17" Plain Steel Wheels (Poverty caps) - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

Old Jul 24th, 05, 10:39 PM

Default 17" Plain Steel Wheels (Poverty caps)

Hello gang,

I've been reading post here for a while. This forum helped me set up my buddy's 69 Chevelle convertible with wheels and tires.

I have a 68 GTO convertible I'm almost finished with. I'll be getting wheels by fall. I've seen one GTO with 17" x 8" with plain steel wheels with poverty caps. http://forums.performanceyears.com/e...11/m/598109017

I've contacted Stockton wheel who built these. They will not build another set. I've also contacted 3-4 other wheelsmiths. No one builds these. Do you know of any sources for these? Sorry for asking here, but this forum is way more active than any Pontiac forum.

If not where can I find 15" x 8" plain steel wheels in the junk yard? I've heard on Caprice police cars and cabs. Is this right? I really love the look of poverty caps. I need to finish the goat so I can get on to my next project (68 El Camino SS). Hopefully I can start that by next spring.

Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 26th, 05, 12:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Default Re: 17" Plain Steel Wheels (Poverty caps)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Mahn
I've seen one GTO with 17" x 8" with plain steel wheels with poverty caps.
Actually, that was a 64 Tempest, not a GTO

Thats a pretty cool idea... I wonder how it looks in person...

They put the "redline" on the rim, but since the rim and tire are both black, it looks like a stock redline...

Any reason WHY Stockton Wheel won't make these?

Wheel vintiques out of Fresno maybe?
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
Old Jul 26th, 05, 3:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bryan

Send a message via ICQ to elcamino72 Send a message via AIM to elcamino72

Have you tried -
Wheelsmith
(714) 556-3861
2025 S Susan St
Santa Ana, CA 92704

They built a set of chrome reverse 15" wheels for my dad's 1959 pickup one time for use ... custom 6 lugs with our backspacing. They did a phenominal job and the price was only around $90 a wheel after shipping. Also, a few years after they did them one's chrome started to peal (just a little), they paid to have it shipped back and rechromed it for us. Good guy to deal with!

Favorite Quote: Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.
Old Jul 26th, 05, 3:34 PM
Tech Team

Gus,
Go check out these guys:
http://www.stocktonwheel.com/

They list the 17"x8" Rally wheels on their website and say that they will do Mopar Rally or steel wheels up to 17x10.
Old Jul 26th, 05, 10:55 PM

Unhappy Re: 17" Plain Steel Wheels (Poverty caps)

I'm not sure why Stockton wheel won't make another set. I think it is because the wheel would need a big step to fit the GM center, and nobody rolls a hoop that would fit. They have truck wheel exactly like I want, but it does not come with the small GM Bolt circle. B-man said the wheels took a long time and he had to pay up front. When I asked Stockton how they did his wheel, I got a smart a$$ comment like "he offered to be my wife". They REALLY don't seem like they want to do another set I will contact them one more time via e-mail. Perhaps they will explain a little better why they won't do it.

I did call Wheelsmith. He does make steel wheels 17x8 for $90 and 17x10 for $130 for the wheels which will be size perfect for me, but they don't look like GM wheels. They will not fit my GM center cap without making a bracket, and they are smooth where the wheel meets the hoop. There are no reliefs (holes) where the hoop meets the center as plain steel GM wheels have. It may be close enough (with the Pontiac center cap). It is going to be black so maybe it won't be too obvious. I hate to lay out $500 for something that isn't exactly what I want. Let me know if you have any other thoughts.
Old Jul 30th, 05, 1:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

i don't think GM ever made a plain steel 15X8 wheel with the 5X4.75 bolt pattern.
the cop cars came with 15X7 wheels, but they had the 5X5 bolt pattern that also fits half ton trucks.

-Hank Hill
Old Sep 5th, 05, 6:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

I tried to go the same route with Stockton, but it was a no-go. Fortunately, Wheel Vintiques just started making these (I think I may have gotten their first set). Here's a link to what they look like. The ones on my 66 are 17x8 w/4.5" bs front and 17x9 w/5.5" bs rear. I think they look pretty good for the sleeper look. Check out the pic. There are a couple more in my showroom.

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/sh...o/3100/cat/503

Tom
Old Sep 5th, 05, 11:12 PM

Thanks for the pictures Tom,

That looks like the route I'll have to take. I think the Stockton wheels look better, but at least the WV come in wider sizes. Do your caps snap onto the wheel center, or is there some type of adapter? How much do the wheels cost?

Thank You
Old Sep 5th, 05, 11:43 PM
Tech Team

TW,
Those wheels look great on your 66. Those might be what I need for another car I have on the back burner. What did those set you back?

Nik
Old Sep 6th, 05, 8:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Gus/Nik, The wheels are designed to use the stock center cap. No adaptor is needed. The wheels really look better in person. The car sits really nice. The wheels were not Cheap! I believe they were about $185 each with the powder coated primer (bare is $12 cheaper). I think these wheels are going to look great painted body color (Danube blue). Just a note, these are not light either! I didn't weigh them, but they weigh quite a bit more than the aluminum ones I took off. Doesn't matter to me though. I was looking for the "sleeper look" and these fit the bill. If I get a chance to take a full side shot of the car I'll post it.

Tom
Old Sep 6th, 05, 1:42 PM

Wink Re: 17" Plain Steel Wheels (Poverty caps)

I called WV (their web site is pretty but is hard to get around). They are plenty proud of those wheels. 17"x8" cost $220 and 17"x9" cost $230 both of them in black powder coat. Summit may be cheaper, but they need to call WV for a price. They are new enough, that VW does not yet have part numbers for them.

I will be getting a set regardless. At this point, my car won't be in color until spring. If they were around $100 (as smoothies are), I'd order them now, but at close to $1000 for the set, I'll wait until my car is painted. I know my wife will be plenty mad when she finds out I'm putting $1500+ into a set of "ugly" wheels

Here is a new link for the Stockton Wheels. The old one quit when the Pontiac board migrated to a new bbs.
http://216.178.81.108/forums/showthread.php?t=398076

Last edited by Gus_Mahn; Sep 6th, 05 at 5:13 PM.
Old Sep 6th, 05, 2:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

So no news from Stockton on why they won't do them? Seems odd, if they did them before, then I'd think they'd at least give you a price, even if it was high...

Tom, will those WV fit disc brakes?
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
Old Sep 7th, 05, 12:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Tony, My guess is that they either lost their shirt in the deal, or it was a royal pain.

Gus, What do the 68 pontiac poverty caps look like?

Tom
Old Sep 7th, 05, 1:22 PM

They are the same for '64 to '68, so they will look just like B-man's in the pictures above. There are two versions. I believe one just says "Pontiac". The other says "Pontiac Motor Division". I like the PMD caps a little better. I'd also like to do black wheels with a red 3/8"ish pin stipe like his wheels have. My car will be Springmist Green (Silver with green cast) and black convertible top again after the repaint.

Poverty caps seem to be making a come back. In previous years, I'd only seen one or two cars with 'em at the major GTO shows. This year in St Louis there were three or four cars with them including 68's and 69's. Of corse, it could just be a north vs. south deal. I really just love they way they look. They are simple and plain just like my car and most of the original musle cars were new. Mix the look with some modern 17" rubber and I'm happy. I will say that most people I show don't get it, but I don't mind. I like being a little different.

Gus
Old Sep 8th, 05, 8:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Gus, I hear you on being different. I have been pursuing this 17" with poverty caps for months. I have not seen anyone at any of our cruise nights with them. I see the stock wheels with them but no 17's. For some reason I can't access the picture through the link you posted. Good Luck.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Wheels & Tires      Current Topic: 17" Plain Steel Wheels (Poverty caps)
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.