How do you clean a HO race track? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

Old Jun 23rd, 05, 9:34 PM
Senior Tech Team

Default How do you clean a HO race track?

We just got a used HO race track from a friend, and it has got a lot of oxidation on the rails. I could go over the whole thing with fine emery cloth or steel wool, but it would take forever (it's a pretty large track) so I would like to find some kind of "wipe on, wipe off" solution instead. I tried Brasso, but it didnt work. Is there anything better I can use?
Advertisement

Old Jun 23rd, 05, 9:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
wes

Default Re: How do you clean a HO race track?

I use to have Lionel model trains and the steel tracks would also oxidize. I just used steel wool and cleans right up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 23rd, 05, 10:08 PM
Gold Member
Gene

How about Nver-dull wad, or some wd-40 on a rag. Electric eraser might work well too.
Team Chevelle Gold #14
Old Jun 23rd, 05, 10:40 PM
Team Member
Joe

I can remember using an Ink pen eraser. One swipe ought to do it.

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/sh...2/limit/recent
Old Jun 23rd, 05, 10:56 PM
Team Member

They make electronic spray cleaner that doesn't conduct electricity or leave a residue. Shouldn't hurt the the plastic track itself but I bet if you spray it on and follow with a rag the corosion will clean right up.
Camaros Limited
Old Jun 23rd, 05, 11:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jerry

Have to watch steel wool. Tiny particles can and WILL short out the rails! Use a scotch brite pad OR go to your local train/hobby shop for some track cleaner. I use a special track cleaner pad and track cleaner liquid on my Lionel layout once a month to clean the rails.
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle and now a 2006 Mustang GT.
676,000+ miles on car & semi retired, like me!
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle
Old Jun 23rd, 05, 11:46 PM
Senior Tech Team

Well, upon closer inspection I realized that I probably will need something abrasive. I didn't want to use that first because it will ruin the plating, but some sections have a thick, white layer of oxide, so acid dipping would probably be the only way to do it chemically. I tried WD-40 and Aero Kroil, but they didn't do much good, the oxidation is just too bad.

I also tried steel wool and after cleaning a few feet of track we tried the cars on it. They took off like top fuelers, but to my horror I saw big sparks flying, almost like there was a major short somewhere. When I picked up the cars I realized that the magnets in the motors had picked up all the steel wool debris, and the cars looked like they were growing hair underneath I ran a magnet over the track and then the vacuum cleaner. Should obviously have done that before trying the cars.

Steel wool works, some of the track is clean but I really don't want to make a mess again so that ink pen eraser might be the next thing to try. If I have time I'll go to Radio Shack to get some of that electronic spray cleaner. If nothing else, it should work for maintenance cleaning after I have everything up and running.

So... any more ideas?
Old Jun 23rd, 05, 11:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Do not use steel wool. Not only does it say that in the original instructions, but it does get caught up in the magnets of your cars. I use emery cloth on the metal rails or very fine sandpaper on a small wooden block and it does the same trick. Just vacuum it up before racing the cars.
Old Jun 23rd, 05, 11:59 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Real
Do not use steel wool. Not only does it say that in the original instructions, but it does get caught up in the magnets of your cars. I use emery cloth on the metal rails or very fine sandpaper on a small wooden block and it does the same trick. Just vacuum it up before racing the cars.
I don't have the original instructions. And instructions are for whimps and women. I prefer to do it the hard way

As a matter of fact, I just found a small aluminum block about 1" * 1/2" * 3/4", and wrapped some 400 paper around it. Worked great! I might try a wooden block tomorrow, I figure it will follow the contour of the rails a bit better, they seem to be a bit rounded on top.
Old Jun 24th, 05, 12:04 AM
Tech Team

Smile Re: How do you clean a HO race track?

Well..........was gonna say, don't use steel wool.......never mind.

Jerry.....Keep the Hudsons rolling..........

ktownkid
Old Jun 24th, 05, 12:23 AM
Tech Team
David

Olle,

Check out a few sites such as:

http://hoslotcarracing.com/ - awesome info!

From this site: Plastic HO Slot Car track needs to be cleaned from time to time. Under normal use oil from the cars will be deposited on the plastic track surface. This thin film of oil will attract and hold dust and dirt.

The best way that I have found to clean plastic HO Slot Car track is to use Formula 409 Professional Heavy Duty Cleaner. Use the Green De-Greaser formulation and spray it on a soft, lint-free rag. Wipe the entire track with your dampened rag and then follow up with a clean dry cloth.

The metal power rails used in plastic HO Slot Car track oxidize with age. The easiest way to remove this built up oxidation is by rubbing a silver coin on a pair of lane rails. Press the coin firmly against a pair of lane rails and move the coin around the entire track in the same direction the cars normally race. Repeat this process for each lane. A Nickel seems to work the best for this.

To slow the inevitable return of rail oxidation apply a product such as Track Zip to the lane rails once a month. Track Zip can be found at most hobby shops in the Model Railroading Department.

I'm big into slot cars, drop me a line.
Chevelles & Slot Cars!
Old Jun 24th, 05, 12:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

If this track is anything like model railroading. Try not to use something abrasive. It puts grooves in the track and makes it harder to get oxidation out.

When the Boogeyman goes to bed, he checks the closet for Chuck Norris.

If it aint broke, just give me a minute.
Old Jun 24th, 05, 3:09 AM
Gold Founding Member
Darren

I still have my original train set. 95% of the cars are in the original boxes, even. Played with it for years as a kid, set it up in the morning, boxed it up at the end of the day. Mostly Tyco HO stuff. Untouched by my own kids, thus not destroyed in 2 hours.
Beach Cam
TC #78 Gold, ACES #3130
Old Jun 24th, 05, 4:20 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

I don't know if you can find anything like this anymore...

But back in the day I had a special eraser from Tyco that was slightly abrasive and intended to clean the pickups on HO slot cars. It was just the ticket for cleaning the rails on Aurora AFX track. I am reminded of typing erasers, something else that you likely cannot find anymore.

I would be careful with abrasives in general since most will also abrade the track surface. Might not be a good thing or what you want to do.
Old Jun 24th, 05, 7:48 AM
Senior Tech Team

Well, I would stay away from abrasives if I could, but this track must have been sitting in a damp basement or something. I tried the 400 paper, and after that I could see that the tracks are actually pitted in some places, that's how bad it is. I tried the coin method as well, and even if it did clean off quite a bit of oxidation, it didn't get all of it.

I'm going to get more 400 paper and a sixpack this afternoon, I think it's the quickest and easiest way to go. I'm not too concerned about ruining the track, it's already ruined by the oxidation. My friend paid $3 for it at a yard sale, so it's not like losing a fortune either. Thanks for the replies guys!
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Information Exchange > Bench Racing      Current Topic: How do you clean a HO race track?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.