One piece rear main seal, sbc - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Jul 21st, 05, 10:12 AM
Senior Tech Team

Default One piece rear main seal, sbc

I'm using '88 block with a one piece rear main seal. Engine is fresh, as is the Felpro rear main seal. But it appears to be leaking pretty badly when the engine is under load. I'm not sure how I could of screwed this up. It's either on, or not.

Anyone have experience with this type of block/seal?

I remember when installing it, it was a rear pain to get over the end of the crank, but once it was on, it almost seemed to loose then. The seal didn't appear to flip or anything either.

Should I use a GM rear main seal instead?

Edit, looking at a pic of the gasket kit I used. What is the large round gasket?

Last edited by MarkM; Jul 21st, 05 at 10:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 21st, 05, 12:15 PM
Senior Tech Team

Default Re: One piece rear main seal, sbc

Those rear main seals are pretty much ful proof make sure there is not a burr on the edge of the crank that is cutting the seal and I have seen guys open the seal package with a razor blade and cut the lip of the seal and and have a leak. And there is no groove worn in the crank if there is they make a speedy sleeve to to take care of it.
Old Jul 21st, 05, 12:27 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Mark,
The Fel Pro seal is as good as you will find. You do have to be careful when you tighten the bolts that hold the seal retainer to the block, as the retainer tends to move and can get off center. I always tighten them very lightly and a little on each bolt at a time while watching the retainer to make sure it does not move. I have never seen the second round gasket in your picture, I wonder if it is for the LS1 series engines ? What was the part number on the gasket box ?
You mentioned that the seal was leaking under a load ???? Does it leak just sitting there idleing ? If not, I wonder if you have a problem with crankcase pressure that is forcing the oil past the seal ? What type of breather setup is on the engine ?

Enginerepairshop.com

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
Old Jul 21st, 05, 1:07 PM
Senior Tech Team

Thanks for the replys. I figured it was pretty much full (or is it fool? lol) proof too.

I'm not sure on part number.

I don't think it leaks at idle. I'll have to look further into that though. I do know at under load, it's leaking bad and coating the exhaust sytem and smoking like a banshee.

I'm running a dual breather set up. No PCV. So maybe they're not cutting it.

He're some info, and more of my current problem.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60715
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: One piece rear main seal, sbc
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.