Wagner Power Painter to Paint a Car? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Jun 7th, 03, 2:48 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Moloko
Ok, this may seem crazy but is there a good reason why I shouldnt use a Wagner Power Sprayer to paint a car? Hey now, dont laugh right away. They make some pretty nice ones. We sell a middle of the road one where I work that puts out 1300psi and has multiple speeds and spraying paterns. I know it wont do the best job, but would it probably turn out better than Macco? I am trained in paint and body, but I have no access to an air compressor nor do I have power in my garage to use one with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 7th, 03, 2:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hoarder Deluxe

I know someone who did it, but of course he shot house paint through it..spray cans would of came out better.
69 70 71 72 novas
37 Buick 47 Cadillac
other money pits and projects
Old Jun 7th, 03, 2:59 PM
Senior Tech Team

Well keeping in mind that I would sand it properly and not use a crappy version of it, would it at least turn out somewhat good with white paint? Either that, or do places rent sprayguns?
Old Jun 7th, 03, 3:04 PM
Senior Tech Team

I used to work for Wagner, so I know what you want and need. The lower end cup guns will do the job if set up properly.
1.Find a Fan pattern or V pattern nozzle if you cannot a small diameter nozzle.
2.They make a Swirl valve for petroleum based products, you MUST use one of these.
3.Solid colors are the easiest to spray and less likely to blush,zebra stripe or mottle.
4.All components need to be cleaned before you start mixing paint.
5.PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
When I worked there I used to paint cartoons on the side of a building they owned. I also worked in R&D testing all types of materials to spray.
Old Jun 7th, 03, 3:11 PM
Senior Tech Team

Do you recommend any certain gun? I can probably get about anything since I work for Ace Hardware.
Old Jun 7th, 03, 3:22 PM
Senior Tech Team

Skip any of the guns with electronics, you don't need it. The low end guns will work the best as they have a smaller motor. The smaller motor and tip will help you keep from running paint. Solid colors will work best and plan on wet sanding. You will need masks and ect, they will create overspray. Biggest thing is practice!
Old Jun 8th, 03, 2:29 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
but I have no access to an air compressor nor do I have power in my garage to use one with.
If you don't have power for an air compressor, how do you have power for a paint sprayer?

I would think that by the time you buy a power painter and the tips to go with it, you could rent a 3-5 HP compressor and a gun for the weekend and do the job (semi) correctly.

Several years ago, a friend of mine thought he would paint his old 4x4 with a Wagner...he mixed up his whole gallon of paint with hardner and accelerator, clipped on the "suck from the gallon can" attachment and painted for about 3 minutes before the gun seized up...spent about 15 minutes cleaning and another 2 painting before it seized again. About that time, the whole gallon of paint went ballistic because of the heat generated by the hardner/accelerator. Not a pretty sight!

I know he probably didn't have the proper parts in the gun. I also know they make parts for latex and parts for oil based paints but (maybe daveseitz knows) do the parts for oil based paints stand up to the hotter solvents like xylene and toluene found in automotive paints?

If it were me, I would say why not do a decent job to start with and spend the time with the details instead of on getting the paint to look "OK".
Old Jun 8th, 03, 9:37 AM
Senior Tech Team

I'd have to run any power off an extention cord. Before we moved into this house the power to the garage was cut by a lawnmower and the land lord refuses to fix it and says that we are not allowed to fix it. I would'nt feel safe running an air compressor off a 100ft extention cord.
Old Jun 8th, 03, 10:05 AM
Senior Tech Team

You could rent a gasoline powered air compressor.

I use a Wagner around the house, and that thing makes more overspray than anything I've ever seen.

Real treasures give you hugs.

The rest is just stuff.
Old Jun 8th, 03, 8:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hoarder Deluxe

I agree on using the gas powered compressor, that is what I used for years when painting cars. The gas powered ones recover faster and can keep up better than similarly sized electrics. I have an emglo 5hp and it worked great for painting.
69 70 71 72 novas
37 Buick 47 Cadillac
other money pits and projects
Old Jun 8th, 03, 10:57 PM
Tech Team

For what the average Joe will pay for a one timer on paint/materials/spray gun, compressor ect. you would be better off getting the $299 special at Macco. Macco sucks but it will be better than with a wagner or a rattle can.What kind of car are you painting?
Old Jun 9th, 03, 12:16 AM
Senior Tech Team

Im painting my Daytona. My friend can get me free PPG paints, so I figured it might be worth trying myself, if I screw up I'll strip it down again and take it to Macco and use the powerpainter to paint my garage.
Old Jun 10th, 03, 12:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Roland

Quote:
Originally posted by Moloko:
Im painting my Daytona. My friend can get me free PPG paints, so I figured it might be worth trying myself, if I screw up I'll strip it down again and take it to Macco and use the powerpainter to paint my garage.
If you get free PPG paint, why not do as others suggest and rent a gas compressor and do it right? Its not like you are having any cash outlay on materials, right? I've seen a Wagner painted vehicle and it SUCKED. IMHO, even with the "proper" setup with a Power painter, it still wouldnt be as good as a half assed REAL spray gun job.

-Ayn Rand
Old Jun 10th, 03, 12:28 PM
Senior Tech Team

I didnt even know they mad gas compressors until you guys mentioned them. Im actually prepared to buy one. Any sites you know of that sell them?
Old Jun 10th, 03, 1:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Quote:
but would it probably turn out better than Macco?
I have seen a few cars up close that were painted at Maaco-type shops (competitors)... There were not that bad...

In fact, I had a 66 El Camino, that place 2nd in its class (out of about 15-20 cars) with a $350 paint job, and that cost included painting the stock wheels, bed and door jambs (okay, it was 10 years ago)...

But with proper prep on your part, I think you can get a decent job from these places...

As for the compressor, gas is a good choice, but why the worry about the extention cord? Buy some HD Romex, etc and some ends and make your own Heavy Duty cord... I'd figure which compressor you'd rather have in the future (when you do have the proper electrical), and think about that one...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Body Shop      Current Topic: Wagner Power Painter to Paint a Car?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.