (9/28/98, Wes Vann & Bob Tiley)
6. Windage Screen Installation (John Winship)
7. Adjusting Automatic Chokes: A Semi-Universal Approach, (April 2009, Schurkey)
Download/Printable (800K Adobe format)
Transmissions and Rear-ends
1. Useful gearing formulas (4/3/00, Wes Vann)
2. Manual Transmissions (3/3/99, Wes Vann)
3. Automatic Transmissions (4/29/00, Wes Vann)
4. Converting to a 4 speed (11/26/98, Wes Vann)
5. Installing a Tremec 5 speed in a Chevelle (Michael Pell)
6. TH350 replacing Powerglide (4/1/97, Wes Vann)
7. 700R4 Trans conversion (8/14/97, Wes Vann)
8. Automatic Transmission Cooler Lines (7/4/01,Wes Vann)
1. "Terms and Phrases" (continually being updated)
2. Thoughts on security (4/29/00, Wes Vann)
3. Hood lock for a 65 Chevelle (4/29/00, Wes Vann)
4. Fuel Gauge Problems (8/9/98)
5. Aftermarket Gauges (3/5/99, Wes Vann)
6. Vintage Air installation in a 64 Chevelle (11/26/98, Wes Vann)
7. Installing a Hidden Stereo & infrared link (7/7/01, Wes Vann)
Tools and Materials
1. Welders (4/12/97, Wes Vann)
2. Volt/Ohm meters (Wes Vann)
3. Electrical connections, Crimpers, Soldering irons, Relays (5/13/97, Wes Vann)
4. Tubing and Tools (9/28/98, Wes Vann)
5. Cool Tools that don't fit anywhere else (5/1/97, Wes Vann)
6. Fillers, Primers, & required tools (4/12/97, Wes Vann)
These links are to web pages that I think are very informative and well constructed. (In other words, I couldn't do a better job!) They are "off site" and in order to return, you will have to use your "back button"!
- Heidt's Hot Rod shop has a web site for their products. They make suspension set-ups for street rods and recently have started making a "mustang II" suspension for Nova's. Now, none of us Chevelle guys (an girls) will be running a mustang II set-up (it would be OK to own a Nova), but there is a VERY informative page on front suspension geometry. Click Here. Please note that the link will send you directly to the info page. Their whole web site is nice and if you are interested in street rods, you should check it out! Their main site can be entered by clicking here.
- Andreas Carlsson has a nice site and a section within it does a excellent job of breaking down VIN numbers. You can go directly to the section by clicking here. You can go to his chevelle page (part of his total web site) page by clicking here.
- Mike Pell has a really neat page that goes into how he made the "Mike Pell Auto Body Rotisserie" for his car. Click here for his main index page. Due to legal stuff, I have to add that you should be careful and use your head when working with anything heaver than 16 oz.
- Jeff Klemens is doing a complete frame-off restoration and his site is full of excellent photos (that are arranged in fast down-loading thumb nails) and diary type entries in regards to the work being done. If you think that a frame-off job is easy, then you have to go to this site! I really wish that my garage was as clean as Jeff Klemens or Mike Pells!
Reference, Tool, and Material Articles originally created by: Wes Vann
If you are interested in writing or assisting on a tech article, please contact Team Chevelle.
We would love to have you as part of our Team!